Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much more Mayweather needs to do to be serious candidate for GOAT?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by CTE90; 04-02-2020, 12:49 PM.

As talented as he is theres others that have equal and more talent and much more appeal than Floyd does. He's not exactly an exciting fighter although he can be in spurts. Theres many more in the WW division alone that are worth the admission to see and more. Frankly I don't care to watch Floyd unless he's in a position to be the agressor, counter movers and punchers bore me. I see the talent but theres more talent in stalking and being the sgressor than there is be a passive agressor. It never sold tickets and still doesn't get my money. Men like Leonard, Duran, Hearns would overwhelm Floyd because their stronger and punch harder. Past greats like Sugarman would be to much for Floyd to deal with, if he went to the ropes with these men he'd get hurt badly. When you reach the top of a class you usually need a punch to maintain your position this is the first time that I can remember when the Welter class was controlled by boxers with average power. No way can I say that Pacman and Floyd are big punchers, they're not!!!
    I would have enjoyed Floyd with Sugar Shane in a series of bouts with Shane having a little more youth and strength instead of the condition he was in when he fought Floyd. I believe those two are the best in the class and give Pacman all the credit for invading a class that he was no where near just a few years back and actually dominating it to the point where Floyd won't fight him. Yet! Ray
    Last edited by Ray Corso; 04-26-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

after Cotto, can you put together 5 fight resume that could raise him to level of those Greatest that ever lived?
      Last edited by Florence52; 04-26-2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

It would be practically impossible in another 5 fights to get to the level of greatness that the legends of the sport have commanded. Many fought so many more times than Floyd, and against many other legendary fighters.

That said Floyd's record and ability does command notice......I can't think of many welterweights in history that I would pick to beat Floyd. His resume isn't bad at all! He is a sure fire ATG and one of the most talented to have ever laced them up.

To be in with a serious shout at being the GOAT; after Cotto, he'd have to absolutely annihilate Pacquiou. There would be nothing much left at welterweight for him at that point. khan might be a good fight?!

If he were then to do some division dancing and were to defeat say Sergio Martinez at middleweight, then Andre Ward at super middleweight.....believe me, people would be seriously impressed. Then to crown it all, beat the winner of Hopkins vs Dawson at light heavyweight!! Then and just then might people start to think that he might be better than Robinson and the rest!

This is all far too far fetched though. You might as well say that after Cotto he should bulk up with a view to toppling one of the Klitschkos!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          It would be practically impossible in another 5 fights to get to the level of greatness that the legends of the sport have commanded. Many fought so many more times than Floyd, and against many other legendary fighters.

That said Floyd's record and ability does command notice......I can't think of many welterweights in history that I would pick to beat Floyd. His resume isn't bad at all! He is a sure fire ATG and one of the most talented to have ever laced them up.

To be in with a serious shout at being the GOAT; after Cotto, he'd have to absolutely annihilate Pacquiou. There would be nothing much left at welterweight for him at that point. khan might be a good fight?!

If he were then to do some division dancing and were to defeat say Sergio Martinez at middleweight, then Andre Ward at super middleweight.....believe me, people would be seriously impressed. Then to crown it all, beat the winner of Hopkins vs Dawson at light heavyweight!! Then and just then might people start to think that he might be better than Robinson and the rest!

This is all far too far fetched though. You might as well say that after Cotto he should bulk up with a view to toppling one of the Klitschkos!
          He's not a true Welterweight. Being too small would be a big decider in a a lot of matches against true Welterweights.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

I was gonna say Pac, Martinez, and Ward. The dawson bhop winner is just ludicrous.

Comment

Martinez and Pacquiao are do-able. Against Ward it just isn't happening for Floyd.

Comment

delete this ****ing thread.

hes 35

Comment

Pac, Sergio, Ward and retiring undefeated is good enough to legitimately be it. That won't happen though.

Another route would be if Bradley beats Pac, and then Floyd beats Martinez, Bradley, and Pac. Let's throw Sturm in too.
                  Last edited by Cardinal Buck; 04-26-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                    Pac, Sergio, Ward and retiring undefeated is good enough to legitimately be it.

A: there is no way he beats andre ward

b: and if he does it will say a lot more about how bad ward would have to be to lose to an old WW. he wont get enough credit from that alone. and martinez and pacquiao are likewise at the end of their careers, and pacquiao is small.

it's just impossible

to answer the question (and illustrate how silly it is,)

both klitschkos
                    lengthy tenure at 160 and 175
                    stop ward
                    stop dawson
                    stop bute

into his forties

Comment

Working...
                    X