Collapse
No announcement yet.

IBF champ Steve Molitor targets unification with WBO champ Wilfredo Vazquez JR

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBF champ Steve Molitor targets unification with WBO champ Wilfredo Vazquez JR

Taken from theboxingexaminer.com

What are your thoughts? Entertaining fight probably put on a Top Rank undercard.

CANADIAN boxer and IBF junior featherweight champion Steve Molitor’s future prospects will not be jeopardised by the defence on Saturday night against Takalani Ndlovu.
    a

Calm yet lively, Molitor told Sowetan in an exclusive interview at a top hotel in Sandton on Sunday that he was targeting WBO junior featherweight holder Wilfredo Vazquez Jr for a money-spinning unification bout.
    a

“I am looking far beyond Takalani. There is no shadow of a doubt that I will beat him on Saturday. I beat him twice before and I will do it again on Saturday. But for me the man I must really beat is Vazquez, he said.

a

Their third meeting at Nasrec Arena on Saturday night will be Molitor’s mandatory defence.
    a

Promoter Branco Milenkovic, who will stage it, said it will be the last clash between the “Canadian Kid” and “The Panther”, irrespective of the result.
    a

Molitor regained the title on March 27 after outpointing Ndlovu and defended successfully against Jason Booth on September 11.
    a

Molitor’s first grip on this title, which returned here after 10 years since then holder Lehlohonolo Ledwaba defended successfully against Carlos Contreras at Carnical City on April 22 2001, was in 2006 against Michael Hunter.
    a

Molitor’s first defence was against Ndlovu in 2007. He lost in his seventh defence to Celestino Caballero on November 21 2008. Caballero was later stripped for refusing to defend against Ndlovu and the IBF ordered Ndlovu and Molitor to fight for the vacant title and Molitor won.
    a

The reigning champion revealed on Sunday that the confirmed arrival of his first daughter on March 30 has given him a new lease on life.
    a

“I am excited. It has motivated and pushed me to work ever harder. That is why I want to unify with Vasquez and get a bigger cheque before I quit,” the married father of two boys said. “I commend Takalani for doing well to pursue his wish to win a world title but not the IBF belt, another title, maybe.”
    a

And fighting away doesn’t worry Molitor.
    a

“I have never lost a fight away. Fighting away from home enables me to focus and concentrate.
    a

“I’ve been here for 10 days. All is well, hotel is first class, gym right next to my hotel. I am more than ready,” he said.
    a

The left-hander’s enormous skills are honed by Chris Johnson.

Molitor has been very gunshy since his lost to Caballero, I don't think he beats Vazquez Jr. at this point although he has the defensive skills to make Vazquez Jr. look bad.

Comment

WV2-Molitor should be made later this year

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        Molitor has been very gunshy since his lost to Caballero, I don't think he beats Vazquez Jr. at this point although he has the defensive skills to make Vazquez Jr. look bad.
        im amolitor fan & agree he has been gunshy since the caballero fight but he has beaten takalani & then booth since following 2 lackluster wins.big fight this weekend.he shouldnt look past takalani evn though he beat him twice.

Comment

Working...
        X