Will we eventually find other life?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we eventually find other life?

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20111...i_alien_planet

some day we will. Whether that's tomorrow or 20 years or 1,000 years it will happen.

Comment

Excuse me for being ignorant on this, but I don't understand why every article I read about finding Alien life, the scientists claim to be looking for Earth like planets that could have life on them?

Is this the only way they think life could exist? With planets that are similar to earth?

No possibility of creatures swimming in lava or living without oxygen, breathing in something else. If we're talking extraterrestrial Aliens, try envisioning Aliens living in a environment that's nothing like ours.
      Last edited by cupocity303; 12-05-2011, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Sure, but it will be single-cell bacterial life (or more likely preserved/remnants of it). Humanity will never leave this solar system, which is also a limiting factor.
        Last edited by Miburo; 12-05-2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
          Excuse me for being ignorant on this, but I don't understand why every article I read about finding Alien life, the scientists claim to be looking for Earth like planets that could have life on them?

Is this the only way they think life could exist? With planets that are similar to earth?

No possibility of creatures swimming in lava or living without oxygen, breathing in something else. If we're talking Aliens, try envisioning Aliens living in a environment that's nothing like ours.
          Most of these "scientists" are closet sci-fi enthusiasts desperate to find green alien women.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
            Sure, but it will be single-cell bacterial life (or more likely preserved/remnants of it). Humanity will never leave this solar system, which is also a limiting factor.
            We would destroy ourselves before our technology got advanced enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Paclan View Post
              We would destroy ourselves before our technology got advanced enough.
              I don't believe the technology is possible. Current physics holds it to be impossible, the distances are too great and the speeds too slow. Therefore it would require something like centuries-long cold sleep, and we have no way of telling whether planets are habitable or not at this range. Not happening, even in a few thousand years.
              Last edited by Miburo; 12-05-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Yes we will, it's just a matter of time.

Comment

No.

Do the math. One light year is exactly... 9,460,730,472,580.8 km.

A possible "twin earth" is 600 light years away. That is... 5,676,438,283,548,480 km.

Now you translate that into years. By the time the light of our sun reaches that planet, we are dead. Or by the time Nasa spotted it, they are dead.

Your looking into the past when you see those stars. Or into the future, which means your dead. Nothing exists outside this solar system.

Also, inter-dimension ≠ Aliens. btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
                    I don't believe the technology is possible. Current physics holds it to be impossible, the distances are too great and the speeds too slow. Therefore it would require something like centuries-long cold sleep, and we have no way of telling whether planets are habitable or not at this range. Not happening, even in a few thousand years.
                    Yeah we used to think that the earth was flat and there was nothing past Europe.

Physics will change.

Comment

Working...
                    X