No announcement yet.

Reasons why welterweight is on the rise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons why welterweight is on the rise

The Welterweight division is starting to look better more and more. Here's why: (in no order)

1. Ortiz has prooven himself a force regardless of what happens saturday night.
    2. Berto is good, always brings it, and is getting better experience with good, credible fighters.
    3. Good fighters moving up in the near future like Amir Khan, Maidana (maybe), etc.
    4. Solid fighters who come to fight like Zaveck and are popping up more and more.
    5. Pac and Floyd are both fighting and they have good opponents, best they've had in years. (Cross fingers for spring 2012).
    6. You never know what prospects could turn out to be the real deal like Mike Jones and Kell Brook.

Welterweight is on the rise because it has the best balance of speed, durability and power, making for some exciting fights. And of course like you said it has some big names, so other divisions boxers are gravitating towards it.

Comment

1. Pacquiao, nuff said.
      2. Mayweather was forced to go back because because of money and his envy with Pacquiao.
      3. Amir Khan is climbing to welters.

Comment

Originally posted by Visceral View Post
        The Welterweight division is starting to look better more and more. Here's why: (in no order)

1. Ortiz has prooven himself a force regardless of what happens saturday night.
        2. Berto is good, always brings it, and is getting better experience with good, credible fighters.
        3. Good fighters moving up in the near future like Amir Khan, Maidana (maybe), etc.
        4. Solid fighters who come to fight like Zaveck and are popping up more and more.
        5. Pac and Floyd are both fighting and they have good opponents, best they've had in years. (Cross fingers for spring 2012).
        6. You never know what prospects could turn out to be the real deal like Mike Jones and Kell Brook.
        I'd say its because those two are getting old & will retire soon. There isn't any reason why the two best fighters in boxing shouldn't be fighting each other. Floyd fights rarely anymore,( but at least he fought the lineal champ & now the #2 title holder). Pacman's been active the entire time, but notice how no one you named in the division got a shot at him. I guarantee you that when they're gone everyone else will be anxious to get in there & mix it up.

Comment

Originally posted by dosepulgada View Post
          1. Pacquiao, nuff said.
          2. Mayweather was forced to go back because because of money and his envy with Pacquiao.
          3. Amir Khan is climbing to welters.

Comment

I have different reasons:

Marcos Maidana is climbing up to the Welterweight division next year.

Victor Ortiz win or lose still has a lot of fights in the Welterweight to make him exciting.

Amir Khan he has rematches with about half of the new Welterweights in 2012.

Timothy Bradley is in the mix.

Devon Alexander vs Paulie Malignaggi - to me is interesting.

Mike Jones getting a crack against Golden Boy stable.

Andre Berto is still a legitimate threat and young.

Pacquiao and Mayweather in whatever fights will always bring the money.

Also, if Pacquiao fights Gamboa next year. I will go to Top Rank's office and burn it to the ground.

Comment

All the guys at 140 are moving up, that alone improves the division immensely.

Comment

Originally posted by Visceral View Post
                5. Pac and Floyd are both fighting and they have good opponents, best they've had in years.
                I cannot agree with this Marquez is not a good opponent north of 135, I think Ortiz is Floyds toughest opponent for a while but Marquez vs Pac its a fight I have no interest in its yet another past prime old man fighting at a catch weight.

The WW division is getting stronger however and it will be interesting to see who rains supreme when Pac and Floyd retire (hopefully soon).

Comment

Welterweight has always been my favorite division.

It's the perfect mix of speed, power, boxing skill.

You got guys that can bang, box, and boogie.

Comment

historically, WW is one of the glory divisions, second only to middleweight and heavyweight. there will always be talent and depth because it's just a promotable division, for lack of a better description. and yes, all the above reasons serve to show why! great fighters with lots of potential style clashes waiting to happen! LONG LIVE WELTERWEIGHT!

Comment

Working...
                    X