No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: No Need To End This Bernard Hopkins Renaissance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: No Need To End This Bernard Hopkins Renaissance

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I confess. I’d never been the biggest Bernard Hopkins fan.

In fact, it wasn’t all that long ago – while slaving for another boxing master – that I penned a column titled “Goodbye Bernard, Old Buddy” in the run-up to the old man’s (he was a month shy of 41 at the time) loss to Jermain Taylor in the second of their middleweight title fights in December 2005.

Back then, as his claim to the 160-pound fiefdom was finally loosened after 11 years, I was more than happy to break from collective media stride by both forecasting a second straight Taylor win (via stoppage, in 10 rounds) and questioning the idea that his prolonged run there had made him a legend.

The latter, incidentally, is a viewpoint I have no shame in maintaining here in 2013.

In my mind, had Hopkins retired after meeting JT once or twice, the resume he’d compiled while working the Allen/Hakkar/Mercado circuit – with a few ex-welterweights thrown in for flavor – would have warranted lasting respect from fans… but no celebratory plaque in upstate New York. [Click Here To Read More]

I know Lyle copped a lot of s**t for the way he talked about Gatti a couple of weeks back, something I disapproved of too, but respect where it's due, he was big enough to apologise for it. There's no denying he's a good writer.

Comment

It's obvious that B-Hop is nothing compared to what he was, losing to a relative scrub like Chad Dawson proves that, however he is still a sound technician, and doesn't take beaings in fights. As long as he's safe in there let the man fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
        By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I confess. I’d never been the biggest Bernard Hopkins fan.

In fact, it wasn’t all that long ago – while slaving for another boxing master – that I penned a column titled “Goodbye Bernard, Old Buddy” in the run-up to the old man’s (he was a month shy of 41 at the time) loss to Jermain Taylor in the second of their middleweight title fights in December 2005.

Back then, as his claim to the 160-pound fiefdom was finally loosened after 11 years, I was more than happy to break from collective media stride by both forecasting a second straight Taylor win (via stoppage, in 10 rounds) and questioning the idea that his prolonged run there had made him a legend.

The latter, incidentally, is a viewpoint I have no shame in maintaining here in 2013.

In my mind, had Hopkins retired after meeting JT once or twice, the resume he’d compiled while working the Allen/Hakkar/Mercado circuit – with a few ex-welterweights thrown in for flavor – would have warranted lasting respect from fans… but no celebratory plaque in upstate New York. [Click Here To Read More]
        Boring Hopkins did indeed go to the wire with Calzaghe but lost and also embarrassed himself with his behavior. The omission of the word lost demonstrates bias, which understandable from the average idiot is a shame and telling from a professional journalist.
        Those who maintain Hopkins won, either don't understand boxings rules or are again idiots.
        Bernard is a gent and a wonderful guy I think, but the only time he would seriously say he deserved the win over Calzaghe is in front of a camera. In reality he is not that stupid to believe it honestly, but he knows most fans are.

Comment

Originally posted by AndMarvisIsDown View Post
          I know Lyle copped a lot of s**t for the way he talked about Gatti a couple of weeks back, something I disapproved of too, but respect where it's due, he was big enough to apologise for it. There's no denying he's a good writer.
          He's still sore over Gatti, towards the end of the article he offhandedly called Gatti nothing more then just a 'flash' in boxing.

Comment

Cloud has a whooping coming to him for robbing Campillo
            and Hopkins deserves better than retiring on a Dawson loss
            only so long Hopkins can keep dodging the clock though
            he should beat Cloud, and retire with his last title
            think this is the last fight Hopkins has it in him to win
            if he hangs on any longer, he'll get beat up by someone

Comment

Originally posted by luke1979 View Post
              Boring Hopkins did indeed go to the wire with Calzaghe but lost and also embarrassed himself with his behavior. The omission of the word lost demonstrates bias, which understandable from the average idiot is a shame and telling from a professional journalist.
              Those who maintain Hopkins won, either don't understand boxings rules or are again idiots.
              Bernard is a gent and a wonderful guy I think, but the only time he would seriously say he deserved the win over Calzaghe is in front of a camera. In reality he is not that stupid to believe it honestly, but he knows most fans are.
              Lol Because Calzaghe slapping his shoulders like a lil girl who just got dumped means he clearly won when Hopkins was the only one actually landing clean punches?

Hopkins is a legend. I'm am definitely enjoying whatever him and Marquez do at this point they are both 2 ATG legends of the sport still at the top. I'm gonna miss them when their gone. So they can fight til their hearts desire and I will always cheer

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
                Lol Because Calzaghe slapping his shoulders like a lil girl who just got dumped means he clearly won when Hopkins was the only one actually landing clean punches?

Hopkins is a legend. I'm am definitely enjoying whatever him and Marquez do at this point they are both 2 ATG legends of the sport still at the top. I'm gonna miss them when their gone. So they can fight til their hearts desire and I will always cheer
                Exactly. He even dropped the protected Welshman on his duff. Calzighe was little more than a better verson of Ottke.

Comment

Co-Sign to the article premise. A lot of people just can't stand an old guy surpassing expectations for that age. There is a Lance Armstrong sentiment to it as well.

That "there is no way this guy can still win at this age unless he is using PED's". First they pick him to get beaten up, that his time has come, then when they're wrong, they resort to accusations. When that line of attack doesn't work, then is just "boring".

Comment

What BHop has done in the ring over the years has been masterful...

Comment

Working...
                    X