No announcement yet.

Angel Manfredy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Manfredy

So what is your sentiment on this guy? I think he was talented but an underachiever. He did beat Gatti, Robinson and Grove, but he fought guys he never shoulda fought, Mayweather and Corrales. Mayweather stoppage was a bit premature however, but it didn't look like Angel was doing well. He made a brave effort against Corrales, but chose the wrong fighting plan. He slugged too much. He was quick on his feet and had good punching power, his chin was solid too. I think he had enough skills to become a champion and rule for some time too, but the divisions were very strong, both 130, 135 and 140 at the time. He lost a close decision to Spadafora in his last title fight.

As a person, he seemed a bit arrogant to me. Good to hear he got his act together after the car accident.

Decent fighter.

Was considered A top 5 Jr Lightweight for a couple of years in the late 90's if I remember correctly.

I remember in the build up before Mayweather fought Manfredy, whatever broadcast was showing the fight I cant rememberm but they said that Manfredy was ranked #3 at 130.

Manfredy was talented but you hit the nail on the head with the term 'underacheiver'. He has some solid wins but just didn't reach his potential.

The stoppage may have been a little early in the Mayweather fight but he was hurt my the shot Mayweather landed and was taking alot of shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
      So what is your sentiment on this guy? I think he was talented but an underachiever. He did beat Gatti, Robinson and Grove, but he fought guys he never shoulda fought, Mayweather and Corrales. Mayweather stoppage was a bit premature however, but it didn't look like Angel was doing well. He made a brave effort against Corrales, but chose the wrong fighting plan. He slugged too much. He was quick on his feet and had good punching power, his chin was solid too. I think he had enough skills to become a champion and rule for some time too, but the divisions were very strong, both 130, 135 and 140 at the time. He lost a close decision to Spadafora in his last title fight.

As a person, he seemed a bit arrogant to me. Good to hear he got his act together after the car accident.
      Had he come a couple years earlier, he might've wore a strap. I always liked Manfredy, I was impressed from his first fight on HBO. Well-schooled with a heart and chin (at least before Floyd, anyway). And a little pizazz too. Unique style. After he beat Rodriguez, I was convinced he was going to wipe the floor with Gatti. And save for that body shot that hurt him momentarily, he fought a perfect fight. The hook that dropped Gatti was pretty sick too. He seemed to have lost something following that Floyd fight but prior to that, he was one of my favorite active fighters. Wish the game had more guys like him to expose these network creampuffs coming up nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        Had he come a couple years earlier, he might've wore a strap. I always liked Manfredy, I was impressed from his first fight on HBO. Well-schooled with a heart and chin (at least before Floyd, anyway). And a little pizazz too. Unique style. After he beat Rodriguez, I was convinced he was going to wipe the floor with Gatti. And save for that body shot that hurt him momentarily, he fought a perfect fight. The hook that dropped Gatti was pretty sick too. He seemed to have lost something following that Floyd fight but prior to that, he was one of my favorite active fighters. Wish the game had more guys like him to expose these network creampuffs coming up nowadays.
        I think it was Corrales who kinda ruined him. He absorbed more punishment there than against Floyd. For one more round too.

Comment

I think it was Corrales who kinda ruined him. He absorbed more punishment there than against Floyd. For one more round too.
          I don't know. Don't think it matters. Just know that prior to the Mayweather fight, I hadn't ever seen him seriously hurt before. After that, it was a common occurrence.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            I don't know. Don't think it matters. Just know that prior to the Mayweather fight, I hadn't ever seen him seriously hurt before. After that, it was a common occurrence.
            Mayhap...he struck me as a very confident, cocky guy in the Gatti postfight interview. Such guys, when they experience their first loss can come apart totally. And when they get back, they are just not the same.

Comment

I liked Angel Manfredy. Action type fighter & with his chin, it was kill or be killed.

I'll also remember him as being mentioned over & over, as being in almost as many car accidents as he had fights! Dude must have had Leon as his Driver's Ed instructor!

I also liked it that he gave his life to Christ & wasn't shy about proclaiming his faith on TV. Good for him!

Comment

Mayhap...he struck me as a very confident, cocky guy in the Gatti postfight interview. Such guys, when they experience their first loss can come apart totally. And when they get back, they are just not the same.
                I do believe the mental aspect of losing to Floyd shook him. Sometimes its way less damaging to take a lot of punishment in a fight you have a chance in than to get touched up quickly and have no idea what to do.

All in all I liked Manfredy. He just made too many excuses for my liking. Good fighter though.

Comment

Working...
                X