No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tarver’s Heavyweight Journey Stalled With Kayode Draw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tarver’s Heavyweight Journey Stalled With Kayode Draw

By Jake Donovan - Former light heavyweight king Antonio Tarver has aspirations of one day conquering the Klitschko brothers and claiming the heavyweight throne.

Those dreams – a wild stretch to begin with – remain way down the road after struggling to a split decision draw with Lateef Kayode in their cruiserweight battle Saturday evening in Carson, California.

Scores were 115-113 Tarver, 115-113 Kayode and 114-114 in their Showtime-televised main event, which began slow but picked up steam as the rounds progressed.

The early rounds saw the much younger Kayode winning the fight purely on activity. The transplanted Nigerian wasn’t exactly a ball of energy at any point in the fight, but early on was far more active than Tarver, who fell to old habits in looking for opportunities rather than letting his hands go.

The deliberate start by the 43-year old southpaw essentially cost him the fight, though it also stands to reason that a faster start means that Tarver doesn’t have as much energy in the later rounds.

What became a matter of fact was that Tarver was able to hurt Kayode far more than the opposite proved to be true, despite the younger fighter being billed as the power puncher. It was Tarver who landed the more telling blows in the second half of the fight, scoring with a huge left hand in the eighth round to stun Kayode for the first time in the fight.

The sequence was a much needed shift in momentum and drama, as the bout lacked sorely lacked both prior to that point. The boo birds began early in the evening on a televised card in which all four bouts went the distance and didn’t deliver a lot of action and were loud and clear for much of the first half of the main event.

Tarver’s burst of energy in the later rounds helped turn the jeers into cheers. In the end, it also helped avoid an embarrassing defeat, even if the veteran didn’t quite see things that way. [Click Here To Read More]

He looks slow and overweight at 200. There's no point going higher.

Comment

Kayode got gifted a draw. He was shown up as crude and - for all his conditioning - unable to keep up with the slow pace set by Tarver.

Tarver was the only one landing effective shots. I gave him 3,6,7,8,9,11 - all clear Tarver rounds. 10 and 12 were close, but even in those the cleanest shots were by Tarver although he was inactive for large parts - but so was Kayode.

Kayode threw crude combinations and got 1,2,4,5 on activity, but looked short on ideas and once Tarver figured him out, he looked out of his depth.

Tarver 5 years ago blows this guy out in 6 rounds.

Comment

overall the card was unimpressive...

Comment

glad the card was free I wouldn't have paid 2 watch a very ordinary promtion...Carver is competitive nothing more & should retuire b4 some1 blasts him out...a Hvywt he's not & would only be emabarassed & ko'd even in the weakest division in boxing...

Comment

It was a good night of Boxing. I guess I saw different fight than most. Close fight but I didnt give it to Tarver thats for sure. And that mouse under Tarver's eye was not caused by a headbutt or any missed punches.

Comment

He needs to stay away from heavyweights, no way he beats a top 10. He will only beat journeyman and will have problems with any legitimate contender.

Comment

i think if anything looking bad would only secure him a Klit shot LOL relax Klit fans im only havin some fun, i actually thought the Card was great, the fights were pretty good but not great but aye, 3 decent fights 2 title fights for free...... Brilliant!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo Mc is **** View Post
                  He looks slow and overweight at 200. There's no point going higher.
                  Kayode has looked awful as bis competition has gotten better. I expected a landslide for tarver. Hr didn't deliver, tarver would have no shot against a top heavyweight. Likely losebto a top cruiser.

Comment

Working...
                  X