Marvin Hagler vs. Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvin Hagler vs. Roberto Duran

Was this fight really that close?

I dunno what the judges were watching. Duran held his own but the fight wasn't really close to me.

I completely agree, the judges hate marvin hagler. Sure duran put up a great performance, but come on he wasn't winning the fight at all. Hagler was always winning it, they just wanted duran to win.

Either way duran is still better than benny leonard. He became welterweight and middleweight champ while benny leonard couldnt even win the welterweight belt off ted kid lewis.

Comment

Hagler was supposed to destroy Duran, but he seemed a little freaked out by what was really his first mega-fight. He fought more tentatively than usual....even though he was a fantastic boxer. He should have laid it on Duran more than he did, asserting his size & strength on Roberto.
      Of course, Duran had a lot to do with it being a more competitive fight than it should have been. He was so skilled, & as ring-wise as any fighter in boxing history.
      I fely Hagler clearly won the fight, & I wasn't sure of what fight the judges were watching.

I remember the fight tarnishing Hagler's rep, a little bit.....but, the fact that he had some trouble with Duran, while hearns blew Duran away, really set the stage for the two of them to get it on. We know what happened there, & that fight totally erased any doubt the Duran fight had created, about Marv.

Comment

i had hagler winning the fight 9-6 but i thought going into the 12th it was a close fight..Hagler seemed unsure of what tactics to use..he was not pressuring duran enough and even in round 6 when he had duran hurt he didnt try an go in for the finish

Comment

very close fight... Duran fought a brilliant fight really coming on strong in the mid-to-late rounds, Hagler only just nicked the decision by winning the final round.. as both fighters waited for the judges decision Hagler looked across the ring at Duran and Duran shouted to him,"You not no Marvelous".. Hagler shook his head and turned away, Marvin looked beat-up, both eyes was swollen and he knew he had been in a tough fight.

Comment

agree with threadstarter, the fight was a good one but duran just didn't do enough to win rounds the judges and commentators seem to have it close but i remeber scoring the fight by a much wider margin for the marvelous one.

Comment

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
              I completely agree, the judges hate marvin hagler. Sure duran put up a great performance, but come on he wasn't winning the fight at all. Hagler was always winning it, they just wanted duran to win.

Either way duran is still better than benny leonard. He became welterweight and middleweight champ while benny leonard couldnt even win the welterweight belt off ted kid lewis.
              You act like Lewis wasn't a great fighter. Besides, that fight could have gone either way.

Comment

Sort of close up to when Marvin pulled away in the later rounds. The first twelve were close though but Duran wasn't in front by any means. Marvin was expecting a very different fight and struggled with the crafty Duran who used his ring smarts to play Marv against himself for a lot of the fight. He was just too big, too young, too strong and in much better shape than Duran who seemed gassed by the later rounds.
                Last edited by BennyST; 11-15-2009, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I remember that the judges had Duran ahead after 12 which I couldn't see.
                  Duran fought a clever cagey fight and Hagler seemed overawed but I thought Hagler won it fairly clearly.
                  I remember thinking at the time it was a weight too far for Duran and then 6 years later.....

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                    I remember that the judges had Duran ahead after 12 which I couldn't see.
                    Duran fought a clever cagey fight and Hagler seemed overawed but I thought Hagler won it fairly clearly.
                    I remember thinking at the time it was a weight too far for Duran and then 6 years later.....
                    Yeah, I think the weight he had to carry for such a small guy after WW was too much. If he had been able to get his ass in gear and get on the bench and come in trim but more solid muscularly, then the weight might have been ok for him, but he was such a small dude anyway.

That type of weight for a guy that's naturally built as a LW just doesn't work. You could see it when he threw punches a lot each time he moved up from WW to JMW and up to MW. He threw himself off balance when he punched and couldn't get his feet under him properly. Still, pretty amazing fight for such a little guy against the prime MW king.

Comment

Working...
                    X