Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is doing shoulder exercises before sparring/boxing good?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is doing shoulder exercises before sparring/boxing good?

ive had minor injuries with my rotator cuff before, is it ok to do shoulder strengthening exercises before I box, or should that be done afterwards

Originally posted by FIGHTING_FLIP View Post
    ive had minor injuries with my rotator cuff before, is it ok to do shoulder strengthening exercises before I box, or should that be done afterwards
    I would try not to fatigue the rotator cuff to much before sparring - the muscles wont be able to do their job properly and it may jeopardize shoulder stability.

Certainly, give the the rotators a good warm prior to training / sparring.

I personally would do the shoulder strengthening exercises last thing before leaving the gym.

Comment

Actually the rotator cuff exercise are the ones you do want to do before the main training because you want to activate those...also these won't drain your shoulder muscles so go ahead and make sure you do them laying on floor!

Comment

Originally posted by Vitez View Post
        Actually the rotator cuff exercise are the ones you do want to do before the main training because you want to activate those...also these won't drain your shoulder muscles so go ahead and make sure you do them laying on floor!
        Not before sparring though mate. Fatigue could lead to decreased shoulder stability and hence increase the chance of shoulder injuries (i.e. dislocations).

You can activate these muscle during a warm up and spar safe in the knowledge that these muscles are less likely to get injured.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
          Not before sparring though mate. Fatigue could lead to decreased shoulder stability and hence increase the chance of shoulder injuries (i.e. dislocations).

You can activate these muscle during a warm up and spar safe in the knowledge that these muscles are less likely to get injured.
          100% agree sir. Warm up before sparring, do your shoulder workout at the end of the day before the cool down. Or do them on separate days. Shoulder injuries are tricky, at the Age of 32 I still occasionally battle with one I acquired during my teen years.

Comment

The shoulder muscles are overlooked, which is the major cause of shoulder injury specially rotator cuff tears. Always warm-up properly, which means your whole body. Remember that in boxing we utilize all muscles. I like doing forward and backword swim moves, arm swing to the sides and up and downwards to warm-up the shoulders befores and after training. I also like to strengthen the shoulders, arms and upper back muscles on non sparring days and split up the upper and lower body strength training according to my fighters level of fitness.

Comment

For any athlete that is going to be doing physical work, especially boxing, I would very much recommend that you do nothing to strain the muscles before sparring. However, doing some light shoulder/joint work before starting is very much beneficial.

Just a simple routine to get the joints ready and the shoulders in particular. You don't want to do any kind of heavy work that will invoke any muscular fatigue so keep it extremely light but effective.

Shoulder circles - 60 seconds
              Cuban rotations - 3 sets of 20 with VERY light weight
              Band pull aparts - 3 sets of 20 with light resistance

This will get the shoulders warm and prepared without any kind of fatigue, you're then good to spar, hit the bag or whatever else. Mind you, I also believe boxers should have a very meticulous training regime that is specific to the ultimate goal.

Comment

i always wonder how those men boxers get that body fit.. now by their posts i came to know.. how hard they work for that..!!!

Comment

Working...
                X