• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How The French Invented American Football

Thursday, September 18, 2008
    How The French Invented American Football
    http://www.thesportsacademic.com/200...-football.html
    In the late 19th century, some Ivy league schools began playing rugby, a sport practiced by the upper crust in Britain's elite schools. Practitioners, however, wanted the game to become more uniquely American, and began implementing a series of rule changes (more on this in an upcoming post). However, the most significant strategy change may have made this quintessentially American game more French than American.

When Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympics, visited America in the 1890s he met Lorin Deland, a fan of Harvard's team. Deland had read Adolphe Thiers' book on the history of France's Revolution (Histoire du Consulat et de l'Empire) and was struck by the way Napoleon attacked the enemy at their weakest point with a large number of men at just the right time thereby stunning the opposing army and throwing them into a state of chaos. With Coubertin looking on, Deland convinced Harvard's team to adopt Napoleon's tactic of focusing offensive forces on one weak point in the enemy's defense. And with that, the wedge, blocking and brutality came to replace Rugby's spread out game built around passes and kicking.

In 1894 (two years before the first modern Olympiad), Coubertin wrote of one Thanksgiving Day football game he attended, "It was modern Olympism, and rather emotional, I assure you." He continued, "Napoleon looked down on this event from heaven where he has been for only a short while, amnestied by the Lord. It warmed his warrior spirit and he prayed that Saint Peter would, when the day came, allow Mr. Deland, his prophet, to enter heaven straight away" (1).

Vive le NFL!

(1) Pierre de Coubertin. “Napoléon et le football.” Les Sports athlétiques. 5th year, number 198, 13 Jan. 1894, pp. 24-26.

Yeah but the schemes and the overall substance of the game has evolved so far that it's really not even worth mentioning the roots.

It's a different game now.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

If a French player ever goes pro it's pretty much guranteed he is gonna be "The Tight End"

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
        If a French player ever goes pro it's pretty much guranteed he is gonna be "The Tight End"
        nobody plays Gridiron in france or outside the ladn of San Francisco because them shiny tights you wear are too gay even for Jean Paul Gaultier.
        Originally posted by RunW/Knives View Post
        Yeah but the schemes and the overall substance of the game has evolved so far that it's really not even worth mentioning the roots.

It's a different game now.
        I know they made it easier. but read the guys follow up post, the first rule changes were based on the French schoolboys version of Rugby Union. At that time Gridiron was still respectable and very much like Rugby in the 'leatherheads' period.

I laugh my balls of at the Anglais Chiens when we kick their fat arses in teh Six Nations Rugby Championships!!!!!

Comment

Rugby ftw!

LOL, didn't we beat you at the World Cup?

Comment

yes you did fluke it, but I think you fail to understand that nobody gives a **** about that sport in France and it isn't even professional! yes we have some amateur players and we have defeated you many times at the Six Nations. We've won it plenty of times too!!

Comment

When Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympics, visited America in the 1890s he met Lorin Deland, a fan of Harvard's team. Deland had read Adolphe Thiers' book on the history of France's Revolution (Histoire du Consulat et de l'Empire) and was struck by the way Napoleon attacked the enemy at their weakest point with a large number of men at just the right time thereby stunning the opposing army and throwing them into a state of chaos. With Coubertin looking on, Deland convinced Harvard's team to adopt Napoleon's tactic of focusing offensive forces on one weak point in the enemy's defense. And with that, the wedge, blocking and brutality came to replace Rugby's spread out game built around passes and kicking.
              You have to be ****ing kidding me. Now you're claiming that Napoleon (the Italian) invented the concept of overwhelming the enemy with superior numbers at their weakest point? Ever heard of Sun Tszu? ****, you're probably going to claim that he was French too...

Aside from that there are lots of team sports in which a sound tactic is to overwhelm with numbers including (proper) football.

Comment

who gives a ****................................

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                  You have to be ****ing kidding me. Now you're claiming that Napoleon (the Italian) invented the concept of overwhelming the enemy with superior numbers at their weakest point? Ever heard of Sun Tszu? ****, you're probably going to claim that he was French too...

Aside from that there are lots of team sports in which a sound tactic is to overwhelm with numbers including (proper) football.
                  Sun Tzu is what we would call.... ambiguous! i've read the art of war and can see why it is used by businessmen! In proper football you do not get seven or 8 players in one spot because it is based on SKILL, someone will weave the ball out with a skillful Mascherano style pass and attack from another angle like Torres(below).

I can tell from your bull**** you didn't read the guys other blog entries.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis Vastine View Post
                    yes you did fluke it, but I think you fail to understand that nobody gives a **** about that sport in France and it isn't even professional! yes we have some amateur players and we have defeated you many times at the Six Nations. We've won it plenty of times too!!
                    Brilliant, France don't have professional Rugby Union league do they not? Your 80'000 seater national stadium isn't sold out for every France game is it not? Chabal isn't one of your biggest sports stars? You're clueless, it seems i know more about Rugby in France than you. It's the 2nd sport behind football ffs.

Comment

Working...
                    X