No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Random Acts of Ring Rambling P2: Mosley, Tyson, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Random Acts of Ring Rambling P2: Mosley, Tyson, More

By Thomas Gerbasi - If you were sent to a desert island but given the choice of taking career DVD sets of just 12 fighters, which dozen would you choose? In Part One of this little trip down memory lane , my first six were Alexis Arguello, Tony Ayala Jr., Diego Corrales, Frank “The Animal” Fletcher, Arturo Gatti, and Larry Holmes. Here’s the rest… - Sugar Ray Leonard - I don’t have any proof of this, and I may just be making assumptions, but I’m guessing that I was the only white kid in my Irish-Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn who had a Sugar Ray Leonard scrapbook. And I didn’t care. Sugar Ray Leonard was Muhammad Ali to those of us pre-teens just getting into the sport, and even though the mainstream media gravitated to him because of his style and charisma, as I got older, it was clear that for all the TV commercials and the squeaky clean image, at heart he was always a fighter, and his resume proved it. Of course, having a diehard Roberto Duran fan as a father made things a little tense around the house back around the first Duran-Leonard bout in Montreal, but a few months later, New Orleans and “No Mas” gave me bragging rights once again.

Years later, thanks to my buddy Brian Adams, I finally got to interview Ray briefly when he was promoting the first season of ‘The Contender,’ and while he got a funny look on his face and took a step back when I told him about the scrapbook (yeah, I had to), he couldn’t have been more gracious. They say to never meet your heroes because you’ll get disappointed, but that certainly wasn’t the case here. [Click Here To Read More]

Great writing. I enjoyed the article.

Comment

I also enjoyed reading that.

Comment

I would take DVD packed with DLH fights.

Comment

great stuff from mr. gerbasi...

if i would be in the same hypothetical situation, i will take the career sets of arturo gatti (for action and drama), roy jones (for the highlight reels) and roberto duran (because he is roberto duran damn it!)

Comment

nice article & next time take some lesser named boxers, fringe contenders, that's where the real stories are...

Comment

Nice article

If I was to list my twelve though they would be David Tua, Evander Holyfield,Gatti,Corrales,Ray Robinson,Mosley,Hopkins,Pacquieo,Tito,sweet pea, and Willie Pepp.

Comment

In no particular order of the top:

Roy Jones Jr, Mike Tyson, Naseem Hamed, Jack Johnson, ALI, Zab Judah (I know, I know but check his underrated highlight reel), SRL, SRR, Riddick Bowe, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, George Foreman.

Comment

Working...
                X