No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Grooming of David Price

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: The Grooming of David Price

By Thomas Gerbasi - Pop quiz. What’s the one thing you thought you would never hear out of the mouth of an unbeaten and highly touted heavyweight prospect with less than 20 fights?

How about this, from the mouth of Liverpool’s David Price on a media teleconference earlier this week?

“I’m not fighting someone who’s guaranteed to make me look brilliant,” said the Brit, referring to the man he meets at Echo Arena in his hometown on February 23, two-time world title challenger Tony Thompson.

He’s right. Thompson, despite being 41 and coming off a sixth round TKO loss to Wladimir Klitschko (his second defeat to the current heavyweight champ), is the type of fighter that has the style that can spoil a perfect record or at least end a streak of knockout wins by delivering a defensive-minded performance that will garner more boos than cheers. Price knows this, but he took the fight anyway. In fact, it’s the kind of fight he demanded from promoter Frank Maloney.

“This is a fight that maybe I would have looked at three fights down the road, but after his last fight David sat down with me and said ‘Frank, I really want a test; I want to be put in with someone.’ And I admire that,” said Maloney, who once guided Lennox Lewis to the heavyweight crown. “We looked at a few opponents, we sat with his trainer, and eventually we came up with Tony.” [Click Here To Read More]

If Thompson - somehow - beats Price, there's no way back.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
      If Thompson - somehow - beats Price, there's no way back.
      Wlad's current dominance is a testament to that not being true.

Comment

If (when) Price gets past another old man in Thompson, it's really time for him to step up to the plate. He's not really proven anything yet in terms of being a serious contender.

Comment

i would like to see price arrola

Comment

Originally posted by ukalltheway View Post
            This would be good, it's basically a litmus test to see what Price has, if he can't get past Arreola, he's hype, if he can, he's the real deal.

Comment

Prices chin

I like price but I've got a bad feeling about his chin, I know he's just a prospect but most guys at 29 would be jumping at a chance to fight a champion but hes talking about fighting them a year or 2 down the road, he's got all the tools but I don't think he has the confidence in his chin and it will show against the big boys, watch him against cammarelle in the amature.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenboxer View Post
                I like price but I've got a bad feeling about his chin, I know he's just a prospect but most guys at 29 would be jumping at a chance to fight a champion but hes talking about fighting them a year or 2 down the road, he's got all the tools but I don't think he has the confidence in his chin and it will show against the big boys, watch him against cammarelle in the amature.
                His chin is glass, i'm telling you now it's 100% glass.

the question is, can he avoid getting hit in it the way Wlad has managed.

Comment

I think Arreola would maul Price. Vitali had his hands full keeping Arreola at bay
                  Last edited by Weltschmerz; 01-25-2013, 06:06 AM. Reason: wrong idiom

Comment

Originally posted by WladimirK View Post
                    I think Arreola would maul Price. Vitali had his hands full keeping Arreola at bay
                    meh, Vitali schooled him.

Adamek outboxed him too, I think a 6'9" 250lb one punch ko artist would handle Arreola, as I say, if Price couldn't do him fairly easy he may as well pack it in.

Comment

Working...
                    X