Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cotto-Margarito: No, Bob… Saturday Night’s Not All Right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Cotto-Margarito: No, Bob… Saturday Night’s Not All Right

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Quick… someone get Luis Resto on the phone.

And ask the once-wily Puerto Rican, now 56 years old, what he’ll be doing on Saturday night.

If I were him, it would have zero to do with Madison Square Garden.

You know the place. Big building. Midtown Manhattan.

Bills itself as the “World’s Most Famous Arena.”

But for Resto, a fringe contender in the 147-154 corridor three decades ago, it’s something else.

The place his career ended.

Make that the place where his career rightfully ended.

Because before we get too far afield, make no mistake.

This is in no way an apologist moan for Resto, who was complicit in the biggest in-ring crime of my generation. A crime that many claim started a downturn that ultimately cost another man – a once-unbeaten kid named Billy Collins – his life.

Anyone who’s paid attention since 1983 knows the story. [Click Here To Read More]

Terrible article.

Resto litterly dipped his hands in plaster. Margarito? It's actually quite questionable if he really did or not "cheat"

It's like giving the same punishment to a "suspected" shoplifter as oppose to a straight up cold blooded murderer where all the evidence is in your face.

Big difference between Resto and Margarito.

The writer in this case seems quite biased and have a thing against Margarito.

Comment

Agreed. Karma is a ***** come Saturday night.
      Last edited by Motofan; 11-29-2011, 01:16 AM.

Comment

I hate saying this because Lyle Fitszimmons is a boring/idiot writer but I agree with his point on this fight.

I hate the fact that Margartio is making career high paydays AFTER he get's caught trying to cheat but I'm still going to watch the fight.

I"m not paying for it anyways, I'm catching a stream of this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by dj emzz View Post
          Terrible article.

Resto litterly dipped his hands in plaster. Margarito? It's actually quite questionable if he really did or not "cheat"

It's like giving the same punishment to a "suspected" shoplifter as oppose to a straight up cold blooded murderer where all the evidence is in your face.

Lol Emz that is a horrible analogy.

Its like a person who is arrested for attempted murder (Marg) and one for murder (resto)

One went thru with his plan and one got caught trying to execute his plan

Either way what both did was horrible.

Comment

( Will post this every day till fight night )

I just want to say congratulations to all Margarito fans, you are now officially the second most ******ed fans after *******s, clap clap clap for the handicap, that is a serious achievement cause as you know its hard to out-****** a ******* so in a way you're also the best ******s, once again i just want to say congratulations

Comment

Great Article! I too think Margarito should be banned for life.

I watched that Resto-Collins fight live, and I can still hear Collins Sr. saying, in that southern drawl, "Commissioner, ain't not padding in these gloves, ain't no padding."

See, the problem was stupid-ass Resto shook hands with Collins Sr. before taking off his gloves right after the fight was over. Resto knew Panama Lewis had taken the padding out of the gloves because he tried to pretend his hand was hurt when Collins Sr. grabbed one of his gloves.

Collins Jr. had two detached retina. Cotto got beaten to a pulp. Anyway you spin it, when you tamper with gloves you turn the gloves into deadly weapons.

Margarito should have received a life time ban. Putting plaster in the gloves goes back to the 40's. It effectively turned Margarito's gloves into brass knuckles. His excuse is pathetic. Obviously, he had to see his trainer shaking in the plaster between wraps.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Quick… someone get Luis Resto on the phone.

And ask the once-wily Puerto Rican, now 56 years old, what he’ll be doing on Saturday night.

If I were him, it would have zero to do with Madison Square Garden.

You know the place. Big building. Midtown Manhattan.

Bills itself as the “World’s Most Famous Arena.”

But for Resto, a fringe contender in the 147-154 corridor three decades ago, it’s something else.

The place his career ended.

Make that the place where his career rightfully ended.

Because before we get too far afield, make no mistake.

This is in no way an apologist moan for Resto, who was complicit in the biggest in-ring crime of my generation. A crime that many claim started a downturn that ultimately cost another man – a once-unbeaten kid named Billy Collins – his life.

Anyone who’s paid attention since 1983 knows the story. [Click Here To Read More]
                ok I get it that people dont or never liked margs I remember the hate he recieved on here PRIOR to the cotto fight, but cmon this guy comin off a ko loss left Manny in serious pain for 2 months after they fought despite losing handily and didnt come close to getting ko'd and we can all agree manny is a deadly puncher.landed 230 punches on manny and not even manny has looked the same since. Gimme a break no plaster! margs was simply good enuff 2 beat cotto and not quite good enough to beat pac barley.enough with the conspiracy theories cotto has shown by now that the loss to margs was no conspiracy or fluke!

Comment

Originally posted by dj emzz View Post
                  Terrible article.

agreed. . . what margarito did is no excuse, and he deserved to be suspended for probably a little more than a year, and maybe a bigger fine. . . but it wasn't NEAR what resto did. . . rest dipped his hands in plaster, REMOVED 1/3 padding, AND was on a liquid form of speed. . . margarito's plaster was about as thick as a credit card. .

but resto came clean, and for one, i forgive him completely. . . it took some guts to do that. . . and no, he should not be held responsible for the death of billy. . he is responsible for ending his career, NOT his life. .

this ball headed old fart is a HORRIBLE writer. . . i don't know why boxingscene publishes his garbage. . . the guy knows NOTHING about boxing. . . saying frazier doesn't belong in the hall of fame?! SMH x 1000. . .

Comment

people should watch the documentary HBO did on rest if you haven't. . . you will see he did A LOT more than use plaster. . . he removed 33% of the padding, AND was on speed. . .

from what i saw of the plaster htey recovered from the mosley fight - it didn't look that bad. . . obviously still a big difference, but not nearly as bad as resto. . .

either way, they are only human, and should be forgiven. . . MOVE ON. . . I have forgave both margarito and resto. . . let them get on with their lives. . .

Comment

Working...
                    X