No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer: Golden Boy Will Not Get Hurt By HBO's Move

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Schaefer: Golden Boy Will Not Get Hurt By HBO's Move

HBO on Monday morning made a rather startling announcement. For now it is no longer going to buy fights from, or do business with, Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions.

An HBO official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, expounded.

"We just felt it was best to align ourselves with people who share the same common goals as us," the official said. "We want to take young fighters and put them on the biggest boxing television platform and hopefully launch them into stardom. Fighters like Gennady Golovkin, Andre Ward, Brandon Rios, Tim Bradley (none of whom are promoted by Golden Boy). We are just not on the same page right now (with Golden Boy). But this is boxing, so you never say never."
    [Click Here To Read More]

We'll have to see about the fallout but this could be pretty bad for Golden Boy. They have a lot of fighters they developed and they're going to have to find a way to split Showtime's budget between all of those guys.

The way I read this it sounds like Golden Boy wanted to offload some low quality fights to HBO while moving their developed fighters over to a network their guy Espinoza currently runs, and HBO wasn't having it.

Remains to be seen how this affects fight quality but Golden Boy has a lot of hungry mouths to feed off of Showtime's budget.

Comment

I think GBP was being run like a Mapia. DLH was a good kid! I don't know What Mayweather SR gave him, He turned to become alcoholic, drug addict, become a cross dresser, now become a vicious businessman. Both Him & Floyd got no Gratitude to HBO! Both bolted out of TR!

They act llke a con-man stealing talents from Toprank, Pac & Donaire were tricked and almost got sued because of them. They advice Vic Ortiz to file for bankruptcy, so they can steal him away from TR. Schaefer is a vicious businessman.

I think it's Karma time! This is a bad Press for them! A lot of their talents will bolt out when they cant be satisfied with the money! Floyd got most of the Money from SHO! He's not even signed with GBP. What Oscar left as a Superstar was Canelo. One lost against trout, money down the drain! Who else he can sell?

Comment

I'm shocked this bulldht has gotten this far

Comment

I think it will. Show time have a yearly budget for boxing do they not?

If gbp main stars fight 3 times a year, then I would think that people are taking part cuts. The fighters get an estimate of 10 Mill if all fight once an estimate . Sometimes the gate etc does not make the purse let alone venue, staff etc fees.

Show tone have other promotional companies to pay too.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Remember how they all kissed hbo ass before? Even broner and floyd. Trust me hbo is still boxing in the mean time. Show time may even subsidise enough money, but to say it isn't hurting them is a joke. They will be forced to pay opponents as well, so either cheap opponents or go over budget.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
              We'll have to see about the fallout but this could be pretty bad for Golden Boy. They have a lot of fighters they developed and they're going to have to find a way to split Showtime's budget between all of those guys.

The way I read this it sounds like Golden Boy wanted to offload some low quality fights to HBO while moving their developed fighters over to a network their guy Espinoza currently runs, and HBO wasn't having it.

Remains to be seen how this affects fight quality but Golden Boy has a lot of hungry mouths to feed off of Showtime's budget.

GBP really has no superstars left, after DLH was retired, their Money making venture were mostly out of Floyd fights against their fighters! Now that Floyd find away leave HBO, GBP has no other alternative but to follow Floyd!

But HBO's not stupid! They make you big, then you left! Then they try to make HBO as a farm league, starting with Broner! Floyd's cherry picking in HBO was over! Now it's time to make a new stars!

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post

Well put. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacdbest View Post
                  GBP really has no superstars left, after DLH was retired, their Money making venture were mostly out of Floyd fights against their fighters! Now that Floyd find away leave HBO, GBP has no other alternative but to follow Floyd!

But HBO's not stupid! They make you big, then you left! Then they try to make HBO as a farm league, starting with Broner! Floyd's cherry picking in HBO was over! Now it's time to make a new stars!
                  Lmao, the hate for Floyd is strong in this one. Golden Boy should be fine, but like stated earlier they have a stable of mouths to feed.

Comment

I have a bridge to sell you if you really believe GBP won't be hurt by HBO's move.

Comment

Working...
                    X