No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Miguel Cotto-Ricardo Mayorga Mega Gallery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Photos: Miguel Cotto-Ricardo Mayorga Mega Gallery

WBA super welterweight champion Miguel Cotto (36-2, 29 KOs) won a hard fought twelfth round KO over former champion Ricardo Mayorga (29-8-2, 23 KOs) on Saturday night before a crowd of 7,247 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Photos by Chris Cozzone.

[Click Here To Read More]

Cotto boxing skills looked great he could have finished mayorga alot sooner but chose to get rounds in and used those jabs and wicked body shots

Comment

Heart of a lion. Mayorga was fkin nuts man, props to him.. dude just has raw intestinal fortitude. Margarito! If you face miguel cotto in a rematch you will lose ur eyesight. Be warned!! Those jabs will punch holes in you.

Then Martinez deserves his shot. Or berto.

Somehow revisiting a Pacquiao fight seems more realistic now, Cotto seems better prepared, no?

Comment

Originally posted by War Aficionado View Post
        Heart of a lion. Mayorga was fkin nuts man, props to him.. dude just has raw intestinal fortitude. Margarito! If you face miguel cotto in a rematch you will lose ur eyesight. Be warned!! Those jabs will punch holes in you.

Then Martinez deserves his shot. Or berto.

Somehow revisiting a Pacquiao fight seems more realistic now, Cotto seems better prepared, no?
        i sound like a hater, but beating mayorga dont mean sit.......

Comment

Mayorga face was looking like a sweet potato after the fight.

Comment

A Ricardo Mayorga who came in the best shape of quite possibly his entire life lol, who was willing to put it all on the line against Cotto and go out in a blaze of glory??? S'pose you have a point. I mean this guy mayorga went toe to toe with Shane Mosley for 12 rounds and a near SD not too long ago.. yea, more likely this was an outlet for Miguel whose abilities needed testing versus a no-nonsense, heavy handed slugger like el matador. Throwing him in with the likes of Serg, Pac, Mayweather would be foolish right now. Baby steps. Phase one of his "rebuilding phase" is effectively over, now it's time to kick it up a notch and confront his adversary Margarito. The next psychological test in determining how far along Cotto's progressed as a boxer under Stewards tutelage. If he can win this next one decisively then there's no questioning his position as one of the greatest fighters of our era. Of course to seal the deal he'll need to leave his mark among one of the top three p4p. If a rematch with Pac can't be made than it would be a disservice to the fans if a match-up with Sergio were also bypassed for another meaningless fight with say Chavez or Wolak. The ppv last night(if you saw it) was all just a means to an end for enhancing his elaborate career. Cotto performed adequately given his time off & surgery, and rewarded his fans with their money's worth. I say re-watch the fight and take notes, the miguel cotto of old was almost non-existent, save for some minor defensive flaws- this man brought the fire. It was damn impressive. Not Maravilla type impressive...but still.

Comment

What's that silver belt Cotto has on his right shoulder in the pics? I know the other one is the WBA super belt (pointless) but haven't seen the other one before :S

Comment

Shot!

It took a shot ODLH 6 rounds to beat Mayorga by KO and Cotto 12 Cotto looked very slow I hope he stays away from the Margarito rematch because he is going to get rapped!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
                  Cotto boxing skills looked great he could have finished mayorga alot sooner but chose to get rounds in and used those jabs and wicked body shots
                  cotto is a warrior but what are you talking about he could have finished him sooner he was hesitant to go at mayorga cuz he knew mayorga had power and could end up hurting him and i dont know what made you think that, you need to think before you post, props to mayorga he gave cotto a war and went longer than expected

Comment

I don't think beating Mayorga was the main issue with this fight, as it what was known that it was a win. Risky but a win. I think this was more of a test for Cotto, a measuring stick.

I think Cotto past the test. His jab has become a stronger weapon. Apparantely his surgery has done some good as he's using his right hand more. Aside of coasting in one of the rounds (think it was 9) his stamina is much better and I would defintely say he was able to take some good shots (Mayorga could be 100 years old and still hurt you with his wild shots).

I believe that Mayorga's unconventional/unpredictable style is more of a danger to any fighter, than Margarito's basic walk you down style. Not taking anything away from Margarito as he has accomplished plenty with that style (maybe a lil help), but when you go twelve rounds with Mayorga your skill set/reflexes have to be on point, damm near perfect. So when you go back to a basic style like Margarito's you should be able to deal with it much better.

Yes, I know that Margarito's career has been about pressure. With the right conditioning and right game plan I STRONGLY believe Cotto will stop Margarito in a rematch. Lets not forget Margarito himself has been thru some wars lately. Keep in mind that knowbody knows how his eye has healed, which I believe is going to be like a magnet to Cotto's jab.

Cotto stops Maragito in the rematch. Thank you Maryorga for some preperation.

Comment

Working...
                    X