Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has pulled the greatest pych job in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has pulled the greatest pych job in boxing?

examples
    duran leonard 1
    duran insulted ray and his wife, getting the montreal fans on his side.

duran leonard 2
    ray leonard learning from his mistakes and tauting and embarassing him and forceing him to quit.

ali listion 1
    ali acting crazy during the prefight and having the invincible listion confusded

any others?

For my money it's Ali over Liston hands down.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather by faking his retirement!

Comment

Ali Liston was a great psych job. It was the first that I thought of.

One that bears mention is Hopkins on Trinidad. In his previous fight against K. Holmes, Hopkins brawled and slugged his way to victory. Then in the days previous to the Trinidad fight he did everything he could to make Trinidad mad. I truly believe Trinidad was suprised when Hopkins moved and boxed his way to victory when Trinidad was expecting a war.
        Last edited by TBear; 12-03-2012, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          Ali Liston was a great psych job. It was the first that I though of.

One that bares mention is Hopkins on Trinidad. In his previous fight against K. Holmes, Hopkins brawled and slugged his way to victory. Then in the days previous to the Trinidad fight he did everything he could to make Trinidad mad. I truly believe Trinidad was suprised when Hopkins moved and boxed his way to victory when Trinidad was expecting a war.
          Excellent call!

Comment

I'm going to go in the opposite direction a bit.

I think the hate that Ali instilled in Frazier intensified him and sealed his fate in the FOTC.

Frazier would've walked into machine guns that night if he could just get back at him physically like he couldn't do verbally.

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
            Floyd Mayweather by faking his retirement!

Your NSB **** is out of place, unoriginal and boring

Comment

Barrera vs Naz: Barrera came forward all night vs Moralles, but completely changed his tactics masterfully for their fight.

Ali vs Foreman: Covered so often, rope-a-dope.

Tyson vs Spinks: Tyson smashes up his dressing room infront of Spink's trainer Butch Lewis and completely annihilates a terrified Spinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                Barrera vs Naz: Barrera came forward all night vs Moralles, but completely changed his tactics masterfully for their fight.

Ali vs Foreman: Covered so often, rope-a-dope.

Tyson vs Spinks: Tyson smashes up his dressing room infront of Spink's trainer Butch Lewis and completely annihilates a terrified Spinks.
                great stuff sugar

How about sugar ray robinson drinking blood infront of jake lamotta before the st valintine days massacre.
                Going back farther Kid Mcoy becoming tommy ryan sparring partner and learning his style then begging for a title shot because of supposed poverty and then beating ryan in the title fight because tommy underestimated him.

Comment

I think Larry Holmes got to Gerry Cooney when he slapped him after his fight with Leon Spinks. Howard Cosell was interviewing Larry and said he was going to bring Gerry over. Holmes warned Howard that he'd slap Cooney if he came over.....and he did.

Though they didn't fight for another year I think Holmes got into Cooney's head a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                    great stuff sugar

How about sugar ray robinson drinking blood infront of jake lamotta before the st valintine days massacre.
                    Going back farther Kid Mcoy becoming tommy ryan sparring partner and learning his style then begging for a title shot because of supposed poverty and then beating ryan in the title fight because tommy underestimated him.

Good work on the St Valentines day massacre! I'd totally forgot about that. To be honest I could imagine Jake La Motta doing something equally vile, but I suppose he simply psyched folks with that terrific punch resistance......

Comment

Working...
                    X