Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Thomas Hearns' chin get under-rated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Thomas Hearns' chin get under-rated?

He only got stopped 4 times.
    Sugar Ray Leonard - Mainly stamina issues here.
    Marvin Hagler - Another fast paced war taking loads of hits
    Uriah Grant - He pulled out with an injury
    Iran Barkey - Above his natural weight limit and was 30 years old.

Do you believe Hearns' chin to be as fragile as made out to be?

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    He only got stopped 4 times.
    Sugar Ray Leonard - Mainly stamina issues here.
    Marvin Hagler - Another fast paced war taking loads of hits
    Uriah Grant - He pulled out with an injury
    Iran Barkey - Above his natural weight limit and was 30 years old.

Do you believe Hearns' chin to be as fragile as made out to be?
    Big time. It wasn't great, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some would like to think.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Big time. It wasn't great, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some would like to think.
      i think that if hearns had a chin like lamotta he might be one of the GOAT

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
        Possibly but, the stamina would still be a problem, so he would still have lost the Leonard fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Possibly but, the stamina would still be a problem, so he would still have lost the Leonard fight.
          i think leonard being the media darling also would have caused issues for hearns if he did last the distance.

I had Hearns winning until the stoppage by a little and scored the second fight for hearns

Comment

i think leonard being the media darling also would have caused issues for hearns if he did last the distance.

I had Hearns winning until the stoppage by a little and scored the second fight for hearns
            Yeah the second fight was a blatant judge failuire. Not quite JCC - PW but, up there.

Comment

No lie. His chin was average, but if he's even got Marquez toughness - get up after a KD and go hunting - we're talking about a possible GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                No lie. His chin was average, but if he's even got Marquez toughness - get up after a KD and go hunting - we're talking about a possible GOAT.
                There's no questioning Hearns' heart that was about as big as him.

Comment

I have being saying this for a while. Alot of people seem to have the idea Hearns' chin was glass. But as you said, the only time he really got stopped badly was Hagler, having moved up from his previous set of fights which were at 154, and it wasn't like that was the first clean shot Hagler landed either! And this is a beast like Hagler were talking about. The other stoppages had surrounding issues or were due to more lack of stamina than his chin.

So yeah i agree, his chin is very underrated and is by no means weak, not great but most definitely not weak.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's being underrated. Most agree that he was not exactly a "glass jaw", he could take some punishment, but his chin and stamina let him down in his big fights, and they are his most notable weaknesses.

Comment

Working...
                    X