Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vitali Klitschko Halts Training Camp To Return To Ukraine Because of Political Crisis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitali Klitschko Halts Training Camp To Return To Ukraine Because of Political Crisis

Vitali Klitschko Halts Training Camp To Return To Ukraine Because of Political Crisis

WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko has cut short his training camp for a September 10 heavyweight championship bout in Poland with Tomasz Adamek to return to his homeland of Ukraine.

Klitschko returned from his camp in Austria to Ukraine because of concerns over the fate of former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, head of the Orange Revolution, a pro-democracy movement in the Ukrainian parliament that has clashed with the pro-Russia, pro-Putin forces.

Tymoshenko has been accused of “exceeding the authority of a Prime Minister,” a charge that her supporters contend is politically motivated. She has also been charged with contempt of court.

"When I learned what had happened in Ukraine, I stopped training for the fight and returned to Kiev as far as I understand that the real battle for democratic values is unfolding here - in Ukraine - and I cannot be an observer in this situation," Vitali wrote on his blog in Ukrainska Pravda.

“Tymoshenko ended up behind bars on the eve of Ukraine's independence,” Vitali writes.

“This shows that democracy in our country has not lasted twenty years, and it is destroyed. If this will continue - we will forever live in a dictatorship and total corruption, and the development of civil society will be forgotten.

“These events could well lead to Ukraine’s international isolation, which would absolutely dash Ukraine’s desire to live in a free, democratic country where European values are professed,” Vitali contends.

While the New York Times reports that Vitali will “delay a title fight planned for September” with Tomasz Adamek, it is unclear at the moment if that is indeed the case or whether it is just the training camp that has been interrupted.

Vitali is so much more likable than his brother.

Really hard to hate the guy.

Comment

i respect vitali.

but let's be honest: 99.99999999% of planet earth don't know who the F vitali klitchko is and could give 2 ****s about the HW division.

Comment

Vitali could run for president. Hes a smart and likeable dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
          Vitali is so much more likable than his brother.

Really hard to hate the guy.
          Why would you want to hate him in the first place?

Comment

don't worry yulia, the knight in a shining armor vitali is coming to the rescueeeeee. jiiiihhhhhaaaaa....

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
              i respect vitali.

but let's be honest: 99.99999999% of planet earth don't know who the F vitali klitchko is and could give 2 ****s about the HW division.
              Ridiculous statement. The Klitschkos are very well known in Europe. In Russia they are very well known, and Russia is a pretty big place, you know. In Germany they are household names. World-wide, they are doing very well.

Most Americans don't know who they are, because Americans as a group are very ignorant and also xenophobic. Most Americans don't know Roger Federer from Rafael Nadal, either, but both are famous world-wide.

Then again, more people would rather read comic books than Shakespeare, but that doesn't mean comic books are a superior literary form.

Comment

Obviousky he wasnt that focused for the fight to call it off to go handle politics..are you a politician or a boxer hmm?

Sounds like Vitali may not really care bout fighting Adamek.

Comment

Goddamn. Despite being convinced of an inevitable Vitali win by KO, I was looking forward to this one a lot. If Wlad is written into a hypothetical revenge clause, does this mean he can step in and start training to fight Adamek now? I'll gladly take that fight as a substitute.

Comment

I love Vitali, this guy does all the right things in and out of the ring!!

Comment

Working...
                    X