No announcement yet.

Nikolai Valuev - The Sad Clown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikolai Valuev - The Sad Clown

Nikolai Valuev, WBA Heavyweight Champion of the world, had just knocked out Monte Barrett in the eleventh round and everybody around him was in a celebratory and jovial mood. Don King was cackling like only Don King does, “Hah-hah-hah! My Russian Giant! The Eighth Wonder of the World! Hah-hah-hah!”

The scene wouldn’t have been noteworthy except for the fact that Nikolai Valuev is a towering, hulk of humanity that stands over 7’0” tall and weighs nearly 330 pounds. His match against Barrett was unremarkable and it was designed merely to showcase Valuev on an American stage. But because Valuev is the largest human being to ever hold a portion of the heavyweight championship he is a rubbernecker’s fantasy who is gawked at with a peculiar mix of curiosity and awe.

Unbeaten in 45 straight fights and currently boxing’s longest reigning heavyweight titlist he has conquered Europe and now his ringmasters want him to conquer America. Nikolai Valuev, it would seem, should have had a lot to smile about, but on Saturday night in Rosemont, Illinois he appeared to be the saddest person in the room.

There have been other giants that have held the heavyweight championship. Jess Willard held the title from 1915 to 1919. “The Pottawatomie Giant” named after his hometown in Kansas, was 6’6 ¼” and in his prime he tipped the scales at 230 pounds. In 1933, Italy’s Primo Carnera, “The Ambling Alp” held the title for just under a year. At 6’5 ¾” tall, Carnera, at his best, scaled in the neighborhood of 260 pounds . By comparison, Valuev dwarfs both of those monsters and in his enormity he would have outweighed Willard by 100 pounds. [details]

he's a giant with a heart. boxing fans should consider him more, anyway he didn't win any fight by cheating right?

Comment

"On Saturday night, when those around him were laughing on the outside - Nikolai Valuev, the sad, Russian clown of a heavyweight champion, was crying."

Wow...imagine if he lost

Comment

I feel bad for the dude man, honestly...to be that big and to look like that, he must of had a depressing childhood and probably still deals with insecurity issues every day.

Comment

I don't like Valuev at all because of this whole gentle giant bull****. This is boxing. If you don't want to be feared, what the hell are you doing in the sport. Any fighter would love to have his size and be able to dominate opponents with very little skill required, but all he does is cry about how he wants to be seen as normal. He's a big softy and will be beaten by Wlad.

Comment

http://milhouseplayswithhimself.ytmnd.com/

Comment

I believe he should live up to his manufactured monster image. With millions of $$ at stake, there's a price for puglistic crossover appeal, which equals money & big fights. That's the limelight for ya; 90% of it is utter bull****, and sadly, it's necessary bull****. Anybody who has truly succeeded in the spotlight can understand this.
              True, he may be a gentle giant, a thoughtful person, a poetry buff and loyal husband and father, but that is best saved for his family and those closest around him. It has no place in the mainstream, no place for the paying audience. At least hardcore boxingfans with an IQ higher than a cement block can understand the man behind the fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
                I don't like Valuev at all because of this whole gentle giant bull****. This is boxing. If you don't want to be feared, what the hell are you doing in the sport. Any fighter would love to have his size and be able to dominate opponents with very little skill required, but all he does is cry about how he wants to be seen as normal. He's a big softy and will be beaten by Wlad.
                I can't believe I agree with DiegoFuego.

If Valuev feels so bad about his size, I suggest he forward his future earnings to yours truly. It's the least I can do to alleviate some of his stress.

Comment

I don't think Valuev is interested in making millions, if he has to change his behavior and public image to do it. He strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't care about wealth, other than having enough to provide for his family and live comfortably.

Comment

im getting a little tired of hearing about jess the bum willard..with his primitive boxing skills..stop comparing him to klitcko and valuev

Comment

Working...
                    X