Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Santa Cruz's Father Wants Interim-Bout Before Mares Rematch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Santa Cruz's Father Wants Interim-Bout Before Mares Rematch

In theory, everything was ready to go for the fall rematch between Leo Santa Cruz and Abner Mares. The fight was being lined up for September 9 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, and both sides were just waiting for promoter Richard Schaefer to give the go-ahead and make the announcement official. However, plans could change. Leo's father and head trainer, Jose Santa Cruz, has indicated that he will ask manager Al Haymon for interim-fight for his son, before the rematch with Mares takes place.
    [Click Here To Read More]

So your asking for a tune up fight before scheduling a rematch against a highly inactive Abner Mares?? Do us all a favor with this hell of a year of mega fights in 2017, we don't need to waste time. Just make the rematch this isn't 2014 papa Santa Cruz.

This by all means is not a super fight that anybody cares about. I bet my life this fight happens in May 2018
    Last edited by PRchamp; 06-24-2017, 10:30 PM.

Comment

The second fight was not close at all it was a clear victory for Santa Cruz.

Comment

Worst thing Frampton did was give santa cruz that rematch. If he's expecting Santa cruz to return the favor anytime soon, he's sadly mistaken. Santa Cruz will fight some tune up, rematch mares, fight another tune up before he even thinks of Frampton. Never mind rigo.

Comment

Hopefully the WBA doesn't allow this fight to be delayed! Abner Mares hasn't fought since December! I don't see him asking for a tune-up! Let's go!

Comment

I'd rather see Cruz try his luck at 130 than a Mares rematch.

Comment

I guess they could have both guys make separate defense on the same card?

Comment

These fights are all boring and meaningless until these guys mix with Russell, Valdez, JoJo Diaz, etc to actually establish the level they are at in the division. If they can prove they are on that level, then their fights are very interesting, but right now they just feel like the minor leagues because they've stayed within their own little slower, banger Frampton-Santa Cruz-Mares universe, and not mixed with any of the more talented boxers, whether Rigondeaux at 122 or Russell at 126, or any big punchers either (Walters when he was at 126, Donaire during his prime at 122, etc).

So if you're not fighting the best boxers or the best punchers, what are you? Why should we think you're at the top level if you can't do either of those? And if you won't prove you're on the top level, then how excited should we really get about your 8-4, semi-competitive fights with some good, medium-power exchanges where no one ever gets hurt or knocked down?

Comment

Originally posted by PRchamp View Post
                  So your asking for a tune up fight before scheduling a rematch against a highly inactive Abner Mares?? Do us all a favor with this hell of a year of mega fights in 2017, we don't need to waste time. Just make the rematch this isn't 2014 papa Santa Cruz.

This by all means is not a super fight that anybody cares about. I bet my life this fight happens in May 2018
                  Can I get that in writing???
                  If so then I'll take that bet!

Comment

The first fight was exciting so I'd watch the rematch but it is not the kind of fight that needs tuneups for either man.

Comment

Working...
                    X