Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Francisco Rodriguez Jr.: One Correction From Nietes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Francisco Rodriguez Jr.: One Correction From Nietes?

By Cliff Rold - The winner of the BoxingScene and ESPN 2014 Fight of the Year didn’t end his year with a victory in the ring.

He didn’t lose either.

One fight after defeating Katsunari Takayama to become only the third fighter to unify a portion of the 105 lb. title, Mexico’s Francisco Rodriguez Jr. (16-2-1, 11 KO) held serve.

He’ll want to do more than that this Saturday (UniMas, 12 AM EST/11 PM PST).

Only 21 years old, Rodriguez has already shown himself to be a thriller. The war with Takayama was breathless stuff. His first major belt win, over Merlito Sabillo, was a breakthrough knockout. His toughness was already proven in a lopsided loss to Roman Gonzalez where he finished on his feet, taking a steady beating but not in imminent trouble.

What he has to do now is show himself to be more than a guy who was able to shrink down temporarily to boxing’s smallest division for belted success.

His last fight gave reasons to wonder. Matched in a stay busy Flyweight fight with Jomar Fajardo (14-5-2, 7 KO) on the road in the Philippines, Rodriguez escaped with a ten-round draw. It probably should have been a win.

Rodriguez let it be closer than it should have been. It was enough to get Fajardo a rematch. This time, Rodriguez has home turf and a chance to correct a verdict.

The first fight had the look of a set-up for something bigger. In the pre-fight build, Rodriguez called out WBO 108 lb. titlist Donnie Nietes. He was in Nietes’ backyard. Rodriguez still held the WBO and IBF belts one class lower. [Click Here To Read More]

I'd love to see Francisco Rodriguez Jr. vs. Javier Mendoza and Pedro Guevara vs. Donnie Nietes. Rodriguez Jr. and Mendoza will straight up throw chingasos for 12 rounds in a possible F.O.T.Y. candidate and Guevara vs. Nietes would probably be a chess match. Guevara was surgical in the Yaegashi fight, .

Comment

Originally posted by TheNightStalker View Post
      I'd love to see Francisco Rodriguez Jr. vs. Javier Mendoza and Pedro Guevara vs. Donnie Nietes. Rodriguez Jr. and Mendoza will straight up throw chingasos for 12 rounds in a possible F.O.T.Y. candidate and Guevara vs. Nietes would probably be a chess match. Guevara was surgical in the Yaegashi fight, .
      Good fights all around... but I'm not so sure Mendoza makes it past Milan Melindo. I think a fight between Melindo and Guevara would be sick as f#ck with some toe to toe tactical warfare. I would love to see Mendoza vs Chihuas too.. straight up bombs until one of them is out.

Comment

I hate how Zanfer alternates between televising some cards on BeIn Sports and others on UniMas. Both channels offer great boxing but their lack of consistency really waters down their product.

Comment

After Rodriguez stops fajardo he will destroy nietes.

Comment

Cliff, did you really just include Zou Shiming among the "real meat and potatoes" fighters north of 108?

Ugh.

Excellent article otherwise.

Comment

Working...
            X