Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Big Hopes For a Better ‘15 in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Big Hopes For a Better ‘15 in Boxing

by David P. Greisman - No year in boxing is without its upside. There will almost always be the thrills of great fights, impressively dominant performances, prospects and contenders rising toward stardom, and stars transcending toward superstardom.

Still, 2014 was far from a banner year.

Rafe Bartholomew wrote an amusing and depressing wrap-up of the year over at Grantland titled, fittingly and concisely, “Boxing: 2014, the Year of Suck.”

“Challenge one of the seen-it-all ringside scribes who has observed the sport for decades to come up with a year so chock-full of disgraceful mismatches, outrageous scorecards, and business moves that threaten to drive boxing further than ever from the American mainstream, and chances are he’ll come up empty,” Bartholomew wrote before putting forth a timeline of many of the hilarious, strange and head-shaking events of 2014.

We’re now a handful of days beyond Christmas and just a few days away from ringing in the New Year. I got what I wanted from Santa on Dec. 25. Here’s what I’m hoping for from the Sweet Science in 2015:

Big Fights Between The Best in a Division

At light heavyweight is the battle between champion Adonis Stevenson and three-belt titleholder Sergey Kovalev, a fight we wanted to see a year ago and which is even more appealing after Kovalev’s surprisingly one-sided win over Bernard Hopkins.

At middleweight, Gennady Golovkin is once again left waiting for the other big names to show themselves willing to step into the ring against one of the sport’s biggest punchers. If we get a bout between lineal champ Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez — still a huge “if” at this moment — I’d hope that we’d see the winner defend against “GGG.” I won’t hold my breath, however. [Click Here To Read More]

I agree about the small promotion companies, I will be rooting for Gary Shaw and Roc Nation. I hope Lou Dibella and Gossen can get a couple of dates on both networks Showtime and HBO.

Comment

In March of this year, I created a thread stating that the boxing offerings in the first half of the year (through June) ******. Some of the dumber posters on this site jumped on me, claiming that I was wrong and that it would turn out to be a good year -- especially with the Cotto/Martinez fight and the Alvarez/Angulo PPV coming up.

Obviously, those clowns were wrong and I would bet that none of the ones who claimed I didn't know what I was talking about would admit it now.

Comment

I hope we get to see Cotto/Golovkin in 2015, so Cotto can knock Golovkin out as I predicted and prove that Golovkin is not the beast that all the clowns on this site think he is. I am sick of seeing these lame threads about how great GGG is and he is going to KTFO of everybody in and around his weight class. The last Beast of Boxing Scene message board was Lucas Matthysse. I haven't seen a thread about him since Danny Garcia exposed him....as I predicted.

Comment

Funny, there is no mention of pending heavyweight bouts. I'd like to see if Wilder can hold up against Stiverne's power, or if he folds like I expect him to.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
            I hope we get to see Cotto/Golovkin in 2015, so Cotto can knock Golovkin out as I predicted and prove that Golovkin is not the beast that all the clowns on this site think he is. I am sick of seeing these lame threads about how great GGG is and he is going to KTFO of everybody in and around his weight class. The last Beast of Boxing Scene message board was Lucas Matthysse. I haven't seen a thread about him since Danny Garcia exposed him....as I predicted.
            It's interesting how you consider GGG a hype job. The proof is in the pudding, so we shall see.

Comment

2014 did suck but heres to a great 2015

Comment

2013 was the best and most entertaining year of boxing I have ever witnessed. then 2014 followed, and it was too bad for me to follow,I watched handful fights and was hyped only for Groves vs Froch II

May be I think it was bad because Groves and Martinez lost

Comment

Working...
                X