No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ishe Smith Finally Climbs To The Top of The Mountain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ishe Smith Finally Climbs To The Top of The Mountain

By Jake Donovan - For decades, Las Vegas has been known as the boxing capital of the world, though a town without a homegrown major titlist.

Ishe Smith finally put an end to that drought, becoming the first-ever Vegas-born fighter to win a belt Saturday evening. The hard-luck veteran did so in hostile territory, taking a split decision over Cornelius Bundrage in the defending titlist’s hometown of Detroit, Michigan.

Scores were 116-111 (twice) for Smith and 114-113 for Bundrage in their Showtime-televised main event.

Smith’s second-half run and emotional post-fight interview made for a memorable evening even when the action in the ring didn’t always accomplish that feat.

The bout began painfully slow, as neither fighter offered much more than a jab in the early going. Bundrage was docked a point in round two for extracurricular activity during a lull, hitting Smith on the break and then again after shoving him to the canvas. There was initial confusion as to the deduction, as referee Sam Williams sent both fighters to the corner and deducted a point without saying who was being penalized and why. [Click Here To Read More]

I'm happy for Smith. I heard SD, and I was a bit angered by it. 114-113 for Bundrage.....

I see why people were annoyed by his post fight deal, but the dude has been through a lot.

Congrats, champ.

Comment

Congrats Ishe,been along time coming..

Comment

Good for him. Now lets see some worthy people finally challenging for a title at 154.

Comment

Not exactly the "top" of the mountain is it.

Congrats for becoming an average beltholder though, smith

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            Not exactly the "top" of the mountain is it.

Congrats for becoming an average beltholder though, smith
            My thoughts exactly when I read the threat title. "top of the mountain?" He beat Bundrage for christ sakes then balled like hysterical woman afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
              Good for him. Now lets see some worthy people finally challenging for a title at 154.
              Yeah, it's a bit like that but it's still a real feel good movie sort of ending isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                My thoughts exactly when I read the threat title. "top of the mountain?" He beat Bundrage for christ sakes then balled like hysterical woman afterwards.
                I know, right?

I mean, who the hell does that?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                  Yeah, it's a bit like that but it's still a real feel good movie sort of ending isn't it?
                  Kinda like Mickey Ward's movie, "The Fighter", when he won the WBU 140 pound title at the end, they made it seem like he was on top as well...Anyways it was a great win for Ishe Smith, can't blame him a bit for showing a lot of passion for the sport and overcoming his obstacles.

Comment

Ishe was crying like Cuba Gooding jr. in Jerry maguire when he finally caught his break.

Comment

Working...
                    X