Like Putin and the KGB - Vitali Klitschko is Top Secret

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Putin and the KGB - Vitali Klitschko is Top Secret

by T.K. Stewart

For former heavyweight titlist Vitali Klitschko, a product of the old sport schools from the glory days of the Soviet Empire, his has been a boxing career that is sometimes seen as a secretive, KGB-like journey through the murky underworld that is professional boxing.

Klitschko, the son of a former Soviet Air Force Colonel, makes his long awaited return to the squared circle in less than two weeks and for his rabid fans it will be a much celebrated occasion. He has been away from the rigors of the ring for nearly four years, but because of his favored status with Jose Sulaiman's WBC, he will go straight to Berlin, Germany and into a title shot against Samuel 'The Nigerian Nightmare' Peter.

Vitali and his younger brother Wladimir (the belt holder of the IBF and WBO titles) are aiming to fulfill a boyhood fantasy of holding versions of the heavyweight championship simultaneously.

"Without dreams, life is boring," says the 37 year old Vitali. "For years it has been my dream to be a world champion at the same time as my brother."

Klitschko retired from boxing in 2005 because he was repeatedly stricken with a host of training injuries. He suffered from everything to a bum shoulder to a bad back to a thigh injury to a creaky knee. Some blamed the injuries on anabolic steroids and Klitschko once tested positive for the banned substances as an amateur. In 2005 he went through a period where his enormous body (6'7 1/2" tall and 250 pounds) was breaking down on him all at once. Instead of continuing, Klitschko, then the WBC heavyweight titlist, simply retired.

What was interesting to watch, is that each time he was injured, Klitschko would be quickly whisked off by his handlers to a clandestine hospital somewhere in the heart of Europe - or even Southern California (What's the difference?). It was tough to determine whether he was operated on, simply rehabbed or if he was really injured at all as he was usually kept far from the peering eyes of the free press. [details]

That was the most biased and hatemongering load of badly informed crap I've ever read. Sure Sam Peters got to knock Vitali out for a draw in Germany and Vitali seems to sh## scared of Hasim Rahman for some bizarre and unknown reason, but what is with all the Ivan Drago rubbish. T K Stewart needs to find a new outlet for hate of Slavic people because that just read like an uneducated morons appraisal of the Klitschko's.

As soon as this dork started crapping on about "secret training camps in the alps with scientists and blah blah blah" I knew it was going to turn into "robot fighters from rocky IV" pretty soon.

Comment

Funny bul****.

K2 pays 13 Million Dollars because Wlad and Steward did not want to fight in Moscow against the Russian Povetkin.

The cold war is over. The Klitschko brothers are world people, speak different languages and live in different countries. Germany, USA, Ukraine.

Comment

I assume that the writer knows that the KGB were murderous scum, and Vitali Klitschko and his team are, in contrast, respectable, law abiding people?

It would offensive to compare a German boxer to the Nazis, and I can understand why some may be critical of the article on that basis.

Ivan Drago is an anti-Russian stereotype from the Cold War era.

Also, wasn't Vitali a supporter of the Orange Revolution, which favoured stronger ties with the West rather than Russia and Putin?

It seems like a very stereotypical view of Russians and Ukrainians.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleCuntington View Post
          I assume that the writer knows that the KGB were murderous scum, and Vitali Klitschko and his team are, in contrast, respectable, law abiding people?

It would offensive to compare a German boxer to the Nazis, and I can understand why some may be critical of the article on that basis.

Ivan Drago is an anti-Russian stereotype from the Cold War era.

Also, wasn't Vitali a supporter of the Orange Revolution, which favoured stronger ties with the West rather than Russia and Putin?

It seems like a very stereotypical view of Russians and Ukrainians.
          this writers a joke. I forget what his user name is on these forums but he's always been so obviously biased against the klits its laughable

Comment

BPP please dont let this rubbish on you`re site, this article is terrible, it brings the name of you`re great site down, i am not happy with this

Comment

Originally posted by hungryherbert View Post
              BPP please dont let this rubbish on you`re site, this article is terrible, it brings the name of you`re great site down, i am not happy with this
              this was a poor attempt from the writer, im sure he can come up with much better than this

Comment

If I was younger I would be offended at the article, since I hold a Ukrainian passport, and Vitaliy's political views are very far from being either Russian or KGB.

Here is a peice of advice. If you try to get political and come across as clever in writing whatever it is that your writing, at least spend some time researching the politics behind all this.

To a semi-educated man you just come across as an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by classicbuzzbox View Post
                  That was the most biased and hatemongering load of badly informed crap I've ever read. Sure Sam Peters got to knock Vitali out for a draw in Germany and Vitali seems to sh## scared of Hasim Rahman for some bizarre and unknown reason, but what is with all the Ivan Drago rubbish. T K Stewart needs to find a new outlet for hate of Slavic people because that just read like an uneducated morons appraisal of the Klitschko's.

As soon as this dork started crapping on about "secret training camps in the alps with scientists and blah blah blah" I knew it was going to turn into "robot fighters from rocky IV" pretty soon.
                  Every letter so far has been very much antagonistic to the writer's views. I call them views, because there is really no research, nor genuine fact in anthing he wrote. So I picked this letter by ClassicBuzz to attacth mine to because he expresses MY OWN attitude in a language that, whilst I don't use it, I fully agree with.

I am disappointed in T.K. Stewart. Normally I absolutely enjoy his writing, which is far better than the above effort. In this particular piece of (I MUST say it) drek, very little is factual and the vast majority is rumour, inuendo, falsehood, invention, mythical , and little more than downright "rump-sniffing". [I just made up this last description, as a means of showing how STRONGLY I feel about this "article"). The rump I'm talking about is, naturally Don King's.

The Klitschko's are, as far as I can see, some of the most decent people in boxing today, and for many a year. The good they do around the world is impossible to calculate, and they NEVER look for praise or credit.

As for the stories that Klitschko was scared stiff of Rahman, being "whispered around" in the boxing world, they were started by King and Rahman, and believed in by nobody at all, even King and Rahman. I'd bet on it.

As for the multitude of injuries, according to T.K. they seemed so many and varied, that I'm surprised that he didn't pull out of his huge bag of falsifications, a ready made Klitschko medical clinic attached to his camp, complete with girders, and steel joists in line with the robotlike, Drago-like, hidden KDB members.

The TRUE facts, which seem to have been lost in the myth and legend spread by such as T.K. are that Klitschko suffered only ONE injury during his Rahman fight time. His "thigh" injury, was not an injury it was later shown to have been a bony spur growth which pressed on the scuiatic nerve going to the thigh transferring the pain. He had surgery, which made him ready to fight Rahman in September. BUT RAHMAN fought Barrett instead, and was supposed to have been also able to fight Klitschko. But he didn't.

Klitscko's lone injury then came about when his legs became entabgled with his sparring apartner's and he fell, 10 days before the fight. He broke the "ANTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT" in his kneee, about an inch thick. The WBC gave him 60-90 days to fight, but the doctors said at least 6 months...So he retired.

And, in contrast to the accusation of "secrecy" (and why should they blare their problems out to the public anyway?) Larry Merchant, on TV gave a detailed account of, how, to "clear up the whole thing", he interviewed the surgeon who performed the operation, and that the Klitscko's account of the whole affair was accurate.

What more can anyone say?? T.K. Go somewhere (not to the Ukraine) and take a long rest.

Comment

An article I would expect from a 1950s small town newspaper, not from 21st century well educated reporter.

Comment

Working...
                    X