No announcement yet.

Of Fragile Fetlocks, Brittle Egos and Superman’s Glass Jaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Fragile Fetlocks, Brittle Egos and Superman’s Glass Jaw

BY MICHAEL KATZ - “Down the stretch they come….” Dave Johnson’s signature horse racing call does not usually apply to boxing, where the final stages are more painful than thrilling. Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott, George Foreman and Bernard Hopkins are exceptions to the rule that fighters have, as the Racing Form would say, “no late foot.”

It’s not only age. Getting hit in the head, in combat and during long hours in the gym, is not conducive to longevity. Even the best – as my updated pound-for-pound list will show later this opus – sooner or later show wear and tear of a hazardous profession. Goodbye Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales. It happens in horse racing, too.

That doesn’t stop them, of course, and if matched against similar old nags, might even supply some entertainment for the blood-thirsty among us. See Ricardo Mayorga-Fernando Vargas, the upcoming match between Roy Jones Jr. and Felix Trinidad Jr., which demonstrates how even Juniors can be seniors, and the preposterous talk of Mike Tyson facing Evander Holyfield again, perhaps on a Florida shuffleboard court. The withering of reflexes and hand speed could have disastrous effects, but if the erosion of skills is the same on both sides, what remains are the competitive hearts, the reason these guys were champions in the first place. [details]

I keep seeing Pac @ #2 on P4P list which i believe should be Calzaghe, but i suppose when Pac losses to JMM and when Calzaghe crushed BHOP people will start seeing Pac as a myth. Calzaghe 0 losses. Pac 3 losses & 2 draws. Pac got lucky against El Terrible and MAB, and Jose Suliman should stop riding Pac d*ck!

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddysback View Post
      I keep seeing Pac @ #2 on P4P list which i believe should be Calzaghe, but i suppose when Pac losses to JMM and when Calzaghe crushed BHOP people will start seeing Pac as a myth. Calzaghe 0 losses. Pac 3 losses & 2 draws. Pac got lucky against El Terrible and MAB, and Jose Suliman should stop riding Pac d*ck!

Shut the **** up *****!

Back to business........

Good article!!!! I'd like to talk with whoever wrote that! Very well written IMO! The only beefs I have are that the writer said that Miguel Cotto has quicker hands than Ricky Hatton....??? I just don't see that. And that Trinidad hadn't beaten anyone of significance since Joppy in 2001.. He destroyed Mayorga, who had never previously been stopped.

I'm sure the writer has some counter points.

AWESOME article nonetheless.....

Comment

Here comes the Pac-haters again! Why cry on the #2 P4P honors for Pac when he soundly deserve it? In fact, Pac should have been #1 after beating Morales in their last 2 encounters. Ugly Boy Floyd should have been #2! But you will get another setback... Pacman will destroy the aging, balding and slumping JuanManuelMarquez!

Comment

Originally posted by v.cassiusali@ya View Post
          Here comes the Pac-haters again! Why cry on the #2 P4P honors for Pac when he soundly deserve it? In fact, Pac should have been #1 after beating Morales in their last 2 encounters. Ugly Boy Floyd should have been #2! But you will get another setback... Pacman will destroy the aging, balding and slumping JuanManuelMarquez!
          LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Marquez slumping, LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Seriously, Marquez is aging and this is the perfect time for Pac to fight him (while Marquez might be slipping a bit but his reputation has never been higher). And balding, really what does that have to do with fighting, its like saying Pacquiao's horrible tattoo will lose him a fight. Anyways, Michael as always I enjoy your pieces. I am in complete agreeance in regards to Greg Leon, but the kid has tried to make himself a fixture for some time, even appearing on TV in the name of boxing. We'll see what he actually will accomplish. I like the top 25, but not one big man, not even Wladimir Klitschko in there. Maybe squeeze him in at 25.

Comment

When Pac gets beaten by JMM and Calzaghe beats BHOP new list.

1. PBF
            2. Calzaghe
            3. JMM
            4. Cotto
            5. Winky
            6. Vasquez
            7. Pavlik
            8. Diaz
            9. Katsidis
            10. Dawson

I know Pac beat "El Terrible" twice but to drop JMM three times in the 1st round the end up to be a draw? JMM by decision and no knockdowns just like Pac vs MAB2.

Comment

Working...
            X