No announcement yet.

Is There Too Much Pound for Pound?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There Too Much Pound for Pound?

By Cliff Rold - Watching newly crowned World jr. flyweight champion Ivan Calderon celebrate after his earned, grueling victory Saturday night over Hugo Cazares, a question popped into my mind:

Where does Calderon rate pound-for-pound?

I’ve already pondered where he could land when I do my annual end of year offering. In my post-fight wrap, I even went so far as to declare that Calderon “forced his way into any credible debate about the best fighters in the game, pound for pound.” And it’s true; Calderon did do just that. However, I find myself in the hours and days after the fight wondering this:

Why does it matter? More to the point, why is there such an obsession with the pound-for-pound ratings?

Maybe it’s just me and others aren’t thinking in such terms but it seems that way. I know why most writers throw up their lists: they trigger discussion; they kill time in slow weeks (as does deconstructionist prattle); they assert that an observer is ‘serious’ about his coverage of the sport; and they can be fun, especially in the online ‘barbershop.’ Unfortunately, they’ve also become a big part of the business of boxing, making them increasingly less fun and perhaps even bad for business.

Ask anyone who has been in the thick of the pound-for-pound debate in recent years if it was bad for their personal business and to a man fighters like Roy Jones, Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather will likely answer no. Why wouldn’t they? Each received an exclusive contract guaranteeing mandatory minimum purses with the biggest television network in U.S. boxing, HBO. Each was allowed to occasionally cash those multi-million dollar mandatory minimums with fights against the likes of Ricky Frazier, Adrian Stone and Henry Bruseles. [details]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 08-29-2007, 10:29 PM.

people look to much into P4P. its just something fun, a discussion starter and things you can compare and debate about.

People take it to far, like they use lists to decide who would win a fight. Like Rafael Marquez was in many peoples top 5 p4p after VAZQEUZ 1, so Marquez was everyones immediate choice.

It shouldnt be used like that IMO, it almost never works anyways

Comment

My concern is that they use lists to get around actually watching more fights.

Comment

I think pound for pound is meaningless. How can you be pound for pound the best fighter when your weight dictates how you fight. If you are 250lbs it stands to reason you aren`t going to be as quick as a lightweight or move around the ring as fast.

Does that mean that the lightweight is p4p better?

I have never understood the term.

Why can`t people just say, this guy is the best heavyweight, or best middleweight, all this p4p crap just makes the politics of boxing even more confusing to the layman than it already is.

Comment

Originally posted by me2007 View Post
          I think pound for pound is meaningless. How can you be pound for pound the best fighter when your weight dictates how you fight. If you are 250lbs it stands to reason you aren`t going to be as quick as a lightweight or move around the ring as fast.

Does that mean that the lightweight is p4p better?

I have never understood the term.

Why can`t people just say, this guy is the best heavyweight, or best middleweight, all this p4p crap just makes the politics of boxing even more confusing to the layman than it already is.
          amen to that

Comment

Nice article.

Anyway, I happen to like the pound-for-pound debate (let's face it, it's nothing but). It's something that's never going to go away because people will always watch boxing and say something to the effect of: "Hey, did you see Joe Blow fight at Jr. Lightweight last night? Man, he's a small guy, but I bet he could beat anyone out there who matched up to his size!" I bet that's how P4P got it's start (probably in a bar somewhere). It allows a fighter's fans to discuss how great he is; so great, that, if he were the same size/weight as XYZ fighter, he'd whoop his ass from pillar to post.

That's all P4P is, it's a subjective measure of one fighter's skills against others. We all know that styles make fights (that is to say that certain styles, when pitted against each other, produce more exciting matches than other styles), and we tend to transpose fighters and their skills/style into hypothetical matches.

Calderon, to get back to topic, is a great boxer with a very elusive style. If you could imagine Calderon's style being used against any other boxer out there, it's hard to pick against Calderon. By that standard, he has to be ranked amongst the P4P elite in the sport. Personally, I have him in the top 15 right now, but he's close to busting the top 10. He just busted up the best 108-pounder out there proving that his style is superior to most.

Comment

Great Article

Comment

I don't see why he's not top ten now outside of his division being a roadblock to attention.

Comment

Working...
                X