No announcement yet.

Dana White Sounds Off on Boxing, De La Hoya

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana White Sounds Off on Boxing, De La Hoya

In a recent conference call with the media, UFC president Dana White discussed the sport of boxing, the Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather, Jr. pay-per-view and several boxers who want to enter the UFC. [details]

He knows Mayweather is a pure boxer, and ultimate fighting would be way out of his element. Thats why he isnt interested in the fight with Cintron. That and the wrestling background.

Anyways hes dead on about why boxing has so many issues.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
      He knows Mayweather is a pure boxer, and ultimate fighting would be way out of his element. Thats why he isnt interested in the fight with Cintron. That and the wrestling background.

Anyways hes dead on about why boxing has so many issues.
      Nah. He's not going after Cintron because he's not a hyped up name as Mayweather is. No offense to the Boxing folk here, but if you go up to a casual and ask who Kermit Cintron is, they wouldn't have a clue. If you ask who Mayweather is, most will be able to answer.

That's the line of thinking Dana is running on.

I would love to see Cintron step inside though. I wonder what school he'd train with.

Comment

I respect the Pride and UFC competitions and their fighters. I have watched from time to time ever since the first UFC. It is cool with me.

I have watched boxing throughout my whole life and I love it with a passion. The sport has let me down many times, but it always redeems itself to me, and usually with a BANG!

Dana White has some very good points about the current problems of boxing, I am glad he scolded Oscar for the very weak undercard. I would probally prefer that Dana White picked opponents for fighters like Taylor, Mayweather etc.

Anyway... I just don't understand why there is always so much talk about boxing VS. MMA ? Why is it that people don't just talk about one sport then move on to the other? Or just talk about the one that you care for the most and say nothing about the sport you are "not into?"

It seems to me boxing has done alot of damage to itself and it will need to work hard to get back on track. Okay, I get that. But the sport can't really be dead when it is thriving in the world beyond America. (sorry, but American tastes or opinions do not rule the world.)

And if boxing is so gawd damn dead, why is the UFC talking about it constantly? Why are "we" here on BOXINGscene.com and not on groundandpound.com, or ultimatechokehold.com? And should I even mention how silly it really is when someone on THIS website argues about why MMA is better than boxing? I guess I will just end this by saying ...I know I would feel pretty hypocritical and stupid if I were over at the official UFC website and I was saying that boxer A is better than MMA fighter B.

Comment

He could also add in the Sanctioning Bodies...

With That being said.. this guy needs to shut his mouth and worry about his own sport..

This Anti Boxing thing in MMA/UFC is getting tired...

You always know someone is insecure when the way they BUILD themselves up.. Is by putting someone else down..

Why dont they just sell UFC/MMA on its own merits? without bashing Boxing along the way???
          Last edited by Welter_Skelter; 05-26-2007, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.anthrax View Post
            I respect the Pride and UFC competitions and their fighters. I have watched from time to time ever since the first UFC. It is cool with me.

I have watched boxing throughout my whole life and I love it with a passion. The sport has let me down many times, but it always redeems itself to me, and usually with a BANG!

Dana White has some very good points about the current problems of boxing, I am glad he scolded Oscar for the very weak undercard. I would probally prefer that Dana White picked opponents for fighters like Taylor, Mayweather etc.

Anyway... I just don't understand why there is always so much talk about boxing VS. MMA ? Why is it that people don't just talk about one sport then move on to the other? Or just talk about the one that you care for the most and say nothing about the sport you are "not into?"

It seems to me boxing has done alot of damage to itself and it will need to work hard to get back on track. Okay, I get that. But the sport can't really be dead when it is thriving in the world beyond America. (sorry, but American tastes or opinions do not rule the world.)

And if boxing is so gawd damn dead, why is the UFC talking about it constantly? Why are "we" here on BOXINGscene.com and not on groundandpound.com, or ultimatechokehold.com? And should I even mention how silly it really is when someone on THIS website argues about why MMA is better than boxing? I guess I will just end this by saying ...I know I would feel pretty hypocritical and stupid if I were over at the official UFC website and I was saying that boxer A is better than MMA fighter B.
            gotta say i totally agree, really good post, sums my view om the matter up..

the one thing that white, that really was proved a point, for me, was when talking about the undercard. imagine the buzz and excitement, if you had undercard with fmj-dlh, winky-hopkins..

Comment

He makes good points but....
              Dana (UFC) is doing EXACTLY what these greedy boxing guys have done
              I hope he remembers this when UFC 72 flops like like the piece of **** its going to be

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
                He could also add in the Sanctioning Bodies...

With That being said.. this guy needs to shut his mouth and worry about his own sport..

This Anti Boxing thing in MMA/UFC is getting tired...

You always know someone is insecure when the way they BUILD themselves up.. Is by putting someone else down..

Why dont they just sell UFC/MMA on its own merits? without bashing Boxing along the way???

Well put. That Joe Rogan, who is not a good commentator by the way, is always talkin **** about boxing in during MMA figths. Im tired of that ****.

Comment

If Dana White puts up $20 million for Floyd to fight then I might take him seriously about wanting to pit boxing against MMA. The reason he isn't interested in Cintron is that a puncher may well expose his fighters, whereas a stylish technician like Mayweather who holds all the cards in a boxing ring would be at a decisive disadvantage in the octagon.

Comment

LMAO @ Dana calling Floyd the best in "history", I'm not even that familiar with boxing history before the mid 90's, and even I know that's false.

Comment

Working...
                    X