Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Blogs > The Monk
Rate this Entry

Best at Light-Flyweight

Posted 02-22-2009 at 05:11 PM by The Monk
To be honest, when I started my journey through all of boxings weight classes I couldn’t tell you much about Light Flyweight at all. I knew about the trilogy between the two hall of famers, Carbajal and Gonzalez, but that is about the limit of my knowledge. After a bit of research I became aware that the History of the division, albeit quite short, was an interesting one. Like many of the lower weight classes it is not viewed with much importance in the US and Europe, whereas in the Far East, where boxers have enjoyed much success, fighters have been able to string together lengthy reigns as champions. My list has been edited with the help of the thread I started in the Boxing History section and finally I think I have settled with this one….

1. Humberto Gonzalez 43 (31) – 3 – 0

• 3 time world champion
• Titles held: Lineal world title (1994-1995, 3 defences); WBC title (1989-1990, 5 defences; 1991-1993, 4 defences; 1994-1995. 3 defences); WBA title (1994-1995, 3 defences)
• Faced Carbajal in first Light-Flyweight fight to headline PPV
• Notable wins on resume: Yul-Woo Lee, Jung-Koo Chang, Francisco Tejedor, Melchor Cob Castro (x2), Napa Kiatwanchai, Michael Carbajal (x2), Juan Domingo Cordoba

2. Michael Carbajal 49 (33) – 4 – 0

• 4 time world champion
• Titles held: Lineal world title (1993-1994, 2 defences); IBF title (1990-1994, 9 defences; 1996-1997, 2 defences); WBC title (1993-1994, 2 defences); WBO title (1994, 0 defences; 1999, 0 defences)
• Unified IBF and WBC titles
• Faced Gonzalez in first Light-Flyweight fight to headline PPV card
• First Light-Flyweight to receive a million dollar purse
• Notable wins on resume: Muangchai Kittikasem, Humberto Gonzalez, Josue Camacho, Melchor Cob Castro, Jorge Arce

3. Jung-Koo Chang 38 (17) – 4 – 0

• Titles held: WBC title (1983-1988, 15 defences)
• Notable names on resume: Alfonso Lopez, Jong- Kwan Chung, Amado Ursua, Hilario Zapata, German Torres (x3), Sot Chitalada, Katsuo Tokashiki, Hideyuki Ohashi (x2), Isidro Perez

4. Myung-Woo Yuh 38 (14) – 1 – 0

• 2 time Light-Flyweight champion
• Titles held: WBA title (1985-1991, 17 defences; 1992-1993, 1 defences)
• Notable names on resume: Bi Won Chung, Joey Olivo, Jose De Jesus (x2), Rodolfo Blanco, Leo Gamez (x2), Hiroki Ioka

5. Hilario Zapata 43 (14) – 10 – 1

• 2 time Light-Flyweight champion
• Titles held: WBC title (1980-1982, 8 defences; 1982-1983, 2 defences)
• Notable names on resume: Freddy Castillo, Shigeo Nakajima (x2), Joey Olivo, German Torres, Netrnoi Sor Vorasin, Tadashi Tamori (x2), Jung- Koo Chang

*Zapata later moved up to Flyweight to claim the WBA title by beating Alonzo Gonzalez. He defended his title 5 times including defeating Dodie Boy Penalosa. Also drew with Fidel Bassa.

Those who just missed out: Jorge Arce, Yoko Gushiken, Luis Estaba, Saman Sarjaturong, Jacob Matala

Ones who could make the list in the future: Ulises Solis, Ivan Calderon, Edgar Sosa

One point I’d just like to make is how unfortunate it was the Ricardo Lopez didn’t fight Carbajal or Gonzalez. A sign of how well Lopez may have done had he have faced the top dogs at 108lbs was the performance of Saman Sarjaturong at Light flyweight. Lopez blasted Sarjaturong within two rounds while two years later at 108lbs Sarjaturong would stop the great Conquita Gonzalez in a classic and go on to defend his lineal title 10 times. In my opinion Lopez would have stopped both Carbajal and Gonzales had they ever met.

*not relevant to specified division
Submit "Best at Light-Flyweight" to Facebook Submit "Best at Light-Flyweight" to Twitter Submit "Best at Light-Flyweight" to Digg Submit "Best at Light-Flyweight" to del.icio.us Submit "Best at Light-Flyweight" to StumbleUpon Submit "Best at Light-Flyweight" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3551 Comments 0 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments

Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.