Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Blogs > The Monk
Rate this Entry

Best at Straw-weight

Posted 02-12-2009 at 06:37 PM by The Monk
The 5 best at Straw-weight

1. Ricardo Lopez 51 (38) - 0 – 1

• Titles held: Lineal world title (1990-1999, 22 defences); WBC title (1990-1999, 21 defences); WBO title (1997, 0 defences); WBA title (1998-1999, 0 defences)
• Unbeaten at Straw-weight
• Notable wins on resume: Rosendo Alvarez, Alex Sanchez, Kermit Guardia, Manny Melchor, Samon Sorjaturong, Kyung-Yun Lee, Hideyuki Ohashi

* Moved up to Light-Flyweight and beat Will Grigsby to claim IBF crown. Defended title twice against former Straw-weight champions Ratanpol Sor Vorapin and Zolani Petelo.

2. Ivan Calderon 32 (6) – 0 - 0

• Titles held: WBO title (2003-2007, 11 defences)
• Unbeaten at Straw-weight
• Notable wins on resume: Eduardo Ray Marquez, Alex Sanchez, Edgar Cardenas, Roberto Carlos Leyva, Daniel Reyes, Isaac Bustos

*Moved up to Light-Flyweight and beat Hugo Fidel Cazares to win WBO and ring titles. Defended title 3 times including against Cazares and Nelson Dieppa.

3. Rosendo Alvarez 37 (24) – 3 – 2

• Titles held: WBA title (1995-1998, 5 defences)
• Holds draw with Lopez
• Notable wins on resume: Chana Porpaoin, Kermin Guardia, Eric Chavez, Jose Bonilla, Songkram Popaoin

* Moved up to Light-Flyweight and beat Beibis Mendoza to claim WBA crown. Defended title 3 times including wins over Pichit Chor Siriwat and Mendoza and a draw against Victor Burgos.

4. Yutaka Niida 23 (9) – 2 – 3

• Titles held: WBA title (2001, 0 defences; 2004-2008, 7 defences)
• Notable wins on resume: Chana Porpaoin, Noel Arambulet, Katsunari Takayma,

5. Chana Porpaoin 54 (19) – 4 – 4

• Titles held: WBA title (1993-1995, 8 defences; 2001, 0 defences)
• Notable wins on resume: Hideyuki Ohashi, Carlos Murillo (twice), Rafael Torres, Keitaro Hoshino

Those who just missed out: Ratanpol Sor Vorapin, Fahlan Sakkreerin, Eagle Kwoya, Jose Antonio Aguirre, Zolani Petelo, Noel Arambulet

Ones for the future: Roman Gonzalez

* Not relevant to specified division
Submit "Best at Straw-weight" to Facebook Submit "Best at Straw-weight" to Twitter Submit "Best at Straw-weight" to Digg Submit "Best at Straw-weight" to del.icio.us Submit "Best at Straw-weight" to StumbleUpon Submit "Best at Straw-weight" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4775 Comments 3 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old
    Recently I decided to try and work my way through every division ranking who I felt the best fighters were in each. I compiled my list on the strength of the boxers resume coupled with their achievements at the weight. The key term there being ‘at the weight’; I wanted to look solely at a boxer’s performance at that specific weight class. Anyway, feel free to agree/disagree with my list and if others can post their list up it would be good. My straw-weight knowledge isn’t too substantial so feel free to tear my list apart…

I’m not too sure whether I’m going to post the rest of my lists up, kinda depends on whether people are interested or not.
  2. Old
    I thought you put together a great list of straw weight fighters. I'm not up too much on that division, but I do remember Ricardo Lopez and him coming back after double hand surgery and winning by ko. Not only greatest at his weight, but possibly one of all time greats. But thats just my opinion. I'd like to see your other lists as well.
    Thanks Monk
  3. Old
    Thanks for the feedback Ernie. Ricardo Lopez was a one off, i'm not sure if we'll see another boxer like him again. Just an immaculate technician who was close to unbeatable at the lower weights. He is certainly underrated in my opinion, but I think his standing among the all time greats is affected by the fact he didn't fight Gonzalez or Carbajal; i'd back him against both for the record.

Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.