Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Blogs > KnockoutTheFat
Rate this Entry

A rant about Joe Calzaghe's mythical match-ups

Posted 02-06-2009 at 04:37 AM by KOTheFat
Updated 02-06-2009 at 04:43 AM by KOTheFat
FFS every time I see a Joe vs. Legend A Legend B or Legend C discussion, the legends that are brought up are NOT GREAT AROUND JOE's weight. It's not far-fetched that Joe beats these legends in fact I'd go out on a limb and say he would, specifically Hearns and Leonard simply because of the fact that they were never natural SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHTS. Jesus Christ, Leonard's best win at SMW was frickin Donny Lalonde and he didn't look great. Hearns' has a better chance but I still say he loses; his best weight class was at WELTERWEIGHT, 21 lbs less then the SMW class. Many people wouldn't give Calzaghe credit for that win anyway because he's not a prime natural SMW.

If Calzaghe was fighting around Hagler and Leonard's time, he wouldn't be fighting at the MW division; they had same day weigh-ins! Calzaghe struggled to make SMW numerous times; he struggled to make weight for the Lacy fight, which many people considered to be Calzaghe's finest moment. So if that was Calzaghe's prime, what the hell makes you think he can make the SMW limit on the night of the fight? By the same-day weigh-in rules Hagler lived in he'd would be fighting at LHW which brings me to my next point.

Why don't you guys compare him to LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHTS? Calzaghe struggled to make SMW many times and has the Ring LHW title. Why not bring up a Calzaghe vs. Bob Foster debate? Or how about a Calzaghe vs. Michael Spinks discussion? What about a fight with Dwight Qawi, Henry Maske, or Virgil Hill. Put him in fights with people around his weight class, jesus. Hagler is not in his weight class, Leonard isn't, and Hearns wasn't at his best there.

If Calzaghe fought them and beat them, he wouldn't get the credit he would deserve anyway; the majority of critics would just come up with the excuse "oh they weren't SMW's anyway". And they're right! That's why I made this blog; Calzaghe needs to be compared with fighters around his weight class; not 2-3 weight classes below.

End of rant.
Submit "A rant about Joe Calzaghe's mythical match-ups" to Facebook Submit "A rant about Joe Calzaghe's mythical match-ups" to Twitter Submit "A rant about Joe Calzaghe's mythical match-ups" to Digg Submit "A rant about Joe Calzaghe's mythical match-ups" to del.icio.us Submit "A rant about Joe Calzaghe's mythical match-ups" to StumbleUpon Submit "A rant about Joe Calzaghe's mythical match-ups" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1052 Comments 0 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments

Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.