View Full Version : WBO - a real world title?

Flagellum Dei
11-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Am I the only person on this forum who believes that the WBO is a minor title, and is only used as either a) stepping stone to greater things or b) a money maker for boxers not capable of attaining the heddy heights of a WBC/WBA title?

Moreover, shouldn't the WBO be renamed the 'Warren Boxing Organisation', as most of the boxers he promotes seem to attain this version of the title and stay there, making bucket fulls of cash and boxing on free to air tv channels! And even if some of his boxers do win a IBF title, they relinquish it when asked to box a fighter of some calibre!

FeelTheA-Force
11-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Man Your So Buryed In Red Karma Its Unbelievable...

U Cunt Bag

Dye
11-30-2006, 03:02 PM
yes the WBO is a "Real" title you dip****

The Raging Bull
11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Yes it is a major title in my opinion.

Flagellum Dei
11-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Man Your So Buryed In Red Karma Its Unbelievable...

U Cunt Bag

I may be buried in red karma, but at least I can spell correctly d'uh

Nacho_Analstain
11-30-2006, 03:15 PM
why has calzaghe relinquished his ibf belt?

Shanus
11-30-2006, 03:16 PM

They wanted him to fight some Stieglitz guy.

And the WBO is more credible than the IBF IMO due to how much of a retarded organization it's been recently.

Dye
11-30-2006, 03:18 PM
I may be buried in red karma, but at least I can spell correctly d'uh

you will have to excuse him

Flagellum Dei
11-30-2006, 03:18 PM

God! Don't even get me started on that one, this forum is full of enough idiots, especially that Audley fan ('nuff said there then)! Maybe, he should join a knitting forum instead and swap patterns on the lastest train spotting jumpers instead!?!

hemichromis
11-30-2006, 03:19 PM
the ibf is to fond of stripping people IMO although alot of the commisions do it and rarely is it justified

Flagellum Dei
11-30-2006, 03:19 PM
you will have to excuse him

LOL an American (no comment) I won't even bother talking to you! Be gone!

GEOFFHAYES
11-30-2006, 03:28 PM
In recent times it's been seen as a joke. But nobody ever seemed to question Chris Eubank's status as world champion. When Nigel Benn beat Doug DeWitt, he was considered a world champion just like Alan Minter was and Barry McGuigan was.

Flagellum Dei
11-30-2006, 03:32 PM
In recent times it's been seen as a joke. But nobody ever seemed to question Chris Eubank's status as world champion. When Nigel Benn beat Doug DeWitt, he was considered a world champion just like Alan Minter was and Barry McGuigan was.

Yea, I agree! At the time though I remember many people questioning Eubank's calibre of opponents and the WBO's credibility! However, Eubank proved himself as a champion in the Benn, Malinga and Watson fights

Dye
11-30-2006, 03:40 PM

well **** you than

Flagellum Dei
11-30-2006, 03:59 PM
well **** you than

Sorry, on this one occasion I'll speak to you, and refer you to the answer I gave previously, learn to spell correctly!

MickyHatton
11-30-2006, 04:13 PM
You know my opinion on this subject, seems some agree with me.

I dont feel there is a prominent organisation any longer due to the boxers throughout the years coming through the melting pot and spreading out into the different organisations.

The promoters define the fights which in turn define the standard of the belt!

!!! Beowulf !!!
11-30-2006, 04:16 PM
The WBO is as credible as the IBF, WBC and WBA.

Flagellum Dei
11-30-2006, 04:21 PM
You know my opinion on this subject, seems some agree with me.

I dont feel there is a prominent organisation any longer due to the boxers throughout the years coming through the melting pot and spreading out into the different organisations.

The promoters define the fights which in turn define the standard of the belt!

I agree (for once) potentially a boxer can become a world champion after only 2 years of boxing, or after 10 pro bouts! There is to much differentiation, surely belts should be merged, as boxing is becoming too diluted! Sports such as the UFC are gaining ground as they are seen as more credible by many!

Nacho_Analstain
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
yeh i agree,there is so many ****in belts,it seems anybody could buy a plastic belt put there name on it and everybody would fight for it!

rooq
11-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Am I the only person on this forum who believes that the WBO is a minor title, and is only used as either a) stepping stone to greater things or b) a money maker for boxers not capable of attaining the heddy heights of a WBC/WBA title?

Moreover, shouldn't the WBO be renamed the 'Warren Boxing Organisation', as most of the boxers he promotes seem to attain this version of the title and stay there, making bucket fulls of cash and boxing on free to air tv channels! And even if some of his boxers do win a IBF title, they relinquish it when asked to box a fighter of some calibre!

there are a few good WBO champions...apart from Joe theres also Taylor, Margarito, Freitas, Guzman...

I don't think any boxer would avoid the belt. Otherwise De La Hoya, Hopkins and Taylor wouldn't have bothered paying the sanctioning fees.

rooq
11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
one dodgy thing i just noticed about tha WBO rankings though...

for superfeatherweight alex authur is 3rd and kevin mitchell 4th! i can understand authur getting ranked in the top ten but I'm not sure what mitchell has done to warrant a no.4 ranking...he isn't in the top ten for any other organisation.

FeelTheA-Force
11-30-2006, 06:11 PM
one dodgy thing i just noticed about tha WBO rankings though...

for superfeatherweight alex authur is 3rd and kevin mitchell 4th! i can understand authur getting ranked in the top ten but I'm not sure what mitchell has done to warrant a no.4 ranking...he isn't in the top ten for any other organisation.

its coz mitchell defends his

IBF Inter-Continental Super Featherweight Title

it ranks him faster, i believe.

col Blake
11-30-2006, 06:30 PM

I couldnít agree more, the WBO or the Warren Boxing Organisation as like to call it, is the weak stepping stone title that boxers with any balls would give up as soon as they win one of the proper belts, Itís marginally better than the WBF and I would go on record to say that the IBO or the Dutch Disease as it was once called is fast becoming the fourth choice for Boxers out side of the UK.

!!! Beowulf !!!
11-30-2006, 07:53 PM
I couldnít agree more, the WBO or the Warren Boxing Organisation as like to call it, is the weak stepping stone title that boxers with any balls would give up as soon as they win one of the proper belts, Itís marginally better than the WBF and I would go on record to say that the IBO or the Dutch Disease as it was once called is fast becoming the fourth choice for Boxers out side of the UK.

Thats a crock of crap really. The IBO are still a fringe organisation who nobody really cares about, whereas the WBO is a fairly credible set up.

uppercut_84
12-01-2006, 07:18 AM
WBO is a real title,

Are you trying to say that Miguel Cotto was not a world champion when he defended his WBO title 5 times?

WBO Champions:

Antonio Margarito
Guzman
Calderon
Calzaghe
Jermain Taylor
Shannon Briggs
Freitas

col Blake
12-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Most of the WBO champs stay with them because they can make easy money, fighting anybody they like, none of them are ever forced to defend their tilte against the No 1 contender, and as in Eubanks case a few weeks before his fight his opponent jumps to 6th in the world, Calzaghe never fights the no 1 contender he hand picks fights that he knows he will win, that is why he was stripped of his proper belt IBF. As a Legitimate bono fide organization they expect you to have mandatory defences.

BuddyChacon
12-01-2006, 10:33 AM
I am of the opinion Barrera legitimized the WBO as a real World Title when he chose it over sanctioning bodies and defended it regularly at 122. I remember when Morrison had the title and it was reguared like the NABF Belt. Even Eubank couldn't bring the WBO legitimacy.

FeelTheA-Force
12-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Most of the WBO champs stay with them because they can make easy money, fighting anybody they like, none of them are ever forced to defend their tilte against the No 1 contender, and as in Eubanks case a few weeks before his fight his opponent jumps to 6th in the world, Calzaghe never fights the no 1 contender he hand picks fights that he knows he will win, that is why he was stripped of his proper belt IBF. As a Legitimate bono fide organization they expect you to have mandatory defences.

and by calzaghe fighting the number1 mandatory for the IBF,, who would actually give a ****? and it wouldnt generate money.

loads of ppl have saw the contender. and hes american so beating up on him will make JOE BIGGER.!!

BuddyChacon
12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
and by calzaghe fighting the number1 mandatory for the IBF,, who would actually give a ****? and it wouldnt generate money.

loads of ppl have saw the contender. and hes american so beating up on him will make JOE BIGGER.!!

More people will watch the Manfredo fight and it will make Joe more money than a mandatory would easily.

Shanus
12-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Well Joe could fight a mandatory and risk HBO dropping him, or fight Manfredo JR, get paid alot of cash and set himself up for a summer clash with Jermain Taylor.

And it doesn't matter what any of you think about the WBO, it IS a major organisation.

Flagellum Dei
12-01-2006, 08:28 PM

I agree, how can Alex Arthur be ranked 3rd by the WBO and 15th by the WBC? I bet Manfredo was ranked 431th yesterday, then announced his plans to box Calzaghe, then amazing he shot up the rankings to position number 1! WHOA! Even my postman is ranked higher than Manfredo, speaking of which didn't the WBO sanction a fight between Eubank and a postman *that says it all*!

This demonstrates the different in class between boxers in each respective organisation! Also, going back to the Warren argument *groan, not again* Arthur is attempting to fight Klassen, who is widely regarded as the weakest of the four champions! This would again demonstrate that Warren is afraid *as are most of his boxers* to fight for WBC titles!

Chups
12-02-2006, 01:35 AM
Lowest of all the major belts but surprisingly has the better champions.

phallus
12-02-2006, 02:26 AM
Lowest of all the major belts but surprisingly has the better champions.

nigel benn and lamon brewster were great champions, guys like them made the WBO belt something worth fighting for

Katz
12-02-2006, 03:43 AM
WBC
WBA
IBF
WBO <---Lowest :D

rooq
12-02-2006, 09:40 AM
I agree, how can Alex Arthur be ranked 3rd by the WBO and 15th by the WBC? I bet Manfredo was ranked 431th yesterday, then announced his plans to box Calzaghe, then amazing he shot up the rankings to position number 1! WHOA! Even my postman is ranked higher than Manfredo, speaking of which didn't the WBO sanction a fight between Eubank and a postman *that says it all*!

This demonstrates the different in class between boxers in each respective organisation! Also, going back to the Warren argument *groan, not again* Arthur is attempting to fight Klassen, who is widely regarded as the weakest of the four champions! This would again demonstrate that Warren is afraid *as are most of his boxers* to fight for WBC titles!

Alex Authur is rated 5th by the WBC. I think this fact has now invalidated your whole argument. Oh, and Klassen is an IBF champion. If he does fight for it then it'll break the Warren-WBO complex.

rooq
12-02-2006, 09:50 AM
The WBO is recognised by the WBC, WBA and IBF in that they don't rank the WBO champion, and consider someone who holds a WBO and other title to be a unified champion.

I don't think they recognise the IBO, WBF, WBU etc

Theoretically, if a boxer was given the chance to fight for the WBO or WBC titles, but would get paid more fighting for the WBO, do you really think he'd choose to fight for the WBC because it has "more prestige"?

I don't think so...it jus depends on who's available at the time and which fight will make more money.

Flagellum Dei
12-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Alex Authur is rated 5th by the WBC. I think this fact has now invalidated your whole argument. Oh, and Klassen is an IBF champion. If he does fight for it then it'll break the Warren-WBO complex.

Firstly, I checked the ratings on Thursday, who at that time had Arthur as 15th !!! Also, I knew someone would mention the Warren-WBO thing, (which is why I reiterated) thank you for falling for it, now, as I stated before Warren boxers always choose the easy fights, and more often than not, these tend to be WBO championship bouts, but on this very rare occasion, this is not true, thus Arthur decided to take on the IBF champion lol!!!

K-DOGG
12-02-2006, 06:08 PM
The WBO is the newest an most lightly regarded of all the sanctioning organizations, though the IBF and WBA are gaining ground with their incompetance. All are worthless; but if you need an example of the WBOgguss's crerdentials, just look at their track record and who their "champions" have been over the last 15 odd years.

Francesco Damiani was their inaugural Heavyweight Champion.....and he was champ at the same time as, you guessed it....Mike Tyson. Now, no real disrespect to Damiani who was actually a pretty good fighter; but if the WBO wanted any respect, wouldn't they have crowned the reigning lineal, undisputed Baddest Man on the planet?

The only reason the WBO has acquired even a modicum of respect in recent years is because the other organizations have screwed up so badly on countless occassions. So, they are gaining equal illigetimacy with the IBF, WBA, and WBC. ;)

Southpaw Stinger
12-02-2006, 06:30 PM
The WBO is the newest an most lightly regarded of all the sanctioning organizations, though the IBF and WBA are gaining ground with their incompetance. All are worthless; but if you need an example of the WBOgguss's crerdentials, just look at their track record and who their "champions" have been over the last 15 odd years.

Francesco Damiani was their inaugural Heavyweight Champion.....and he was champ at the same time as, you guessed it....Mike Tyson. Now, no real disrespect to Damiani who was actually a pretty good fighter; but if the WBO wanted any respect, wouldn't they have crowned the reigning lineal, undisputed Baddest Man on the planet?

The only reason the WBO has acquired even a modicum of respect in recent years is because the other organizations have screwed up so badly on countless occassions. So, they are gaining equal illigetimacy with the IBF, WBA, and WBC. ;)

can't argue with that.

GEOFFHAYES
12-03-2006, 05:52 AM
What about Baby Jake Matlala and Prince Naseem Hamed - two of the most popular fighters in the game?

GEOFFHAYES
12-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Duke McKenzie - three-weight world champion, who ever argued/s with that?

col Blake
12-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Baby Jake very under-rated, Dirty Arab hamed the most over rated sportsman i have ever seen, brought no Credibility to the WBO, hand picked fights, and was exposed when he tried to step up in class.

Flagellum Dei
12-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Yea, although popular, Hamed was extremely over rated. Again, people bought into the illusion/hype, just as they did with Audley and Khan of recent times. Top of the bill at only their first professional bout *i ask you*!

Hamed's only defining feature was his strength - very few people could stand up to his power! Paradoxically, this was eventually his downfall as he tried to overpower Barrera, which was simply not enough at world class level - and made hundreds of schoolboy errors! Again, Hamed was happy stay within the WBO system, making money from pay per views! Didn't The Ring list Hamed as their number 1, but refused to list his title (the WBO)! Didn't they leave his title blank - that speaks volumes!

The WBO will find it hard to gain credibility as boxing is becoming more diluted with every passing year, and yes people like Warren and partially to blame for that!

rooq
12-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Firstly, I checked the ratings on Thursday, who at that time had Arthur as 15th !!! Also, I knew someone would mention the Warren-WBO thing, (which is why I reiterated) thank you for falling for it, now, as I stated before Warren boxers always choose the easy fights, and more often than not, these tend to be WBO championship bouts, but on this very rare occasion, this is not true, thus Arthur decided to take on the IBF champion lol!!!

that was a quick rise up the WBC rankings...if thats true, don't you think that tarnishes the credibility of the WBC? i.e. a boxer climbing from 15 to 5 without having to do anything to achieve this?

i heard that klassen's manager doesn't want to defend against authur anyway because he wants to develop his fighters career in america. so if alex wants a title he will have to fight someone reputable.

Flagellum Dei
12-03-2006, 04:11 PM
that was a quick rise up the WBC rankings...if thats true, don't you think that tarnishes the credibility of the WBC? i.e. a boxer climbing from 15 to 5 without having to do anything to achieve this?

i heard that klassen's manager doesn't want to defend against authur anyway because he wants to develop his fighters career in america. so if alex wants a title he will have to fight someone reputable.

I agree! I believe Arthur would beat Klaassen, so maybe Klaassen is running scared! Moreover, as of today Arthur is ranked 13th in the IBF, so how could Klaassen justify fighting him!

Could Arthur actually beat Barrera, Valero, Guzman or Pacquiao? Maybe he could beat Barrera, as Barrera wishes to retire soon; and is not the boxer he was.

col Blake
12-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Aurthur was one of the most arrogant fighters I had seen in years, but since he was humiliated by Gomez he has turned out to be one of are best prospects as a world champ,loosing his prick attitude despite him being scotch that***8217;s right I said scotch not Scottish hopefully he will not fight for the WBO.

rooq
12-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Aurthur was one of the most arrogant fighters I had seen in years, but since he was humiliated by Gomez he has turned out to be one of are best prospects as a world champ,loosing his prick attitude despite him being scotch thatís right I said scotch not Scottish hopefully he will not fight for the WBO.

i don't know...guzman - authur could be a good fight

col Blake
12-03-2006, 04:57 PM
i don't know...guzman - authur could be a good fight
yep I would agree but after Authur has a Legitimate title then he can go on to unify the belts.

Flagellum Dei
12-04-2006, 06:35 AM
yep I would agree but after Authur has a Legitimate title then he can go on to unify the belts.

Is Arthur good enough to unify the titles? Also, due to the politics involved would he get an opportunity?

col Blake
12-04-2006, 11:47 AM
There is'nt any politics in Britain, It's Wank Warren and the WBO girls + the spineless BBBC who sanction any fight he puts forward, ie Harrison v Williams, If Wank Warren wanted to get Arthur big fights he could, Arthur should move to the states hook up with Bob Arum, Golden boy and King, he would make more money and get real respect from people who know about Pugilism.

Flagellum Dei
12-04-2006, 03:52 PM
There is'nt any politics in Britain, It's Wank Warren and the WBO girls + the spineless BBBC who sanction any fight he puts forward, ie Harrison v Williams, If Wank Warren wanted to get Arthur big fights he could, Arthur should move to the states hook up with Bob Arum, Golden boy and King, he would make more money and get real respect from people who know about Pugilism.

I agree!??!

col Blake
12-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I agree!??!
at last a person who knows what he is talking about.

Piggu
12-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Yes................

col Blake
12-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Scott Harrison has given up his title, the WBO should have stripped him months ago the WBO is a shambles of an Organisation.

LoftyDog
12-13-2006, 12:29 AM

But didn't the IBF let Zab keep his title after he lost to Baldy? That definitely undermines their legitimacy.

gangland_kingpi
12-15-2006, 11:16 AM

This isn't the first time you've disrespected a yank, what's your problem? If it wasn't for the Americans boxing wouldn't be the sport that it is. I'm English and you are a misrepresentation and an embarrassment to our great nation, so keep your fat mouth shut with regards to other members nationalities.

:boxing: :sucks:

Southpaw Stinger
12-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Scott Harrison has given up his title, the WBO should have stripped him months ago the WBO is a shambles of an Organisation.

Stripping champs is one of the downfalls of the alphabet belts I think. They could strip Taylor of all his belts but he would still remain the real Middleweight champ until he is beaten.