View Full Version : Religion

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 07:07 PM
I've been feeling strange over the last few weeks. When I was little, I used to go to church every week with primary school and I believed in God devoutely.

Then, when I started going to High school a few years back I had a serious crisis of faith and became a complete atheist. I believed the world was created by science and evolution and that when we die that was it, no heaven or anything.

Now over the past few weeks, maybe months I have been rethinking my faith in God and religion. I don't really know why because nothing major has happened. Is this normal in teenagers to have renewed faith when they start maturing?

platinummatt!
11-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Maybe god had got back into you...

platinummatt!
11-25-2006, 07:08 PM
I suppose hes always in you?

Smokin'
11-25-2006, 07:09 PM
I basically look at life as live fast, and party hard and I do not follow religion in the least bit. :)

Ta Khent
11-25-2006, 07:13 PM
In reality, the formed beings currently portrayed as both God and the Devil are creations of the human being, not vice versa. This can be shown quite simply by using as illustration the evolution of religion. Religion, as it turns out to those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, is not a divine revelation from any god person who created everything and knows all. In actuality, religion is a construct that takes centuries and millennia to complete, beginning with various perceptions of the natural and supernatural worlds around us.

The first perception we have of the "supernatural hand of God" is elemental: the wind, the heat, the cold, the light, the dark, the rain, etc. Because the elements seem to have a mind of their own, human beings love to anthropomorphize them and give them human qualities. Thus, purely atmospheric phenomena come to be viewed as expressions of a humanlike entity with a mind of its own. We ascribe personality characteristics to the various entities we build up around the elements. For example, Zeus, the Greek sky-god father-figure, takes on a thunder-and-lighting personality.

This is how religion evolves. Although religous people may oppose this notion, all religion is basically mythology built upon limited human perceptions of what is in the universe, and not upon concrete and absolute truths. Absolute truth has no form; hence, whenever God is portrayed as having form, whether human or animal, male or female, black, white or polka-dotted, it is not the Truth.

In looking at religion, you'll find around the globe is a core mythos based on atmospheric elements and planetary bodies or other natural forces with a variety of forms they take on. In places where the skin of the inhabitants is red, the god may have red skin, and where the skin is white, the god may have white skin, and so on. It is completely arbitrary and not based on actual fact.

What happens is that different groups of people--and there have been very many cultures and groups on this planet--bring their distinct interpretations of deity to each other, whether through friendly merger or violent conquest, the latter of which seems to be the norm. During this merger process, the predominant people will force their particular, ethnocentric, egocentric and gender-centric interpretation of deity upon the conquered peoples. At the same time, they will also either make the conquered deities into lesser gods, godmen, heroes or patriarchs in their own pantheon, or they will turn the conquered deity or deities into demons and devils.

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Maybe god had got back into you...

I suppose hes always in you?

Possibly. I'm just really confused.

platinummatt!
11-25-2006, 07:24 PM
I believe in God, man. Why its coming back to you now I dont know, anything happened? even a little thing

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 07:44 PM
I believe in God, man. Why its coming back to you now I dont know, anything happened? even a little thing

Nope. Nothing at all. I have just been thinking real deep lately about everything, and through it all I got my faith back it seems.

platinummatt!
11-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Cool, thats really good

Smokin'
11-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Think about this: What has religion ever done for you?

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Think about this: What has religion ever done for you?

Why does it have to do something for me though just for me to believe in it?
There have been many times when I have prayed to God in times of difficulty, and I've got through them. Is that religion? Or is it just perseverance. It can be argued.

Remeber, faith is believing what you can't see.

platinummatt!
11-25-2006, 07:53 PM
I love god man, as long as I have him

platinummatt!
11-25-2006, 07:53 PM
its all good aslong as I got him

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 07:57 PM
its all good aslong as I got him

But how do you know you have him?

Ta Khent
11-25-2006, 08:07 PM
But how do you know you have him?

He perceives to have it, but in actuality, he doesn't. He creates the illusion of having it in his mind.

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 08:16 PM
He perceives to have it, but in actuality, he doesn't. He creates the illusion of having it in his mind.

I take it you don't believe in God?

Ta Khent
11-25-2006, 08:22 PM
I take it you don't believe in God?

Not the God you speak of. I believe in a higher power, however, I believe that higher power cannot be accessed outside of me but rather inside of me.

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Not the God you speak of. I believe in a higher power, however, I believe that higher power cannot be accessed outside of me but rather inside of me.

Ok. So is the God you talk of inspiration, something that pushes you beyond your means?

Smokin'
11-25-2006, 08:28 PM
In my mind there is a higher power in life that's no question but you can't wander through life thinking praying to God is going to make you a better person and get through your problems. It's all up to you and there are not many winners in life, but many losers.

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 08:31 PM
In my mind there is a higher power in life that's no question but you can't wander through life thinking praying to God is going to make you a better person and get through your problems. It's all up to you and there are not many winners in life, but many losers.

Exactly. Wise words. People only believe in God so he can do things for them, but that's not how it works. You have to be there for him too.

I believe in a higher power and think there is more purpose to life than just living, but I can't explain any of it.

Smokin'
11-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Exactly. Wise words. People only believe in God so he can do things for them, but that's not how it works. You have to be there for him too.

I believe in a higher power and think there is more purpose to life than just living, but I can't explain any of it.

Think about the times you prayed to God for material goods or something like that...and what happened? You either didn't get what you want or God forced you into a position where your inner strength and inner self made you come through with what you wanted. True ****. Just think 'bout it.

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Think about the times you prayed to God for material goods or something like that...and what happened? You either didn't get what you want or God forced you into a position where your inner strength and inner self made you come through with what you wanted. True ****. Just think 'bout it.

Yep it's all true. God won't provide you with the item, but maybe push you to work for it.

I think it's naive to ask God for material goods anyway.

phallus
11-25-2006, 08:45 PM
there are not many winners in life, but many losers.

this is exactly the reason i believe in God

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 08:46 PM

But you can't rely on God to make you a winner, can you?

phallus
11-25-2006, 08:50 PM
But you can't rely on God to make you a winner, can you?

i never said that, i meant God is kind to the losers, and when u think about it, we're all losers

Smokin'
11-25-2006, 08:50 PM

explain yourself, filthy man.

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 08:52 PM
i never said that, i meant God is kind to the losers, and when u think about it, we're all losers

I don't really understand what you're trying to say.

phallus
11-25-2006, 08:53 PM
explain yourself, filthy man.

lamon brewster's faith was a source of strength when he fought big bad wlad. i mean that God is a source of strength to the losers

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 08:55 PM
lamon brewster's faith was a source of strength when he fought big bad wlad. i mean that God is a source of strength to the losers

Oh I get you now.

You see God as your inspiration in life.

phallus
11-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Oh I get you now.

You see God as your inspiration in life.

u have to have something else outside of yourself, when the **** gets heavy u find out u can't do it all on your own

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 09:00 PM
u have to have something else outside of yourself, when the **** gets heavy u find out u can't do it all on your own

That's the reason most people have faith in God. For the difficult times.

The Noose
11-25-2006, 09:24 PM
I guess it makes sense to believe in a higher power that u can call on in times of need.
It can be very easy to doubt what u are capable of. Even if u believe in inner strength. But if u believe in a god that cannot be doubted, or has no weaknesses, than u have a constant source of 'power' that u totally trust in, and is always there for u.

On the other hand u can believe that wen u find urself in a real low point in life, that it is all in gods great plan. And that he will eventually help u out of it. The trouble with that, is that it could be tempting to just wait for things to change, and its possible they never will. Some belive god rewards the ones who suffer in the afterlife. But it can stop them from being pro-active in this life.

All depends how u see things.

The Raging Bull
11-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I guess it makes sense to believe in a higher power that u can call on in times of need.
It can be very easy to doubt what u are capable of. Even if u believe in inner strength. But if u believe in a god that cannot be doubted, or has no weaknesses, than u have a constant source of 'power' that u totally trust in, and is always there for u.

On the other hand u can believe that wen u find urself in a real low point in life, that it is all in gods great plan. And that he will eventually help u out of it. The trouble with that, is that it could be tempting to just wait for things to change, and its possible they never will. Some belive god rewards the ones who suffer in the afterlife. But it can stop them from being pro-active in this life.

So is God just a word that people need to rely on in times of need? Like a shoulder to cry on?

phallus
11-25-2006, 09:29 PM

i've been in situations where i had no chance, where i should have been ****ed for life and things still turned in my favor... if anything, that's what makes me believe. i know how weak and powerless an individual human is on their own

Smokin'
11-25-2006, 09:30 PM
God is a real power but you need to do **** yourselves and God will aid you in that process and teach you life lessons along the way.

Think about it for a second...haven't you noticed that whenever you're working the hardest at a certain goal that you just start having mad luck as a result? That is God working hand in hand with you...in my opinion.

Smokin'
11-25-2006, 09:30 PM
i've been in situations where i had no chance, where i should have been ****ed for life and things still turned in my favor... if anything, that's what makes me believe. i know how weak and powerless an individual human is on their own

let's hear em bro....

The Noose
11-25-2006, 09:45 PM
I dont believe in a god. And for me, wen i need that extra help or strength to make it through it comes down to do or die. I think of family and friends and they give me the strength to get the **** up and stop being a twat.
I imagine how if i gave in and fell apart, how my friends and family would remember me, or think of me, and how it would effect them. It puts things in percpective to see things from other peoples point of view.

The Noose
11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
So is God just a word that people need to rely on in times of need? Like a shoulder to cry on?

Id say it is a state of mind.
Im not debating whether god is real or not, just how it is ultimatly up to u what u do with ur belief in god.

phallus
11-25-2006, 09:53 PM
I dont believe in a god. And for me, wen i need that extra help or strength to make it through it comes down to do or die. I think of family and friends and they give me the strength to get the **** up and stop being a twat.
I imagine how if i gave in and fell apart, how my friends and family would remember me, or think of me, and how it would effect them. It puts things in percpective to see things from other peoples point of view.

very well said. i can appreciate this even, though my family isn't like that.

when i was a kid i learned pretty fast i had to go through everything on my own. if i went to my dad with my problems, he'd really give me something to cry about

Ta Khent
11-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Ok. So is the God you talk of inspiration, something that pushes you beyond your means?

The God I speak of is the creative life force that dwells within every living being. It is omnipresent and omnipresense has no spokesperson. Therefore, it is absolutely impossible for it to be absent from someplace. The creator is the aspect of the mind that allows for creativity. It is the mechanism by which the universe creates life and perpetuates itself. The Creator has no gender, no form and no race or ethnicity. God cannot have any form whatsoever. It is not a human being. Knowing God as the creative life force behind all creation, is the ultimate freedom of perspective. It is only in the knowing, however, and not the believing, that this freedom of perspective comes into being.

The belief that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to and the love for myself and my family is what drives me.

K-DOGG
11-26-2006, 11:52 AM
The God I speak of is the creative life force that dwells within every living being. It is omnipresent and omnipresense has no spokesperson. Therefore, it is absolutely impossible for it to be absent from someplace. The creator is the aspect of the mind that allows for creativity. It is the mechanism by which the universe creates life and perpetuates itself. The Creator has no gender, no form and no race or ethnicity. God cannot have any form whatsoever. It is not a human being. Knowing God as the creative life force behind all creation, is the ultimate freedom of perspective. It is only in the knowing, however, and not the believing, that this freedom of perspective comes into being.

The belief that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to and the love for myself and my family is what drives me.

Great Post....and more or less how I see "God".

K-DOGG
11-26-2006, 12:04 PM
In reality, the formed beings currently portrayed as both God and the Devil are creations of the human being, not vice versa. This can be shown quite simply by using as illustration the evolution of religion. Religion, as it turns out to those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, is not a divine revelation from any god person who created everything and knows all. In actuality, religion is a construct that takes centuries and millennia to complete, beginning with various perceptions of the natural and supernatural worlds around us.

The first perception we have of the "supernatural hand of God" is elemental: the wind, the heat, the cold, the light, the dark, the rain, etc. Because the elements seem to have a mind of their own, human beings love to anthropomorphize them and give them human qualities. Thus, purely atmospheric phenomena come to be viewed as expressions of a humanlike entity with a mind of its own. We ascribe personality characteristics to the various entities we build up around the elements. For example, Zeus, the Greek sky-god father-figure, takes on a thunder-and-lighting personality.

This is how religion evolves. Although religous people may oppose this notion, all religion is basically mythology built upon limited human perceptions of what is in the universe, and not upon concrete and absolute truths. Absolute truth has no form; hence, whenever God is portrayed as having form, whether human or animal, male or female, black, white or polka-dotted, it is not the Truth.

In looking at religion, you'll find around the globe is a core mythos based on atmospheric elements and planetary bodies or other natural forces with a variety of forms they take on. In places where the skin of the inhabitants is red, the god may have red skin, and where the skin is white, the god may have white skin, and so on. It is completely arbitrary and not based on actual fact.

What happens is that different groups of people--and there have been very many cultures and groups on this planet--bring their distinct interpretations of deity to each other, whether through friendly merger or violent conquest, the latter of which seems to be the norm. During this merger process, the predominant people will force their particular, ethnocentric, egocentric and gender-centric interpretation of deity upon the conquered peoples. At the same time, they will also either make the conquered deities into lesser gods, godmen, heroes or patriarchs in their own pantheon, or they will turn the conquered deity or deities into demons and devils.

With the exception of the part I emboldened, there is no falsehood in this post. And that's not saying what I emboldened was false as much as that part is opinion whereas the rest of this can be proven and traced.

If "God", is in each and every one of us, as I believe he/she is, then why wouldn't the one unifying force within us all, as I believe "God" is, want to occasionally steer us, or stir us to help make us aware of our true nature.

As far as the Devil is concerned, I have no reason to believe that some center of "evil" must exist. Yin/Yang represent two extremes, if I am not mistaken, so if "God" is the center of all that is good, then there must be a center for all that is evil.....at least that's my logic. No, I agree that horned individual or any "image" we concoct is for our own benefit. I do not profess to understand the nature of the "supernatual" or the "metaphysiscal"; but I do believe they exist.

This, I suppose, is where you and I differ, my friend. I believe God was...and possibly we were before time and this reality is just a journey, or a tangent that we must take so as to get back to our main course, which is eternal.

Ta Khent
11-26-2006, 12:22 PM
With the exception of the part I emboldened, there is no falsehood in this post. And that's not saying what I emboldened was false as much as that part is opinion whereas the rest of this can be proven and traced.

If "God", is in each and every one of us, as I believe he/she is, then why wouldn't the one unifying force within us all, as I believe "God" is, want to occasionally steer us, or stir us to help make us aware of our true nature.

As far as the Devil is concerned, I have no reason to believe that some center of "evil" must exist. Yin/Yang represent two extremes, if I am not mistaken, so if "God" is the center of all that is good, then there must be a center for all that is evil.....at least that's my logic. No, I agree that horned individual or any "image" we concoct is for our own benefit. I do not profess to understand the nature of the "supernatual" or the "metaphysiscal"; but I do believe they exist.

This, I suppose, is where you and I differ, my friend. I believe God was...and possibly we were before time and this reality is just a journey, or a tangent that we must take so as to get back to our main course, which is eternal.

Great post my friend. You and I are not very far apart in what we believe. This is what I think...If everyting came from one source (i.e. God), then evil must have come from that source as well.

K-DOGG
11-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Great post my friend. You and I are not very far apart in what we believe. This is what I think...If everyting came from one source (i.e. God), then evil must have come from that source as well.

That is logical; but here's the way I've come to think of "evil". Suppose, just suppose there was this great entitiy which embodied "God", the center, and we "souls" as parts of the whole.

What is to say "evil" is not some kind of "virus" per say; something to be purged from the entire entity?

However, evil coming from the same "original" source is only logical.

The Noose
11-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Somones starting to sound a wee bit like Doctor Spock! lol

interesting stuff.

more.

Oasis_Lad
11-26-2006, 08:28 PM
im not sure on this

but wasn't the first religion based on the beliefs that there were 2 gods
one bad and one evil and that they have equal power

this would explain why if god was in us all that we can never be rid of evil seeing as it is equal in power to good

rageinme
01-10-2007, 04:41 AM
Jesus Is Real And Alive And Loves Us All

MMU
01-14-2007, 07:04 AM
i was roaming around looking for interesting thread and i found one. Great discussion guys..keep coming.

CoLd_WaVE
01-24-2007, 04:17 AM
religions are downright unreliable... no religion is perfect, after all they are just manmade...

abdiel2k3
01-24-2007, 05:31 AM
too much bad in this world
and too much of it happenin to good people
i just dont think theres a god
yet i say that with a hesitance
cuz its been so ingrained in us that he does exist
and i guess we all do kinda fear his wrath
but back to my main point
he isnt a very good god if he does exist
and i say it loud and mean it
when i say
if i ever do meet god
i swear im gonna ripem with the sickest left hook even he could have imagined
he knows where im comin from

MANGLER
12-25-2009, 04:46 AM
I've been feeling strange over the last few weeks. When I was little, I used to go to church every week with primary school and I believed in God devoutely.

Then, when I started going to High school a few years back I had a serious crisis of faith and became a complete atheist. I believed the world was created by science and evolution and that when we die that was it, no heaven or anything.

Now over the past few weeks, maybe months I have been rethinking my faith in God and religion. I don't really know why because nothing major has happened. Is this normal in teenagers to have renewed faith when they start maturing?

Same **** happened to me. Early church life, believed in God/afterlife, fell off that **** when I got older. Never really reconsidered it tho.

frankenfrank
08-05-2010, 06:54 AM

Don't worry , no god , never was , and could not have been or ever be , what you described is the correct way of thinking , the truth .

"Gawd" is the laws of physics (if there are) and mathematics (which there are)

ALAXAN_FR
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Adolescense sure does crazy things to your brain. With the comming of age and stuff as you realize the world around you, how the machinery works and how it sucks Big Time!... Confusion sets in as you find your niche in the world.... then when you're up and about the world doing your own thing now... it comes back to hunt you... whatever decision you've made then becomes a cacophony of X-O-X... right minus wrong....

That is why religion plays a vital role in our lives... its a balance to the otherwise material jungle we all have to survive... whatever penchant on faith you prefer... it all still comes down to belief in something physically non-existent to help you guide your morals...

You'll find your answer soon enough... its better to find someone to talk it over with (not read it over with). Finding a kindred spirit who've gone to the same dilemma is the surefire way.... why? coz he/she'll understand...