View Full Version : what's it like for you?

* FeistyWench *
11-05-2006, 03:32 PM
so many people have dysfunctional families, i am wondering if the Thanksgiving dinners (as are often portrayed on television) with the whole extended family togetherness-thing really exists???

what are your thanksgivings usually like? is it a big deal or is it just eating a turkey meal with whoever is around???

platinummatt!
11-05-2006, 03:37 PM
We dotn have thanksgiving. But at christmas we have a turkey with me my mum and dad, and last year when my brother was here with him also. It sounds a bit weird the wya you said it "with whoever is around" So what theres just you and a turkey and maybe a few people offer to join you somberly

BrooklynBomber
11-05-2006, 03:39 PM
so many people have dysfunctional families, i am wondering if the Thanksgiving dinners (as are often portrayed on television) with the whole extended family togetherness-thing really exists???

what are your thanksgivings usually like? is it a big deal or is it just eating a turkey meal with whoever is around???

I really dunno, I dont really keep in touch with my uncles and aunts, but I see my cousins very often.

* FeistyWench *
11-05-2006, 03:42 PM
We dotn have thanksgiving. But at christmas we have a turkey with me my mum and dad, and last year when my brother was here with him also. It sounds a bit weird the wya you said it "with whoever is around" So what theres just you and a turkey and maybe a few people offer to join you somberly

lol! what i meant is it a huge family gathering (with friedns, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc.) or usually just your immediate family (who you live with).

BrooklynBomber
11-05-2006, 03:43 PM
lol! what i meant is it a huge family gathering (with friedns, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc.) or usually just your immediate family (who you live with).

For me its usually me and my parents........................

Oasis_Lad
11-05-2006, 03:44 PM

we get pissed and have punch ups usually

platinummatt!
11-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Oh right well on christmas day, just immediate family. On boxing day which is the day after which I dont think you have. Then we all meet up all the family on my mums side

THE REAL NINJA
11-05-2006, 05:29 PM
We had all the family meet for x-mas at an aunts house when i was a kid but other then that no [edit; all 10 or so of us that live out here]. Most of my fam lives in Cali so it's kinda hard :banana: .

Southpaw Stinger
11-05-2006, 05:32 PM
don't have that thanksgiving thingy over here, but at christmas I lock myself indoors all day and bask in the glory of all the films they repeat on tv! At night I get pissed and streak through the neighbhours gardens and wake up on my doorstep the next day.

The Noose
11-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Christmas day dinner would be immediate family, and in the evening a whole bunch of family would come over with lots of kids.
Wen i was young it was great, the house was packed.

Now its very quiet, and quite dull.
But wen it was good, it was very good. Although i am too young to remember the 70's xmas parties, but the photos make things look amazing.

Wen it was bad there would be tears and arguments. That was the 90's.
We are/were as dysfunctional as many families.
Now we hope no one visits. Not really a good reflection on things is it.

LoftyDog
11-05-2006, 07:57 PM
I usually go over my great aunts for thanksgiving and theres like 10-15 other family members over. It's usually civilized, so its not really like the movies. Christmas is when I see more of my family but even then its nothing crazy. My parents are getting divorced so now its just a little awkward.

.::EnRiQuE::.
11-05-2006, 11:55 PM
almost everyone in my house works on thanksgiving....i do as well. so we sorta just do our own thang

11-11-2006, 08:56 AM
This might come as a shock....but I have a seriously disfunctional family.

I got a cousin that can't figure out whether she likes guys or girls. She always shows up with a different flavor every year.

I have another cousin who is just scum and can't figure out that she needs to stop having kids because she can't take care of the ones she has.

I got an aunt and uncle that walk around with their noses in the air like their **** don't stink. They walk around acting like they have money but they live in a mobil home plugged up to their daughters house.

Badblood is married to one of my other cousins. That should say enough right there.

Of course we have the family drunk. But he is probably the coolest out of them all.

I could go on and on about my family.

But we do have a lot of fun when we get together. If we can keep all aunts from trying to compete and bickering with each other.

Scottie2Hottie
11-11-2006, 04:08 PM
my thanksgiving is always a choreographed "we're such a good family" thing on my dad's side. we all act like the brady bunch, even though we're nuts.

my mom's side of the family is non existant, its me, her, her mom, my stepdad, and my brother and sister. me and my sister get wasted and have hilarious conversation, and its usually a good time. my mom's a damn good cook.

Dr.Depravity
11-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanksgiving I spend at my in-laws. Pretty normal people really. I just sit around and drink beer watching football until its time to eat.
Now Christmas can get interesting. I also have an uncle who is always drunk. And I mean always. Either that or stoned or both. He can get a temper on him too. One year he slapped another uncle of mine (by marriage). I missed it thought. :owned:

neils7147933
11-12-2006, 11:50 PM
I have a brother in Missouri who isn't coming home for Thanksgiving. My brother has to work - he's a cop. My kids will be spending the day with their mother and stepfather. In the afternoon, my girlfriend's kids who live with me will go to their fathers' houses for the holiday weekend.

My sister, mom and dad, grandparents, her grandma, her parents, and her brother will have Thanksgiving here for one "big meal". Some of them haven't met yet...

Exige Jr
11-13-2006, 05:59 AM
I have a brother in Missouri who isn't coming home for Thanksgiving. My brother has to work - he's a cop. My kids will be spending the day with their mother and stepfather. In the afternoon, my girlfriend's kids who live with me will go to their fathers' houses for the holiday weekend.

My sister, mom and dad, grandparents, her grandma, her parents, and her brother will have Thanksgiving here for one "big meal". Some of them haven't met yet...
And then you'll come and post on the Scene. :D

Like everyone else said, we dont have thanksgiving here but at Christmas it's pretty normal. Recently, in fact, it has died down a lot. My family has had a few disagreements and the whole arangement has changed really. Now it's just the immediate family who then meet the rest of the family on New Years or never at all. LOL!

In the 90s we had the best christmas's ever. I remember at least one white christmas from the 90s and every single year we used to have the whole family down other than my dad's side who were kinda seperate from us but not through hostility. My dad would visit us first and then go and visit them after or on another day.

My cousin is about the only one in my family who is my age, so me and him always just messed about like kids do. Then I have a few cousins who are a bit older than me but act young... like late 20s and still clubbin', DJ'in etc so they were always kool.

My family is great when they all get together, I think it was only within the last 5 years that we had a christmas where an argument broke out and it just killed the whole event. Was really sad.

Oh another thing I remember, always wearing a suit on Christmas. Even from like 6 I wore a suit and my sister wore a dress that we never touched for the whole year up until that point. Then we got older and it was straight in with the Adidas bottoms etc :D

Anyways, enough of my life.

jason100x
11-13-2006, 11:44 AM
My parents will come down and visit me and we'll go out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. There's been no traditional large family gathering with a turkey for many years in my family. Most of the larger family has fallen out of contact.

K-DOGG
11-13-2006, 04:08 PM

I can honestly say I grew up in "americana". It was only after my father died 13 years ago that various rifts in the family began to surface....the extended family: aunts, uncles, cousins, and such. Such was the nature of my dad; he held things together.

Thanksgivings now usually take place at my sister and brother-in-law's house, seeing as how she's the best cook in the family. My other sister, my mom, my grandmother, and my wife and I attend.....and we all have a really good time, eating really good food: turkey, chicken-n-dumplings, cranberry sauce, hashbrown casserole, etc....with chocolate, custard, coconut-cream pies and banana puddiing for desert, usually.

Hardly anyone wants to go home. :)

Smokin'
11-13-2006, 04:18 PM
My thanksgiving is just me and my immediate family but Christmas is a big event....we get the whole gang together (well basically just my moms side) because my Dad's side is way too disfunctional. Lemme think about this for a second...my dad was the oldest and was the only one who didn't end up either
a) alcoholic
b) Jehova's Witness
c) gold digger
d) pot smoker into his late 40s, lol
...or all of the above.

BuddyChacon
11-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I still have a traditional family dinner at my house. Turkey, Ham and the whole family. We even have Easter dinner at my house with the whole family. Even though my parents are divorced my dad does come and used to come with his wife. Strange Situation.

phallus
11-13-2006, 06:54 PM
This might come as a shock....but I have a seriously disfunctional family.

I got an aunt and uncle that walk around with their noses in the air like their **** don't stink. They walk around acting like they have money but they live in a mobil home plugged up to their daughters house.

Of course we have the family drunk. But he is probably the coolest out of them all.

i too come from a very dysfunctional family...who would have guessed? my dad is quasi - famous in canada, but my family is more messed up than the norm. the most ****ed up people in my family are the biggest snobs. i am the family drunk, the one everybody is ashamed of ( there's another reason for this, but it's a long story)...when the family gets together i usually get wasted because it;s the only way i can deal with all of them and their condescending attitudes. ironically i don't drink much at any other times, though i used to

11-13-2006, 08:15 PM
i too come from a very dysfunctional family...who would have guessed? my dad is quasi - famous in canada, but my family is more messed up than the norm. the most ****ed up people in my family are the biggest snobs. i am the family drunk, the one everybody is ashamed of ( there's another reason for this, but it's a long story)...when the family gets together i usually get wasted because it;s the only way i can deal with all of them and their condescending attitudes. ironically i don't drink much at any other times, though i used to

I usually smoke a bunch of pot, eat and watch football. Maybe throw a game of horse shoes.

phallus
11-13-2006, 08:20 PM
I usually smoke a bunch of pot, eat and watch football. Maybe throw a game of horse shoes.

u a Saints fan? i am, since i was a kid i've always liked the Saints...i think if i'm ever down in florida we should go to good sports lounge and have a couple beers

11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
u a Saints fan? i am, since i was a kid i've always liked the Saints...i think if i'm ever down in florida we should go to good sports lounge and have a couple beers

The Saints are all right. I live in North Carolina now. But if you ever come to Charlotte gimme a shout.

phallus
11-13-2006, 09:44 PM
The Saints are all right. I live in North Carolina now. But if you ever come to Charlotte gimme a shout.

u got it, dude

Dr.Depravity
11-13-2006, 11:21 PM
7001 and Dr. Filth, your both always welcome to have Thanksgiving with Sho-Nuff. :grouphug:

Ok I didn't know the group hug thing would look so gay. ignore it.

phallus
11-13-2006, 11:23 PM
7001 and Dr. Filth, your both always welcome to have Thanksgiving with Sho-Nuff. :grouphug:

Ok I didn't know the group hug thing would look so gay. ignore it.

grouphug, or circle jerk? :bukkake:

i think if we all have thanksgiving dinner together we should head straight to the strippers after

Dr.Depravity
11-13-2006, 11:30 PM
grouphug, or circle jerk? :bukkake:

i think if we all have thanksgiving dinner together we should head straight to the strippers after

Im on a first name basis with the owner of the TOP HAT. Nice little shaker joint.

MANGLER
12-28-2009, 03:24 AM

Mine are just fine. No dysfunction, nobody ostracized, no drama. It's one of the best times cuz it's a rare occasion everybody from every city or state congregates wit the fam.