View Full Version : The guard to the mount

Kimura
12-04-2002, 12:03 PM
I need to release the guard for a second in order to bridge my opponent over for the mount. I rarely wind up on my back but when I do, I find it almost impossible to roll over the guy on top while still in the guard. This is not a technique I recommend to guys who don't rely at all on strength, but I find that letting go of the guard and pushing off with the foot is the best roll over technique for me.

momita
12-04-2002, 04:41 PM
While you're pushing off with the foot, doesn't that give them a chance to grab you in a Achilles lock?

DOGGx0
12-04-2002, 06:10 PM
i would think so, flame.

you can't let too mucb space in between or else you will give them room for a submission as well as yourself. if u are both fighting for it, then it becomes who is quicker.

VulgarTheClown
12-04-2002, 06:23 PM
when i have guard and trying to roll the guy wheni open my guard op tp bridge i trap the arm on the side i roll to.

unless they are really concentrating on the leg i don't relly thin they are gonan grab the lock more likely try to maintain position.

but thats just my experience.

if you really wanna roll them I always use elevator sweeps (to the side not overhead).

James Fulton
12-04-2002, 08:27 PM
Watch the sweep Newton hits on Hughes in their first fight. If that's the one your talking about, I don't think there's too much chance for a footlock if done correctly.

wondermut
12-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Exactly James. I was just thinking that.

Kimura
12-04-2002, 10:49 PM
[quote:12159e9e0f="flame resistant"]While you're pushing off with the foot, doesn't that give them a chance to grab you in a Achilles lock?[/quote:12159e9e0f]Not if you're quick!

seldomTap
12-05-2002, 01:15 AM
Go to one side of your opponent and claim the arm, as if you are going for a kimura, then you will be able to roll him a lot easier onto his back if you have a good leg position, with minimal chance of getting ankle locked