View Full Version : Calzaghe vs Lacy

elveiel
10-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Just watched Lacy beating Vanderpool and i'm a lot more impressed than the last time i watched him!

Lacy is a little on the slow side and Calzaghe's combo's and hand speed could be too much for him but we all know Joe's wild and can be open to counters, Lacy packs a big enough punch to KO him!!

I'd pick Calzaghe to win by late stoppage but i wouldnt be suprised if Lacy Stops Calzaghe either! I think Warrens confident Calzaghe will beat Lacy so it should happen!

Good fight.

barryboy
10-09-2004, 07:14 AM
I saw on teletext Calzaghe saying "I hope the fight comes off but i think it may be 12 months away yet"
The 32 year old Calzaghe still hopes to land a light heavyweight title shot.

Looks like that fight's out the window then :rolleyes:

elveiel
10-09-2004, 07:19 AM
I saw on teletext Calzaghe saying "I hope the fight comes off but i think it may be 12 months away yet"
The 32 year old Calzaghe still hopes to land a light heavyweight title shot.

Looks like that fight's out the window then :rolleyes:

If Calzaghe stays at supper middle he should take him out now, but i'd rather see him go up to light heavy and fight Tarver&Johnson because Lacy and Green are just as risky without the rewards.

barryboy
10-09-2004, 07:28 AM
I'd rather see him fight those two guys as well, more credit if you beat the light heavyweights and as you say Lacy & Green are dangerous opponents for little reward (though the IBF title would be something!)

elveiel
10-09-2004, 07:45 AM
I'd rather see him fight those two guys as well, more credit if you beat the light heavyweights and as you say Lacy & Green are dangerous opponents for little reward (though the IBF title would be something!)

The titles are well worth having, but i personally think Sven Ottke has taken a little bit of shine away from the IBF super middle weight title, Joe could have taken that title away from him like taking candy from a baby.

Joe's considered number 1 without a risky title challenge anyway but i'm sure he'd rather show his grandkids a picture of him holding the IBF rather than the WBO.

barryboy
10-09-2004, 07:56 AM
I hate these marking time defences like the one Calzaghe's having this month, o.k. it's a pay day but imo a waste of time training etc. when he could or should be fighting top class guys all the time (you know what i mean) instead he's fighting guys we don't know so it's hard to give him any credit, it's very similar to the Hatton situation, I think they're both top guys but I just wish they'd step up the competition on a regular basis and not 1 good opponent then the next 2 are **** type of situation, as we said before the fights with Lacy & Green would be great for us to watch but as far as being the defining fight that Calzaghe wants they don't fit the bill, he's already had his chance to fight Johnson but was too busy playing with his own, Tarver should be fighting Briggs so I can see another couple of these WBO defences to come yet.

elveiel
10-09-2004, 09:14 AM
I hate these marking time defences like the one Calzaghe's having this month, o.k. it's a pay day but imo a waste of time training etc. when he could or should be fighting top class guys all the time (you know what i mean) instead he's fighting guys we don't know so it's hard to give him any credit, it's very similar to the Hatton situation, I think they're both top guys but I just wish they'd step up the competition on a regular basis and not 1 good opponent then the next 2 are **** type of situation, as we said before the fights with Lacy & Green would be great for us to watch but as far as being the defining fight that Calzaghe wants they don't fit the bill, he's already had his chance to fight Johnson but was too busy playing with his own, Tarver should be fighting Briggs so I can see another couple of these WBO defences to come yet.

I think fighters should take easier fights to keep fit, the tops guys should fight a big fight every other fight because its too tough to be in a war everytime. Shame Calzaghe and Hatton are fighting harder fights 1 in 5! ha ha!

LuKahnLi
10-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I WOULD like to see Calzaghe fight somebody. I would give him credit for fighting Lacy.

jgisbc
02-12-2006, 02:27 PM
are you guys from the uk or something? you think it's a given that lacy is going to loose, not to many people have that thought about the fight. i think lacy will knock him out in 7. is that american biased?

medium-deek
02-12-2006, 02:38 PM
are you guys from the uk or something? you think it's a given that lacy is going to loose, not to many people have that thought about the fight. i think lacy will knock him out in 7. is that american biased?

Nah. It aint bias. Lacy is a fantastic prospect and yanks have every right to think he will win. But I dont.

Manfredo Jr
02-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Nah. It aint bias. Lacy is a fantastic prospect and yanks have every right to think he will win. But I dont.
i hope your ready to lose 50 mill then :p

supaduck
02-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I think Calzaghe 6 years ago would beat the lacy of today, im not sure about the Calzaghe now; that's what makes the fight interesting

medium-deek
02-12-2006, 06:05 PM
i hope your ready to lose 50 mill then :p

I've never lost a bet on BS and I dont intend to start now. Calzaghe all the way. ;)

strongisland24
02-12-2006, 10:07 PM
calzaghe slaps his punches. no one at 168 can beat lacy right now. he's too overpowering at 168. i just can't wait for lacy v tarver when lacy takes antonio out.

Kimmy
02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
I've never lost a bet on BS and I dont intend to start now. Calzaghe all the way. ;)
I agree. Calzaghe has been bored, dis - interested in the sport and so fourth. However, Lacy presents the challenge he has always wanted. I don't see Calzaghe winning, i see Calzaghe dominanting!

supaduck
02-13-2006, 01:11 PM
The only real advantage of Lacy's I can see is his power.. But then, I suppose power is a big thing.

medium-deek
02-13-2006, 01:56 PM
calzaghe slaps his punches. no one at 168 can beat lacy right now. he's too overpowering at 168. i just can't wait for lacy v tarver when lacy takes antonio out.

You are right, they do look like slaps. But if thats what you call a slap, then I wanna slap like that!!

JuicyJuice
02-16-2006, 01:23 AM
You are right, they do look like slaps. But if thats what you call a slap, then I wanna slap like that!!
Yep, if those slaps could give me 40 straight wins then please let me have them!

gcropper
05-25-2006, 04:55 PM
this is another funy thread lol britian all the way

K-DOGG
05-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Just wanted to drop a line to my Boxing Bretheren in Britain....Congrats to your man Calzaghe. The Lacy fight was a thing of beauty and as finely executed a display of the sweet science as I've ever personally laid eyes on.

From a Yank who appreciates artistry when he sees is,

Cheers.