View Full Version : Marciano vs Frazier: Who had the better chin?

Yaman
08-30-2006, 03:27 PM
I always thought their chins were somewhat confusing. I think they had more heart than granite up there :)

Who do you pick?

The Noose
08-30-2006, 04:03 PM
This is a no brainer IMO.
Marciano.

Southpaw Stinger
08-30-2006, 04:19 PM
It's hard to say. I'll give the nod to Frazier only because he faced the harder punchers and took vast amounts of punishment in fights like Manila and he stayed on his feet. As long as you don't take the Foreman fight to asses Frazier's chin then the argument can be made for both fighters.

Dempsey 1919
08-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Marciano.

Frazier.

Yaman
08-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Fraziers chin is overrated. He just had so much heart. Thats the reason why he stayed on his feet after brutal beatings. He was in dreamland a lot of times.

Marciano on the other hand has not really been hurt that much in his career. But he did not fight heavy hitters like Frazier did.

Dempsey 1919
08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
But he did not fight heavy hitters like Frazier did.

That's the key thing. That's why frazier's chin was better.

Yaman
08-31-2006, 11:10 AM
That's the key thing. That's why frazier's chin was better.

But Frazier was knocked the **** around like a rag doll. Nobody that gets it like that is granite.
And we do not know if Marciano would take better flush shots than Frazier. You dont either. Thats why this is a close poll.

Dempsey 1919
08-31-2006, 11:14 AM
But Frazier was knocked the **** around like a rag doll. Nobody that gets it like that is granite.
And we do not know if Marciano would take better flush shots than Frazier. You dont either. Thats why this is a close poll.

Only one person did that to Frazier, and he is the hardest puncher in boxing history, :rolleyes:

Yaman
08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Only one person did that to Frazier, and he is the hardest puncher in boxing history, :rolleyes:

Shavers is the hardest puncher.
And Frazier just didnt have a GREAT chin. Thats it. Just accept it mr ''frazier has a top 3 chin of all time'' :rolleyes:

Dempsey 1919
08-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Shavers is the hardest puncher.
And Frazier just didnt have a GREAT chin. Thats it. Just accept it mr ''frazier has a top 3 chin of all time'' :rolleyes:

i didn't say it was top3. If I did, then I don't think so anymore.

hemichromis
08-31-2006, 03:33 PM
marciano had the better chin but it is true that frasier faced foreman one of the worst fighters fo a swarmer to face and one of the hardest punchers if maricano faced foreman i would expect it to go a similar way. Frasiers chin may not have been as tought but he had so much more heart than any boxer in hisotry! he would never quit thats what makes him great IMO

La_Vibora
09-01-2006, 02:14 AM
Well its tough to say who had the better chin, I mean Rocky for one had a very very underrated defense, I mean even Ali in their "computer fight" told Dundee that Marciano was very hard to hit so it was very tough to get a clean punch on Rocky. Rocky faced some good punchers though like Jersey Joe Walcott and Archie Moore (who has 132 KOs on his record btw), and I saw Rocky take shots from these guys that would have KOed any other man. On the other hand, Joe Frazier took some very serious shots against a fighter in Foreman, that even great punchers like Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis said they had never seen a fighter being as strong as, so you would have to sort of give Frazier the edge in that regard. However, who knows how Rocky would have handled George's power either, although I suspect Rocky's style would have been difficult to beat George, but who knows. With all that said, I would probably call it even.

SuzieQ49
10-07-2006, 11:40 PM
people think marciano faced feather fisted fighters..........jersey joe walcott, joe louis, archie moore, rex layne, big bill wilson, carmine vingo were all very hard punchers rocky faced.

louis was still heavy handed and big 215lb.....he could still wack. check out his one punch KO of the very durable lee savold in 1951.

SuzieQ49
10-07-2006, 11:43 PM
marciano had the better chin. he was never knocked down by a michael bruce.

in fact marciano was never knocked down in his first 42 fights

aljon
10-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Frazier IMO

Dempsey 1919
10-08-2006, 01:05 AM
marciano had the better chin. he was never knocked down by a michael bruce.

in fact marciano was never knocked down in his first 42 fights

Archie Moore knocked down Marciano. Off-balance or not, he sent him down. Joe Frazier walked through Bob Foster's punches like they were nothing. Bob Foster punches harder than Moore.

redxl7
10-08-2006, 01:32 AM
I'd have to say Marciano, I've seen him take so much damage.

Abe Attell
10-08-2006, 03:16 AM
marciano had the better chin but it is true that frasier faced foreman one of the worst fighters fo a swarmer to face and one of the hardest punchers if maricano faced foreman i would expect it to go a similar way. Frasiers chin may not have been as tought but he had so much more heart than any boxer in hisotry! he would never quit thats what makes him great IMO

good post...Frazier's heart was big, just look at how he kept getting back up after being knocked down by George...and agree, Marciano never faced a puncher like Foreman.

hemichromis
10-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Archie Moore knocked down Marciano. Off-balance or not, he sent him down. Joe Frazier walked through Bob Foster's punches like they were nothing. Bob Foster punches harder than Moore.

archie moore had more knockouts than anyone i history!!

redxl7
10-08-2006, 12:54 PM
When it comes to the Archie Moore thing, he was a great boxer, and it really didn't have much do with his punching power he just knocked down Rocky by outboxing him. But come on Marciano was only knocked down a couple of times in his whole career. Don't get me wrong I love Frazier though, I think both of them had good chins and a lot of heart.

Yogi
10-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Marciano's chin was better.

Yaman
05-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Yogi's retired?:eek:

Anyway, how about this thread.

porlie
05-21-2007, 10:16 AM
The Rock had the better chin, they say the last thing a boxer loses is his punch well going of that Joe Louis was still a fearsome puncher when they fought yet he couldn't hurt the Rock enough to get the refs intervention.

danny stash
05-21-2007, 10:38 AM
the greatest puncher of all time (foreman) .
wow you have it all figured out huh??
who shot kennedy?

:)

The Noose
05-21-2007, 11:19 AM
What kind of stupid logic says that because Frazier was destroyed by Foreman, he must have had a better chin than Marciano???

All we know is that Frazier was KTFO and Marciano never came close to being beaten.
Frazier was stopped by Ali remember. Do people think he Ali could have stopped Marciano?

Southpaw Stinger
05-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Yogi's retired?:eek:

Anyway, how about this thread.

sad times :puppy_dog

ceboxer15
05-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I always thought their chins were somewhat confusing. I think they had more heart than granite up there :)

Who do you pick?

I would say Frazier.

Yaman
05-21-2007, 03:03 PM
sad times :puppy_dog

Indeed. I thought the guy still had some left but i guess it's never too early to hang the gloves.:(

Dempsey 1919
05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
What kind of stupid logic says that because Frazier was destroyed by Foreman, he must have had a better chin than Marciano???

All we know is that Frazier was KTFO and Marciano never came close to being beaten.
Frazier was stopped by Ali remember. Do people think he Ali could have stopped Marciano?

If Marciano fought Foreman, he would be "KTFO" too.

Dempsey 1919
05-21-2007, 03:46 PM
wow you have it all figured out huh??
who shot kennedy?

:)

So I guess you think Marciano would beat Foreman, huh?:lol1:

King Koyle
05-22-2007, 12:32 PM
So I guess you think Marciano would beat Foreman, huh?:lol1:

What's your problem with Marciano,butterfly?You seem to take this **** personal.Just wondering if you can clear it up.

Dempsey 1919
05-22-2007, 04:18 PM
What's your problem with Marciano,butterfly?You seem to take this **** personal.Just wondering if you can clear it up.

I just think that many people here overrate him, that's all. I have nothing against him personally.

CoLd_WaVE
05-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Marciano....