View Full Version : Training Journal

Zen
11-21-2002, 09:34 PM
I think it would be a good idea for all the posters who also train to start a training journal thread. I think it would help to motivate each other to become better fighters and keep us all informed as to what everybody's doing to become better fighters.

Just come to this thread once a day or so and let everybody know how your training is going, questions etc.

Zen
11-21-2002, 09:35 PM
I feel like **** today because I haven't trained since Monday, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna tomorrow because of the UFC and work. I need to get my ass in gear if I'm gonna reach my goals.

seldomTap
11-21-2002, 10:23 PM
Great idea Snoop...this could help a lot of us, especially if we can get input from some of the fighters also...

Day off today for me. BJJ tomorrow am, saturday morning always a good session, generally more senior guys, either blues or vet white belts.

Trained wednesday after about 10 days off cause of work shifts etc :x but felt good on the mat. Worked mainly from underneath, a lot of guard work and working on some solid, neverfail sweeps for comp in a couple of weeks.

Have recently cut back on weight training from 4 times a week to about 2-3. Training a bit more generally, not so much isolated movements. Want to gain some more muscle mass so just lifting heavy compound movements.

James Fulton
11-22-2002, 01:26 PM
Great idea. I will participate. I don't lift till tonight (and no bjj till sunday) so I will contribute then. I suggest all others participate in this as well!

The Mouse
11-22-2002, 04:14 PM
Blow me slowly and tenderly.

Tanner Rhoden
11-22-2002, 04:17 PM
[quote:2a4d1d4a82="Matt Jensen"]Blow me slowly and tenderly.[/quote:2a4d1d4a82]

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

realkaps
11-22-2002, 04:27 PM
Hahaha.....

Zen
11-22-2002, 05:42 PM
[quote:fbf28060c5="Matt Jensen"]Blow me slowly and tenderly.[/quote:fbf28060c5]

I will make that an integral part of my training if it will make me a better fighter.

seldomTap
11-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Only if you lick my ass Matt!

Just back from BJJ today. ****en hot day, about 35 degrees celsius (90 farenheit) so gym like a sauna. Rolled 3 20 minute sessions with a guy who is about 20lbs heavier, 7 inches taller and has 2 years more BJJ than me, and went pretty good. Avoided too many bad positions, swept him a couple of times, spent a lot of time in each others guard.

Feeling good as though a lot of things coming together for upcoming comp

Zen
11-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Lifted last night, haven't been lifting nearly enough since I started BJJ, due to lack of time. Rolled with my brother a little, he's 3 inches taller and about 20 lbs. heavier, has less experience than me though. I will start a new nutrition plan on Monday, I'm 200 pounds right now and I want to get down to about 185 to 190 with about 7 to 8% bodyfat. I will compete for the first time in BJJ in January or February and I'm competing in a ToughMan boxing competition in April. I really need to get a workout and eating schedule that I stick too, any suggestions?

Bad Boy USA
11-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Great idea, just a rambling thought thread about training, LOL.

Just finished a 2 hour Muay Thai workout this morning. 7:30 am on saturdays are brutal. Haven't done much submission grappling on a regular basis since early last summer. Had private lessons at the Hayastan Academy in Hollywood for about a year, seems like that arrangement won't start again. Been doing straight greco roman wrestling though.

Strained my hip flexor a few weeks ago, keep re-aggravating it during both Muay Thai and wrestling. It's not bad, but it gets annoying cuz it's stiff right after a workout. I'll need this thanksgiving weekend to rest.

seldomTap
11-24-2002, 09:23 PM
BJJ tonight...need to get new gi...**** more outgoing cash :x

Am trying to develop a safe plan for tournament fights in 2 weeks...use to pull guard, into an armbar, but it didn't work out as well as I would like, need something that will set em up for a sub or sweep early in fight to get either quick win or early points, keep pressure on opponents...am playing with a guard pull staright into triangle, but will be hard to get against taller guys that I will no doubt be competing with...

will work on tonight and see what comes up

James Fulton
11-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Went to a BJJ class yesterday at a new school, I decided to leave my other school.

We did gi and once I started actually defending my neck I did relatively well. The instructor beat my ass but also let me work some stuff and I'm improving leaps and bounds from my guard. I have to work on escapes when I'm mounted or side mounted but other than that I'm feeling pretty good. Some small basic things need work but I'm coming along. Great day at pracice...

wondermut
11-25-2002, 11:51 AM
How is that new Gi?

James Fulton
11-25-2002, 11:54 AM
I love it. I bought another pair of mkimonos gi pants and one of their bags too, they should come today. The gi is really really nice though. Once I soften it up it'll be bad ass.

The Mouse
11-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Woke up today.. thinkin bout my Dec. 5th fights, kinda pumped.. jumped outta bed. Mom was screamin at me so i right-hooked her in the jaw. While she was twitchin and unconcious on the ground i shaved and got ready for my day.

Went to church to say my morning prayers. This nun was lookin at me funny.. i got the hint and took her into the confession booth and had my way with her. She was screamin a lil bit and resisting, but I know she wanted it bad, so i shuved it into her over and over again and gave her some of my un-holy spunk.

Then I went and bought a lil kitten from the shelter, took it home and gave it a nicve bath in gasoline. Then I tied it up with barbed wire into a ball then lit it on fire.. while I played with myself to it's screams and movements.

Then I ate some lunch.

Now I'm here surfing the net, getting ready to go down to 228th St. and train all evening before I hit the gym.

seldomTap
11-25-2002, 05:03 PM
**** I wish I was a Pro fighter...

BJJ last night was good, worked a few different things from stand up..not long till tournament so should finish most of my game up this week and then just polish it up next week..
Work is a *****, I need to win a ****load of cash or something so I can actually train when I want to

handjobs4dollars
11-25-2002, 05:50 PM
Leaving to train in 10. Going to work on doing punching, then go straight for a take down. The on stopping the takedown.

HockeyFighter
11-25-2002, 08:43 PM
ROTFLMFAO @ Matt

realkaps
11-25-2002, 08:56 PM
[quote:8c1caef2e3="Matt Jensen"]Woke up today.. thinkin bout my Dec. 5th fights, kinda pumped.. jumped outta bed. Mom was screamin at me so i right-hooked her in the jaw. While she was twitchin and unconcious on the ground i shaved and got ready for my day.

Went to church to say my morning prayers. This nun was lookin at me funny.. i got the hint and took her into the confession booth and had my way with her. She was screamin a lil bit and resisting, but I know she wanted it bad, so i shuved it into her over and over again and gave her some of my un-holy spunk.

Then I went and bought a lil kitten from the shelter, took it home and gave it a nicve bath in gasoline. Then I tied it up with barbed wire into a ball then lit it on fire.. while I played with myself to it's screams and movements.

Then I ate some lunch.

Now I'm here surfing the net, getting ready to go down to 228th St. and train all evening before I hit the gym.[/quote:8c1caef2e3]

Funniest **** EVER!!!!!!!

handjobs4dollars
11-25-2002, 09:27 PM
I just had one of the best 10 min. rolls in my life. It went 1:1, he got a keylock on me and with 30 seconds left, i got a sweet head crank.

Zen
11-25-2002, 10:04 PM
Just got back from BJJ, worked on escaping when mounted, a hip throw and sparred. Didn't get tapped, and didn't tap anyone in sparring, wasn't happy with my performance, gave one guy the opportunity to armbar me but escaped both times. I suck! :evil:

CrashZero
11-26-2002, 12:46 AM
crap, i havnt been training for boxing for almost a whole week now and I may have a fight coming up soon. Better get my ass back in their. Any you guys box?

seldomTap
11-26-2002, 01:29 AM
[quote:44018e331e="CrashZero"]crap, i havnt been training for boxing for almost a whole week now and I may have a fight coming up soon. Better get my ass back in their. Any you guys box?[/quote:44018e331e]

Use to box when I was in the Army...had an 8-0 record which was kinda cool...hard game, got a lot of time for anyone that boxes as I know how hard it is to train for a fight...

James Fulton
11-26-2002, 10:20 AM
Can't roll all week since my instructor is in Brazil till Monday. :(

seldomTap
11-26-2002, 09:05 PM
Hook up with some guys you train with James...I have trained probably more when my instrucotr hasn't been around of late cause of my work hours etc...am still learning and avoid getting rusty

James Fulton
11-27-2002, 06:07 PM
Gonna roll with some buddies friday.

ttt

handjobs4dollars
11-27-2002, 07:13 PM
Just got back from doing some striking and I learned a new guard escape.

Bad Boy USA
11-27-2002, 08:04 PM
Resting this week, think my hip flexor is getting better.

But now I'm dealing with this sore on the inside of lip...... HERPES!!!!????

Zen
11-27-2002, 09:08 PM
Hope not BadBoy, you get that and you got if for life. I haven't trained since Monday and I'm gonna eat like a pig the next couple of days. Won't go to bjj until Monday night cause I'll be out of town the next couple of days, I'm going through withdrawals right now!

seldomTap
11-27-2002, 09:12 PM
Bought new gi today...strapped for cash so just got a generic double weave one local...old one is torn to shreds, but so many memories! Will be a teary farewell when I get around to washing my car with the few decent scraps left.

9 days out from tournament...will train saturday and probably monday...drive friday...

2 or 3 gym sessions in there to

James Fulton
11-27-2002, 09:21 PM
Good luck seldomtap

Zen
11-27-2002, 09:49 PM
Good luck ST!

seldomTap
11-27-2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys...think I may need it!

handjobs4dollars
11-28-2002, 11:02 AM
It's time for me to cut some of this extra weight that I have. I have about 30.3 percent body fat and if I want to train harder, it time for it to go. I'm 6,1 and 230 pounds right now. I'm aiming for 200 pounds.

seldomTap
11-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Gman...your new favourite word should be CARDIO!!

Do you lift much at the moment? If so, keep doing it, a lot of people try to lose weight and stop lifting, therefore, any muscle they had atrophys and they are back to square 1.

Use some variety in your cardio also...swim, run, ride a bike, heavy bag work, spar etc, but try not to get stale, which is easy to do. I know cause I hate cardio and am lucky that I haven't ballooned to about 310!

Also, try to eat limited carbs after say 4pm in the day. Cut down on bread and pasta, go for more lean meats and chicken. Tuna is a good idea to, comes in a can, can't go wrong with it.

Drink ****LOADS of water. Try to drink none or very little coke, pepsi etc.

Good luck :)

James Fulton
11-28-2002, 08:43 PM
I cut out all my bad food and lost 20 pounds.... still losing some weight and also lifting more and gaining muscle. Never felt better!!!

:)

seldomTap
11-28-2002, 08:54 PM
Good **** James...but no before/after pics??? :wink:

I am currently about 235-240, wouldn't hurt to get down to 215...will probably happen when I start Rugby pre season and do lots of road work again :?

handjobs4dollars
11-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Seldom I'm moving to lock next season by the way. I got to tall. But i'm cutting pop, a lot of the fats that i eat in meats. I plan on getting my protein from nuts and things like that. I train about 4 days a week. So i will be running for about 45 minutes on days i don't train. I lift 3 days a week in the gym at my school. So good bye simple sugars and carbs. I hate to go to the store tommorow after school and buy some new food. Well it's a good think i like yogurt and fruits.

I get off of school in two weeks for a month which should be good. I have time to eat right and not on the run. I'll be posting pictures.

seldomTap
11-28-2002, 10:51 PM
Sounds like a plan Gman...but remember to keep your iron intake up as you feel dead without it. That is where a lot of vegetarians go wrong and why they can turn grey!

Moving to lock...lucky guy...I played a lot of juniors in the second row, but stopped growing at 6'1" so was told I was too short and moved to the back row!

Am looking at number 8 or blindside breakaway next year

Good luck with it mate!

handjobs4dollars
11-29-2002, 11:30 AM
Damn straight, Club side starts in the spring. I can't wait. I've been off the pitch for 2 months and I need to hit somebody.

James Fulton
11-29-2002, 11:35 AM
seldom i'll scan a before pic and then post both the before and after

DOGGx0
11-29-2002, 12:46 PM
this is an awsome thread.

i need to get back training fellas. i hope and plan to fight in this next year.

starting this next monday... its on. i will be at punishment 4-5 days a week. i just need some kind of motivation.

like chuck liddell said at ufc 40:
"its hard to train all the time, when you don't have a fight comming up. So I need to constantly fight, so I can constantly train hard all the time."

handjobs4dollars
11-29-2002, 03:21 PM
Did a 45 minute run today on a path beside the canal in my city.

seldomTap
11-30-2002, 08:56 AM
Rolled this morning for 2 hours...felt just ok...not one of the better days.

This **** happens though...I always have nights when I can't lift, roll, run, no matter how hard I try...there is no improving it. Best off forgetting it and coming back tomorrow, 9/10 it is 100% better..

Listen to your body folks...it is the best guide for you of when to train and what you should be doing!

DOGGx0
11-30-2002, 06:05 PM
i rolled last night. Bled from my forehead, elbow, nose, and pulled my groin in my right leg.

still staying strong ;)

handjobs4dollars
11-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Holy **** adam, my elbowjoint hurts but damn.

Zen
12-01-2002, 01:26 AM
Rolled No Gi BJJ for about an hour today. Moved really good, couldn't finish though. Need to work on my finishing techniques. Cardio felt good.

handjobs4dollars
12-01-2002, 01:41 AM
Why is it only a few guys are posting in here? Alot of you ****ers have to train.Oh yand it is day one of the cutting . Yesterday i got all new food. It was strange. Ervey one was looking at me funny. It may be the 230 pound, 6 foot, 18 year old pushing a cart, with only chicken, 12 single severing yogut. Tons of fruit and carrots. But hey maybe it's because i was wearing my I love only three things in life;beer, tits and fighting t-shirt. You never know.

VulgarTheClown
12-01-2002, 01:45 AM
Out with knee injury. :(

DOGGx0
12-01-2002, 02:01 AM
gman- i ****in kill myself EVERYTIME. there has not been one time i roll and don't walk away hurt. and that is very true, there has got to be more people here that train, if not..... they are sisys;)
and i want that shirt!!! keep up the good work. i need to start eating a little bit healthier too!

and Vulgar- how long are you out for? was it just from rolling?

handjobs4dollars
12-01-2002, 02:13 AM
I should make those t-shirts, we could sell them on global.

realkaps
12-01-2002, 02:17 AM
I dont train, dont have the funds or a place to do it.......

DOGGx0
12-01-2002, 02:17 AM
make em. did u make the one you were wearing or do u plan to make a brand new one? or are you gonna be a jerk and just talk about what a success those shirts would be?

handjobs4dollars
12-01-2002, 02:27 AM
Actually i never wore one i just thought of it when i was writing the post. But I love the idea now. If any one wants to make feel free, but i get 10 percent of any money you make.

DOGGx0
12-01-2002, 02:33 AM
hahahahaha.

o man.

realkaps
12-01-2002, 02:35 AM
Adam must be bored, he is posting alot tonite......

CrashZero
12-01-2002, 06:48 AM
hey all, good to hear you guys are on track. Gotmy mouth piece in last week, brand new shock doctor 3.0 so I can start sparring for boxing but I thought shockdoctor was a double mouth piece since I got braces i need bottom teeth protection but its liek a high tech single, I spent 20$ and 20$ on shipping so Im screwed till i can afford a wipps. Looks like ill really need to keep my chin tucked in. Thanksgiving threw a rench into the whole training routine, didnt box that day liek i was suppose too n didnt go running and ate a ton that night so i couldnt do any ab work. I made it up the next day lifting and running but nothin but push ups today since my legs are sore from running on asphalt.

I lost a good a amount of weight from training and I definitly got my weight low and I still have a higher body fat percentage and Im not even in shape yet, I can probably drop 5 more pounds n be bigger n stonrger and in better shape then i ever I was. I even still got a bit f a bellly which is weird for somone my weight.

just a quik q, what mouth guards do you guys got?

James Fulton
12-01-2002, 11:45 AM
I just use a ****ty generic mouthguard, can't remember the name of the company.

Still just lifting, instructor gets back from Brazil tomorrow and I train again on Tuesday. Very excited.

handjobs4dollars
12-01-2002, 01:39 PM
I got a shock doctor too, it's **** i don't like it. i'm thinking of going and getting a custom one made. It only cost like 10 more dollars.

handjobs4dollars
12-01-2002, 02:37 PM
i just want to post this link for you guys www.fighttraining.com

seldomTap
12-01-2002, 06:45 PM
6 days from tournament and shoulder has flared...is a recurring problem I have had on and off for last 2 months...is pissing me off as affects everything I do...big question should I try and roll on it, which normally doesn't bother it too much, or just rest it...I really need to roll to sort some things out beofre weekend...I should stay away from gym, but am addicted to iron and hate being away from it!

handjobs4dollars
12-01-2002, 06:52 PM
I just got back from running, going to roll tommorow. Seldom, I know what you mean. I remember when I use to go to the gym 6 times a week.

The Golden Bear
12-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Had a fifth of wild turkey, gonna go roll.

seldomTap
12-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Hahaha...good to hydrate correctly

The Golden Bear
12-01-2002, 10:46 PM
yea dont fool around with dehydration **** your **** up bad

miller8966
12-01-2002, 11:57 PM
I love gi training, i think its so much better then no gi.im so used to no gi though that i dont protect my neck.but all with time

seldomTap
12-02-2002, 06:17 PM
Gi training is godd. I find I am way more technical with the Gi, when I take it off I use too much strength which isn't great for BJJ development.

SOmeone once told me you should train your first full year with the gi to gain the most technically...

handjobs4dollars
12-02-2002, 08:53 PM
I just got back from training. Did some wrestling, trying to get double underhooks. Then i rolled for a 10 minute match, with this guy named matt. The one thing i hate about just a grappling class, is when i know i can punch a guy a can't. I was rolling and i had his back. I nearly went to start hitting him, but i stoped myself.

seldomTap
12-02-2002, 09:30 PM
HAhaha..can be frustrating huh!

Especially if he is just stalling and not doing anything from his guard or going turtle a lot, a good whack in the head would make him move around a lot more for you.

handjobs4dollars
12-02-2002, 09:33 PM
I know he's a little bastard.I needed to find more people who want to train mma and not just grappling, mauy thai, wrestling or what the **** else.

seldomTap
12-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Good luck with that...it is hard to find people to train full MMA with you...as most people train 1 or maybe 2 disciplines, they like to stick to what they know...

handjobs4dollars
12-02-2002, 11:01 PM
kaps get your ass up off the ground and start training.

Bad Boy USA
12-03-2002, 02:31 AM
Damn, still feeling the turkey and liquor from the weekend. I was dead-gassed about an hour into wrestling club. Rolled a little with a BJJ friend after, got killed. Was only able to get one cheap achilles hold sub when he got me I dunno how many times.

I need to change my weight lifting routine. I can put up almost 300 pounds bench press single rep, but it does nothing for in in grappling. Maybe I should cut the weights but 50% and do 20-30 reps per exercise.

The Golden Bear
12-03-2002, 04:19 PM
yea, a one rep max isnt very good for grappling, stick to high reps...

seldomTap
12-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Spot on Blake...

1RM's are cool to keep a track of progress strentgh wise, but they aren't real practical. BadBoy, don't cut your weight training to much, but rather refine it so that you work on as much muscular endurance. 20 - 30 reps is pretty extreme I think cause the weight used would be probably too light.

Try using a weight you can get 8-10 reps with and blast. Don't count reps, it will put a mental block in your mind. Have a spotter handy to pull it off you when you have had it. You will find your strength and endurance rise appreciably.

seldomTap
12-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Went to gym last night, last week of current cycle before I change training pattern.

Did chins, inclines, bent over rows, upright rows, flyes and bicep curls. Was out of there in 55 minutes which was good, didn't waste any time.

Feeling strong, lifted well. Will change back to a heavier weight programme next week after BJJ comp. Want to gain another 5 lbs of muscle by my birthday (end of March) which will be tough to do, but possible.

handjobs4dollars
12-03-2002, 06:27 PM
Seldom whats your weight right now.

seldomTap
12-03-2002, 06:43 PM
I weighed myself last night and I was 239 fully clothed with shoes, so probably 235 ish normally. I am that at 6'1". Not carrying a lot of fat which is good (probably approx 10 - 12%)

Zen
12-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Damn Seldom your a big dude! 10% bodyfat at that height and weight is pretty damn good, you must be pretty ripped. I'm 5'11", and weigh in at about 205 right now. I want to compete at 185 and walk around between 190-195 and get my body fat down to about 7%, it's probably about 11% right now. Do you know about what your bench and squat maxes are?

seldomTap
12-03-2002, 11:55 PM
I honestly don't look that big...I must have heavy bones!

I have never done a 1RM, but have benched 410 for 4 reps before (about 2 months ago). Same for squats, have never done them heavy enough to do a 1RM. Have squatted 450 for 5 reps recently also.

realkaps
12-03-2002, 11:58 PM
I was chopping wood earlyer, then I stacked it by the house, pretty good workout I am sore right now.....

seldomTap
12-04-2002, 12:19 AM
[quote:e15205960b="kaps"]I was chopping wood earlyer, then I stacked it by the house, pretty good workout I am sore right now.....[/quote:e15205960b]

That can be pretty damn good...any physical labour can do you good.

Look at a lot of the old school wrestlers from like 90 years ago, they were big guys who lived off the land...no weights, just chopping, lifting, carrying cows around etc.

realkaps
12-04-2002, 12:22 AM
I aint got no cows, I got some goats though.......

The Golden Bear
12-04-2002, 02:30 AM
man i gotta get back lifting weights... im all week and softer now...

seldomTap
12-04-2002, 09:03 PM
Will be in gym tonight after the most disappointing BJJ night ever. Things always seem better after throwing some weight around for me!

Fallout
12-04-2002, 09:23 PM
I got to roll against a friend of my brothers who is a black belt in TKD and said he could kick my ass.

It was fun putting him in a triangle

Zen
12-04-2002, 09:48 PM
I absolutely positively sucked at BJJ tonight. I'm just not advancing as quickly as I'd like, it is all my fault though. My cardio is weak and I get tired out to quickly, and I can't be as aggresive as I'd like because of my cardio. I got tapped 3 times tonight and didn't tap anyone, the two guys I rolled with are probably a little more experienced than me but I need to get it together. **** I Suck. :evil:

DOGGx0
12-04-2002, 10:26 PM
hey. lets try to express some of these thoughts throught the forum. so i can keep up with you ****ers!

i am loosing motivation you *******s!;)
i want to see EVERYTHING.

handjobs4dollars
12-04-2002, 11:39 PM
Man you guys need to get pump before you roll. Listen to some music that gets you all worked up before you roll like I do. Thiers nothing like a song that makes you feel like kicking ass to make you have that extra edge.

seldomTap
12-05-2002, 12:07 AM
Good point G...normally we have Sepultura or some old RATM playing...but last night we only had the AM radio...Mariah Carey and Celine Dion don't do it for me!

It can amke a difference though, an old Rugby coach of mine use to play the Rocky soundtrack before games which seemed to work for some guys

seldomTap
12-07-2002, 07:49 AM
****...not happy. have written post about why in my own journal thread...do not want to post it all again so go there and check it!

Zen
12-07-2002, 04:45 PM
Tested for 1st stripe on my white belt this morning, everything went well on test and I passed. Then rolled with a blue belt and I tapped him with a guillotine, I was pretty pumped because it was the first time I ever tapped a blue belt! He then proceeded to whip my ass and arm bar me in about 30 seconds. Hurt my neck while rolling today, think it's just sore though, not injured. We'll see tomorrow. I'm gonna start my own Journal just don't have the time 'cause I got work in an hour, keep up the good work guys!

handjobs4dollars
12-08-2002, 04:51 PM
I hope you guys know that when you fight, you have to wear a globalmma.com t-shirt of hat or something.

wondermut
12-18-2002, 04:00 PM
get me 1

TKD1
02-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Are you for real????