View Full Version : Champions who didn't reach their potential

BuddyChacon
08-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Considering these two were supposed to dominate multiple weight classes and be potential hall of famers according to boxing experts.My two are Junior Jones and Danny Romero. Riddick Bowe was a huge dissapointment

NJFighter91
08-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Tyson comes to mind...

K-DOGG
08-23-2006, 03:56 PM
1. Mike Tyson
2. Riddick Bowe
3. James "Buster" Douglas....he had the skills, the "want-to" was lacking.
4. Donald Curry
5. Ray Leonard....damn retina trouble
6. Zack Padilla...don't know why he retired when he did...he coulda beat Chavez, or at least gave him merry hell.
7. Roy Jones Jr.....shoulda fought tougher opponents to prove he was as good as he was.
8. Greg Page
9. Tim Witherspoon...should have him at # 2 or 3, really.
10. Charles Murray....always thought he was better than he showed.

BuddyChacon
08-23-2006, 03:59 PM
1. Mike Tyson
2. Riddick Bowe
4. Donald Curry
6. Zack Padilla...don't know why he retired when he did...he coulda beat Chavez, or at least gave him merry hell.
7. Roy Jones Jr.....shoulda fought tougher opponents to prove he was as good as he was.
8. Greg Page

All good ones, btw Zach Padilla developed a bloodclot on the brain after sparring with Shane Mosley, so he had to retire.

K-DOGG
08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
BuddyChacon....thanks for the info on Padilla. He was one of my favorite fihters. I'll never forget him and Olivares or when he beat Gonzalez on the Foreman-Morrison undercard. I hate to hear that's what happened; but at least he's okay.

Dye
08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Tommy Morrison

Yaman
08-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Tony Tucker

Nacho_Analstain
08-23-2006, 05:04 PM
prince naseem

Toddy
08-23-2006, 06:03 PM
prince nassem, buster douglas and sugar ray leonard. someone that passed his prime and beyond was roberto duran

Dempsey 1919
08-23-2006, 11:32 PM
ali, since he was banned from boxing in his prime years.

JohnTheMon91
08-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Gerald Mcclellan, Tyson...

K-DOGG
08-24-2006, 02:03 PM
All good ones, btw Zach Padilla developed a bloodclot on the brain after sparring with Shane Mosley, so he had to retire.

I was presumptious earlier, Buddy.

Is Zack okay these days? :confused:

BuddyChacon
08-24-2006, 02:19 PM
As far as I remember he went back to his job as a mailman in Azusa,CA and is okay. I didn't know if you remember he was a part time fighter. Which makes his career all the more impressive. He had a punch rate that was unbelievable and was starting to show more power when he retired.

K-DOGG
08-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Glad to hear he's okay.

I knew that he had walked away from the game for a few years and "got fat" as he called it; and then one day the boxing bug bit him again. He didn't lose once in his comeback and was the WBO titlist when he retired again....and I honestly think he could have beaten Chavez at the time.

Damn I loved watching him fight. :D

Thanks for the info, man.

leff
08-24-2006, 03:47 PM
micheal gerard kirkpatrick tyson

ben41193
08-24-2006, 04:59 PM
muhammad ali imo never became the best he could. Because He was stripped of his title right after what many people consider to be his best fight ever. And he was still improving. He missed out on a boxers prime ages. the ages where you are still young but your not so young you are inexperanced. And also at that age he was still improving so if he had not been forced to retire he would have gotten better and probably would not have slown down as much.

NJFighter91
08-24-2006, 06:28 PM
I guess Foreman could've been better since he started at 19 I think??

But his style might've been different if he started when he was smaller/skinnier at 10-14 and he would've had a different style.

ben41193
08-24-2006, 07:44 PM
muhammad ali imo never became the best he could. Because He was stripped of his title right after what many people consider to be his best fight ever. And he was still improving. He missed out on a boxers prime ages. the ages where you are still young but your not so young you are inexperanced. And also at that age he was still improving so if he had not been forced to retire he would have gotten better and probably would not have slown down as much.

Dye
08-24-2006, 08:58 PM
James buster Douglas never really reached his

Southpaw Stinger
08-24-2006, 10:22 PM
James buster Douglas never really reached his

He did in one fight and then that was it for him!

NJFighter91
08-24-2006, 10:27 PM
He did in one fight and then that was it for him!Haha...his prime was February 11, 1990. :D

ben41193
08-24-2006, 10:28 PM
He did in one fight and then that was it for him!

Yah he did against tyson. oh yah buster douglas is my trainer.

Southpaw Stinger
08-25-2006, 02:14 AM
Haha...his prime was February 11, 1990

Not every fighter can have an exact date for their prime, so Douglas should be proud!

Dempsey 1919
08-28-2006, 01:22 AM

took the words right out of my mouth.

ferocity
08-28-2006, 05:27 AM
Glad to hear he's okay.

I knew that he had walked away from the game for a few years and "got fat" as he called it; and then one day the boxing bug bit him again. He didn't lose once in his comeback and was the WBO titlist when he retired again....and I honestly think he could have beaten Chavez at the time.

Damn I loved watching him fight. :D

Thanks for the info, man.

I really only remember Padilla fight with Olivera, and though he threw a lot of punchs, he didn't have the power to bother Chavez, and Padillas love for infighting would have been all wrong to try and beat Chavez at his own game. Padilla tough, throws a lot of punchs and Chavez bit older but still beats Paddilla.

If you have any of his fights im willing to trade from my fight collection.

ferocity
08-28-2006, 05:38 AM
Fighter that haven't been mentions:

Johnny Tapia - he lost 3 years of his boxing career do to a drug habit/being in jail, he could have been even greater

Alejandro "La Cobrita" Gonzalez

King Koyle
08-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Oliver Mccall-probadly could have been so much better if it wasn't for the mental problems.Who know's how he would have done in the Lewis rematch if he didn't break down!

Oleg Maskaev-One of the worst managed fighters ever!

Mike Tyson-Enough said!

Zigga
08-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Kirkland Laing, after beating Duran he had the world at his feet but chose drugs and booze instead.

MickyHatton
09-04-2006, 03:35 AM
Kirkland Laing, after beating Duran he had the world at his feet but chose drugs and booze instead.

He was a talented fighter but had a suspect chin and was stopped 8 times (hence he was KO'd in one round by Fred Hutchings the next fight after beating Duran!)

hemichromis
09-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Tony Tucker

if it wasn;t for tyson he would have dominated the division almost as completely IMO

ernie shavers was someone who could knock out damn near anyone and yet everytime he got a championship match it was against someone who was just too good at evading or rolling with the punches. he was still trying(and knocking people out!) at 50!

jerry quarry was also a great fighter and yet never became champion

Abe Attell
09-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I always thought Meldrick Taylor could of ended up better than he did if he had a trainer that could have convinced him to move around more, instead of standing toe to toe to much...maybe Angelo Dundee would of worked...not a real big fan of his since I am not to sure he is a great trainer for technique, but he is good at getting his fighters to use their natural talent/ability.

Azteca
09-04-2006, 09:11 PM
davey moore.

Heckler
09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
took the words right out of my mouth.

Thought in 66-67 Ali was essentially at the peak of his powers anyway, 6-7 years of professional experience, extensive amateur experience, consistently weighing in at over 210 pounds... RIPPED... at the age of 25. If he didn't have his layoff he could've achieved more, possibly becoming better than he was as a result of experience. I think the Ali that dominated Folley, Terell, Williams was a pretty accurate representation of what Ali would've been anyway.

Dempsey 1919
09-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Thought in 66-67 Ali was essentially at the peak of his powers anyway, 6-7 years of professional experience, extensive amateur experience, consistently weighing in at over 210 pounds... RIPPED... at the age of 25. If he didn't have his layoff he could've achieved more, possibly becoming better than he was as a result of experience. I think the Ali that dominated Folley, Terell, Williams was a pretty accurate representation of what Ali would've been anyway.

Good point, but what many people don't realize is that ali's punching power was still increasing. remember, he knocked folley dead with just two punches. It's evident that he would have had attained some ko power had he fought during those years.

Heckler
09-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Dont think his potential punching power ever changed, what did was how he fought... plant your feet, sit on your punches and you hit harder. We saw him plant his feet and tee off on Williams... he never punched with that combination of power/speed/sharpness ever again.

Dempsey 1919
09-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Dont think his potential punching power ever changed, what did was how he fought... plant your feet, sit on your punches and you hit harder. We saw him plant his feet and tee off on Williams... he never punched with that combination of power/speed/sharpness ever again.

What about against folley. He ko'd him with like one or two punches, lol!

AJ53
09-09-2006, 09:00 AM
I always thought Meldrick Taylor could of ended up better than he did if he had a trainer that could have convinced him to move around more, instead of standing toe to toe to much...maybe Angelo Dundee would of worked...not a real big fan of his since I am not to sure he is a great trainer for technique, but he is good at getting his fighters to use their natural talent/ability.
i gotta totally agree with you about taylor!
another to add into the mix has to be salvador sanchez altough he died young he was already an established great fighter.
but did he ever reach his peak?
was he a star that shined brightly only to fade out quickly?
or was he possibly the greatest fighter ever to grace the ring?
nobody will truly ever know, not even sanchez himself.
but due to the fact that he never wasted his talent like alot of others mentioned before, either because of lack of mental toughness, motivation or just general lack of heart.
either way whenever i think of a champion/fighter who never reached there potential, salvador sanchez is always top of the list with honours!!

Zigga
09-09-2006, 07:03 PM
He was a talented fighter but had a suspect chin and was stopped 8 times (hence he was KO'd in one round by Fred Hutchings the next fight after beating Duran!)

Isnt the title of the thread called fighters who didnt reach there potential :D

Dynamite76
12-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Greg Page
Michael Dokes
Davey Moore
Milton McCrory
Donald Curry
Hector Camacho
Tony Tucker
Tim Witherspoon
John Tate

jspivey
12-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Salvador Sanchez
Meldrick Taylor (even though he won some gold the Chavez fight sapped a lot of years outta Taylor)
Michael Moorer (He had the skills, didn't have the motivation)
Riddick Bowe
Roy Jones Jr.(I hate to mention his name in this topic, but maybe if he'd wiped out #1 contenders i wouldn't have to)
Zab Judah( all the skills, no dedication)

jspivey
12-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Fernando Vargas( Some might disagree with me, but getting beat like he did early in his career definatly had an effect on his potential as well as his body)

Prince Naseem

Baby Joe Mesi( He wasn't a champion, but damn sure gave fans some exciting fights)

Hydro
02-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Hector Camacho Sr.

brownpimp88
02-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I dont think dwight muhammed qawi reached his full potential. I also think he was robbed a couple of times, i thought he won the fight against ocasio and that guy in 1989.

AJ53
02-09-2007, 07:52 PM
i gotta totally agree with you about taylor!
another to add into the mix has to be salvador sanchez altough he died young he was already an established great fighter.
but did he ever reach his peak?
was he a star that shined brightly only to fade out quickly?
or was he possibly the greatest fighter ever to grace the ring?
nobody will truly ever know, not even sanchez himself.
but due to the fact that he never wasted his talent like alot of others mentioned before, either because of lack of mental toughness, motivation or just general lack of heart.
either way whenever i think of a champion/fighter who never reached there potential, salvador sanchez is always top of the list with honours!!

just watched another sanchez fight!!!
and i tell you this just could well have been the g.o.a.t.!!!!

Emon723
02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
mark breland, david reid,

Brassangel
02-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by K-DOGG
1. Mike Tyson
2. Riddick Bowe
4. Donald Curry
8. Greg Page

I think that this is a nearly perfect list. The top three alone, combined with successful champions Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield could have made for a Platinum Era in heavyweight boxing.

Kid Achilles
02-11-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't think many champions really reach their potential. I think the majority of them don't, when you factor in poor management (fed to the wolves too early, overly protecting), poor training habits, poor luck, starting too late, etc. etc.

It's a matter of how close to their potential they arrived at finally. Has anyone really ever reached 100% of his potential? Not so sure.

Jim_Davis
02-11-2007, 09:13 PM
If Ali had fought in his prime years and lost 1 or 2 fights he wouldnt be held in such high regard. The reason hes so "legendary" is cos he never fought in those prime years. Therefore, this thread is just speculation.

I hate to sound like a fan boy but Prince Naseem was on the way to being the best featherweight of all time. Now hes just "a good British champ".

Mike Tyson could have been alot better.

Tommy Morrison

Audley Harrison (if only he was discovered earlier) :banana: lol

brownpimp88
02-11-2007, 09:53 PM
If Ali had fought in his prime years and lost 1 or 2 fights he wouldnt be held in such high regard. The reason hes so "legendary" is cos he never fought in those prime years. Therefore, this thread is just speculation.

I hate to sound like a fan boy but Prince Naseem was on the way to being the best featherweight of all time. Now hes just "a good British champ".

Mike Tyson could have been alot better.

Tommy Morrison

Audley Harrison (if only he was discovered earlier) :banana: lol

Do u really think naz was gonna surpass pep, saddler, arguello, nelson and sanchez? I mean they went out there and fought the best, he just fought mandatories.

BrooklynBomber
02-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Vitaly Klitschko

titoi
02-11-2007, 10:24 PM
http://uashome.alaska.edu/~jndfg20/website/waterfront.gif

Brassangel
02-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I would also include Bald Bull. He had a confusing jab, and good power which included a tremendously explosive uppercut. He never worked on his abs, however, and was frequently knocked out by a man half his size.

-Hyperion-
02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Salvador Sanchez because he died.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......

brownpimp88
02-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Salvador Sanchez because he died.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......

He beat nelson and gomez, there really wasnt anyone else for him to beat at 126.

SABBATH
02-12-2007, 08:38 AM
He beat nelson and gomez, there really wasnt anyone else for him to beat at 126.A unification match with WBA champion Eusebio Pedroza was unfinished busines for Sanchez at 126.

Hydro
02-12-2007, 01:51 PM
He beat nelson and gomez, there really wasnt anyone else for him to beat at 126.

Two words:

Eusebio Pedroza