View Full Version : Biggest Prospect Bust

BuddyChacon
08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
The names that come to mind are Francisco Bojado, Ricardo Williams,Jo-El Scott, Danell Nicholson,Dezi Ford. Love to hear more.

Dye
08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
craig payne??????????????

BuddyChacon
08-23-2006, 04:12 PM
The Heavyweight. He was a propect? I don't think your thinking of the right guy. If he was he became a journeyman

Hous
08-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Joel Juilo recently was a pretty big disappointment.

BuddyChacon
08-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Yes but I wouldn't call him a bust yet.

Dye
08-23-2006, 05:28 PM
The Heavyweight. He was a propect.
thats why i put ???????????????

BuddyChacon
08-23-2006, 05:33 PM
I meant to put a question mark behind Prospect. Sorry

K-DOGG
08-23-2006, 05:33 PM
1. Duane Bobick
2. John Tate
3. David Reid....you know it's true. The hype for this kid was unreal....not that I believed any of it; but many did.
4. Howard Davis Jr.
5. Tyrell Biggs...maybe..
6. Joey Gamache....he was hyped big, anyway
7. Hector Camacho Sr.....that's right! I said it!! Sure, he won the Jr. Lightweight and Lightweight titles (alphabet); but who wasn't disappointed at the way his career went after the Rosario fight?
8. Michael Grant...nuff said.
9. Ike Ibeabuchi...should have place him at #1 or 2.
10. Fernando Vargas....compared to they hype, he didn't measure up.

BuddyChacon
08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
I think David Reid and Vargas both got ruined by Trinidad and were pushed too quickly. Who is the guy from '88 the lightweight Andrew something supposed to be great then fought Bobby Czyz. Ike was a big dissapointment to me.

K-DOGG
08-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Andrew Maynard....good call.

I'd like to add Anthony Hembrick to that list as well.

No argument on Reid and Vargas being moved too fast, btw.

BuddyChacon
08-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Hembrick's career really missed the bus :D Booker Word right hand didn't miss his chin though.

K-DOGG
08-23-2006, 05:53 PM
lol!! Man, I remember Anthony doing that choreographed routine with his cornermen before that bout and thinking, "This is one ****y kid"....then Booker landed that shot. OooWee! Damn, what a bust! :D

I also recall him taking on Toney at 175 and he came to teh ring wearing an Afro-Wig and a mask...looked like "Black Lightning". Oh well, he had the charisma, at least.

Cutthroat
08-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Jeff Lacy...

Kid Achilles
08-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Jeff Lacy hasn't been a bust yet. He lost one fight to Joe Calzaghe. We will know if he's a bust in a year or two.

Rockin'
08-27-2006, 11:33 PM
I meant to put a question mark behind Prospect. Sorry

Initially starting into the professionals Craig Payne was a highley touted amatuer. He lost to Tyrell Biggs in the olympic box offs and was not on the team. However, he had beaten Biggs before aswell as Tefelio Stevenson. The guy was definately a prospect. Unfortunately he didnt do the right things and he only got as far as he has, he was a very talented man. I trained around him alot when I was an amatuer.

Rockin'
08-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Hembrick's career really missed the bus :D Booker Word right hand didn't miss his chin though.

Funny thing, Craig and Booker T were working together sparring and such at the gym when I was an amatuer. Bookers a cool guy.

Southpaw16
08-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Another guy who comes to mind is Andrew Golata. He had tremendous physical potential. Fernando Vargas has accomplished too much in his career to call him a bust. He has a win over Wright and has been in three huge pay per view fights were he came up just short but fought very well. All in all that is a successful career.

Dynamite76
12-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Alex Ramos
Bobby Czyz
Mitch Green
Carl Williams

Verstyle
12-04-2006, 01:51 PM
tyrell biggs fell off big time after he fought tyson if u dont believe me just check out his record.http://boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=1006

Yogi
12-04-2006, 02:28 PM
tyrell biggs fell off big time after he fought tyson if u dont believe me just check out his record.http://boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=1006

I, for one, don't believe you, as I would say the signs were definately there before the Tyson fight in regards to Biggs falling off, as you called it...

Some unimpressive pre-Tyson performances against some former contenders who had seen better days, like against Renaldo Snipes and especially, David Bey (who beat up & bloodied Biggs in that one), suggests that Biggs was not nearly as good as advertised when he recieved all that hype coming out of the Olympics...Also Biggs' very well publicized problems with drugs & alcohol (inluding an extended stint in rehab previous to facing Tyson) suggest that Biggs had some other issues that didn't allow him to reach what some may have envisioned for him in the pro ranks.

What was that David Bey quote again after his fight with Briggs?

"Ready for Tyson? Hell, he wasn't even ready for me."

Something like that anyways, and a more accurate statement there's never been.

BuddyChacon
12-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Alex Ramos
Bobby Czyz
Mitch Green
Carl Williams

Bobby Czyz won two world titles so he could hardly be called bust IMO.

Dempseyistheman
12-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Francisco Bojado. Maybe a few others but he comes to mind first.

BuddyChacon
12-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Francisco Bojado. Maybe a few others but he comes to mind first.

He is one of the most recent him and Ricardo Williams. I still think Andrew Maynard is the biggest bust in history since so much hype was behind him.

BuddyChacon
12-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Old school Prospect Failures most should look into. Billy Graham, Ruby Goldstein and Jack kid Berg. All three were pegged as future all time greats and Graham had numerous things written about him as an amatuer. Though Graham got jobbed against Kid Gavilan. Goldstein was supposed to be the next Benny Leonard and Berg had a lot of hype coming to America from England.

Verstyle
12-04-2006, 03:19 PM
I, for one, don't believe you, as I would say the signs were definately there before the Tyson fight in regards to Biggs falling off, as you called it...

Some unimpressive pre-Tyson performances against some former contenders who had seen better days, like against Renaldo Snipes and especially, David Bey (who beat up & bloodied Biggs in that one), suggests that Biggs was not nearly as good as advertised when he recieved all that hype coming out of the Olympics...Also Biggs' very well publicized problems with drugs & alcohol (inluding an extended stint in rehab previous to facing Tyson) suggest that Biggs had some other issues that didn't allow him to reach what some may have envisioned for him in the pro ranks.

What was that David Bey quote again after his fight with Briggs?

"Ready for Tyson? Hell, he wasn't even ready for me."

Something like that anyways, and a more accurate statement there's never been.

wasnt bey the one that busted up his eye the first time? if that was him,hell he still fought threw it to get the win didnt he?
and maybe an overhyped prosject but an over hyped prospect that hasnt lost yet.thats the answer

Verstyle
12-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Alex Ramos
Bobby Czyz
Mitch Green
Carl Williams

i thought about mitch green but he really wasnt a prospect to begin with.although h he took like 7years off after tyson beat him

Yogi
12-04-2006, 09:42 PM
wasnt bey the one that busted up his eye the first time? if that was him,hell he still fought threw it to get the win didnt he?
and maybe an overhyped prosject but an over hyped prospect that hasnt lost yet.thats the answer

Yes, Bey cut Biggs really good over one of his eyes, as well as as beat him up for the majority of the fight. And yes, Biggs won the fight, sure, but very often a simple fight result doesn't tell the whole story of a fight, and this would be one such occasion...

I may have been wrong in interpretating your previous post as to mean Tyson ruined Biggs or something like that, my friend, and all I was saying is that Biggs' stock had dropped a significant amount in the fights leading up to the Tyson fight...At one time when both were still in the early stages of their respective careers (well before even Tyson won his first belt), that fight was looked at as a potential megafight for the heavyweight division down the road, but because of some performances by Biggs, once that fight came off it was not nearly as anticipated as many had thought it would be.

Here's just a couple of quotes;

"BIGGS TITLE SHOT LOST IN BEY BOUT" article heading from the NY Times, Mar 12th, 1987, with the lead in to the story asking "What has happened to Tyrell Biggs?"

Here's a more expansive article on how Biggs' prospects were viewed to have fallen off a whole bunch, which is from the May 15th, 1987 edition of the NY Times;

"The excitement that the thought of this fight (Tyson/Biggs) once created, however, has been greatly undercut because Biggs, though undefeated in 14 fights, seems to have fallen far short of his potential.

While there have been individual bouts, against James (Quick) Tillis and against Jeff Sims, in which Biggs combined the lateral movement and punching effectiveness that hinted at the complete fighter he may be, he has regressed lately.

In his last fight, in March against David Bey, the 26 year-old Biggs stood flat-footed against the relatively immobile Bey and traded punches - a tactic that negated the hit-and-run he was given beforehand.

Bey took advantage, repeatedly landing big punches and opening a cut over Bigg's left eye that would require 32 stitches to close. At times, Bey appeared a punch or two away from forcing the referee, Richard Steele, to halt the bout. Only a courageous rally by Biggs - he stopped Bey in the sixth round - kept him from blowing a fight that was supposed to have been a snap."

That's how I actually remember Biggs' situation at that particluar time, and that memory was of a fighter who was on the downslide and struggling even before he faced Tyson. If my memory from the boxing mags is accurate, and I believe it is, those same exact thoughts were also expressed in abundance in their writings...Biggs no longer came with much hype (and certainly no overhype) when he entered the ring for theTyson bout, or at least not nearly the amount that he had in the earliest portions of his career.

*Note...The May 15th article also says that Biggs had planned to see a psychiatrist by the name of Dr. Joseph Pursch, and it's interesting to read that that is the same exact doctor who had worked with Biggs earlier in his pro career when Biggs had that bad drug problem...Hmm?

Yogi
12-04-2006, 09:45 PM
i thought about mitch green but he really wasnt a prospect to begin with.although h he took like 7years off after tyson beat him

Green did have a little bit of a name as a prospect when he first started out, as I believe he was one of only two or three heavyweights that were part of the "Tomorrow's Champions" that were so often featured on NBC.

Then again, that heavyweight group also included Chris McDonald, so...

Yogi
12-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Bobby Czyz won two world titles so he could hardly be called bust IMO.

And in truth, I'd call him a bit of an overachiever if anything, as he was not even close to being the most touted of that "Tomorrow's Champions" group (Ayala was the most hyped, Ramos & Bumphus were up there too in hype). Yet, I believe he accomplished more (or "much more" in some cases) than any single one of them.

I could pick a few uncomplimentary names to use in describing Czyz, but a "bust" would not be one of them.

Piggu
12-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Audley Harrison had a lot of potential with his Gold Medal win, let's see if he can get back on track.

Animal Squabbs
12-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Audley Harrison is already a bust, and Dominick Guinn, Micheal Grant, Ricardo Williams, Clifford Etienne, Francisco Bojado, Hector Camacho Jr

Verstyle
12-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Green did have a little bit of a name as a prospect when he first started out, as I believe he was one of only two or three heavyweights that were part of the "Tomorrow's Champions" that were so often featured on NBC.

Then again, that heavyweight group also included Chris McDonald, so...

he wasnt a huge prospect. so i dont credit him

Yogi
12-05-2006, 03:53 AM
he wasnt a huge prospect. so i dont credit him

You're right, he wasn't a huge prospect (his career kinda stalled from the beginning), as was the case for the rest of the heavyweights from his amateur class...Green, Tony Tucker, James Broad, Marvis Frazier, McDonald, etc. Generally considered decent prospects overall, but none of them were ever considered the heir to the throne or anything really close to that by the general boxing public.

There was certainly a greater amount of hype for the previous class of heavyweights, that's for sure, with fighters like Gerry Cooney, Greg Page, Michael Dokes, all recieving more than their fair share of hype coming up, and to a lesser extent, even guys Jimmy Clark & Marvin Stinson were talked about some as good pro prospects.

BuddyChacon
12-05-2006, 09:16 AM
And in truth, I'd call him a bit of an overachiever if anything, as he was not even close to being the most touted of that "Tomorrow's Champions" group (Ayala was the most hyped, Ramos & Bumphus were up there too in hype). Yet, I believe he accomplished more (or "much more" in some cases) than any single one of them.

I could pick a few uncomplimentary names to use in describing Czyz, but a "bust" would not be one of them.

Czyz is definately an overachiever and was the least hyped out of the Duva Ice Palace crew. He did the most out of the group, although Bumphus did okay. Ayala was a criminal and the Worm didn't pan out.

Jazzy Paul
12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Francisco Bojado
Engels Pedroza
Micheal Grant

One for the future....Amir Khan...

Welter_Skelter
12-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Francisco Bojado
Engels Pedroza
Micheal Grant

One for the future....Amir Khan...

You took the words right out of my mouth

Piggu
12-05-2006, 10:49 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth

He says he will be a multi-division champion by the time he is 25, and then he will retire at that age.

macman
12-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Marvis Frazier.

Very hyped at one point, trained by George Benton I think, & an excellect up & coming boxer.
Then his old man took over his career, tried to turn him into a slugger, & threw him in against Larry Holmes way way way too early.
Holmes annihilated him.

Still managed to get a big money fight with Tyson years later, mainly because of the famous name, but hadn't improved at all, & Tyson dutifully annihilated him as well.

Dynamite76
12-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Marvis Frazier.

Very hyped at one point, trained by George Benton I think, & an excellect up & coming boxer.
Then his old man took over his career, tried to turn him into a slugger, & threw him in against Larry Holmes way way way too early.
Holmes annihilated him.

Still managed to get a big money fight with Tyson years later, mainly because of the famous name, but hadn't improved at all, & Tyson dutifully annihilated him as well.

Probably was in the wrong division too.Cruiserweight would've been more like it.

Hydro
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Michael Grant, Howard Davis, among others.

The names that come to mind are Francisco Bojado, Ricardo Williams,Jo-El Scott, Danell Nicholson,Dezi Ford. Love to hear more.

Jo-El Scott is not only a waste of talent, but a waste of human life.

Emon723
02-01-2007, 10:42 PM
agreed on panchito bojado, and that cruiserweight, who came from olympics, bennett??

number6
02-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Three recent heavyweights come to mind.Michael Grant,Lawrence Cley Bey and Clifford Etienne.
Also,for the uk fans mainly.Ryan Rhodes at middleweight.

Sir_Jose
02-02-2007, 08:47 PM
How about Andre Ward?

Gold Medal people thought he was the second coming, but a few fights in everybody found out he had ZERO chin now he's fighting on **** cards off TV.

im calling him right now.

Verstyle
02-02-2007, 08:48 PM
How about Andre Ward?

Gold Medal people thought he was the second coming, but a few fights in everybody found out he had ZERO chin now he's fighting on **** cards off TV.

he had some good looking handspeed though

THE REAL NINJA
02-02-2007, 09:14 PM
How about Andre Ward?

He's only had 10 fights so far who knows what he can do if he ever picks up the pace . Don't forget how many other fighters were rocked and or beat that early in their careers . Didn't he go to jail a while back for drug dealing or something anyway ?

brownpimp88
02-02-2007, 09:28 PM
larry Holmes killed the career of many fighters, lol. We should call him the prospect killer.

pokpok
02-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Mark Breland
decent career, but he got incredible ink starting from his amatuer days during the time when boxing was still front page material in the sports section. He was suppose to be a SRL type of superstar. Had some entertaining fights with Starling...thought he would have been spectacular coming out of the olympics....

Dempsey 1919
02-10-2007, 12:42 PM
larry Holmes killed the career of many fighters, lol. We should call him the prospect killer.

Most great fighters are known for that, actually.