View Full Version : the greatest songwriter ever ?

Oasis_Lad
08-21-2006, 09:30 AM
we all have our favourites but who actually wrote the best songs ?

King Koyle
08-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Tough one!I voted for Lennon.But Dylan,Hendrix,Barrett,Mccartney,
Cobain,and many others are also great.

King Koyle
08-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Damn!I forgot Gwen stefani!Hey baby and holla back girl.That's some quality lyric writing :D

jason100x
08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Bob Dylan and Van Morrison. It's a tie for me but I'll vote for Dylan

neils7147933
08-21-2006, 01:18 PM
I like Bob Dylan as an answer. I still wish, though, you included Tupac Shakur as an option.

magicjordan
08-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Barry Gibb And David Gates.

Larry Merchant
08-21-2006, 01:33 PM
xxxxxxxooooooooo

Larry Merchant
08-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Noel Gallgher, Kurt Cobain,Bob Dylan, Elton John ,Beatles,Pete Townsed, Richard Ashcorft :boxing:

Larry Merchant
08-21-2006, 01:36 PM
The Best is Brian Wilson

Oasis_Lad
08-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I like Bob Dylan as an answer. I still wish, though, you included Tupac Shakur as an option.

i hope this is sarcasm

i like tupac as much as the next bloke but to call him one of the greatest songwriters ever is going a bit far

jason100x
08-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Barry Gibb And David Gates.

Actually Barry writes some amazing hooks. David Gates was the man in the early seventies if you wanted to win over the ladies at that time.

!! Anorak
08-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Tough question, need to think on this.

Having McCartney and Lennon as separate options lessens their worth IMO.

(Michael Jackson???)

Hard Boiled HK
08-21-2006, 04:07 PM
wth? I'm the only one who voted for McCartney?

Oasis_Lad
08-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Tough question, need to think on this.

Having McCartney and Lennon as separate options lessens their worth IMO.

(Michael Jackson???)

this is'nt the greatest human ever it is greatest songwriter ever

if jackson did do what he has been acused of then he is a prick

but simply put jackson for a period could only write classics

MetalVomit
08-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Prince, my friends, is the king.

K-DOGG
08-21-2006, 04:19 PM
we all have our favourites but who actually wrote the best songs ?

Two words: Bob Dylan

Oasis_Lad
08-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Two words: Bob Dylan

my favourite and my choice

Scottie2Hottie
08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
bob dylan, john lennon, a couple of my big faves.

Dr.Depravity
08-21-2006, 07:44 PM
I would go with Jim Croce, Jerry Cantrell, Chris Cornell, Prince. (Yes Prince dude has written a ton of songs, alot of hits for other artist too.) Ice Cube Frank Black, Glen Danzig. I could go on and on.

phallus
08-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I would go with Jim Croce, Jerry Cantrell, Chris Cornell, Prince. (Yes Prince dude has written a ton of songs, alot of hits for other artist too.) Ice Cube Frank Black, Glen Danzig. I could go on and on.

Cantrell and Cornell...don't forget Maynard James keenan /adam jones - great music + deep lyrics

jason100x
08-21-2006, 08:21 PM
David Baerwald is my one of my favorite songwriters that barely anyone has ever heard of, although he had a hit with, "Welcome to the Boomtown" as David & David in the mid eighties. Great song and his first two solo albums Bedtime Stories and Triage are masterpieces, but sadly very difficult to find.

The Noose
08-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Cantrell and Cornell...don't forget Maynard James keenan /adam jones - great music + deep lyrics

Thans for getting there first.

I cant stop listening to Maynard. (Tool/ A Perfect Circle).

His lyrics are ****ing amazing. Whether this counts as best song writer or not, i dont know and dont care.

Dr.Depravity
08-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Your right beeatch. But then again you always are. Maynard and Adam = top notch.

08-21-2006, 09:47 PM
You are a man after my own heart. Would you like a kiss?

08-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Thans for getting there first.

I cant stop listening to Maynard. (Tool/ A Perfect Circle).

His lyrics are ****ing amazing. Whether this counts as best song writer or not, i dont know and dont care.
Yeah man. I'm highly addicted as well. I still haven't taken their new cd out of the cd deck in my truck. It might come out for a day but it finds it's way right back in there.

magicjordan
08-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Eric Clapton,billy Joel And Air Supply.

08-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Your right beeatch. But then again you always are. Maynard and Adam = top notch.
I'm ashamed of you. I figured TOOL would be 1 of the first out of your mouth. I don't know what to say. :(

Dr.Depravity
08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm ashamed of you. I figured TOOL would be 1 of the first out of your mouth. I don't know what to say. :(
Im sorry dude... :o I dont know what happend. Maynard is the best. Its a no brainer, so when I used my brain. I got all ****ed up.

phallus
08-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Im sorry dude... :o I dont know what happend. Maynard is the best. Its a no brainer, so when I used my brain. I got all ****ed up.

we forgive u, u can still cum over and **** my sister anytime

08-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Don't talk to me. I thought we was boys. I thought that we was cool like that. Now when I walk the streets and somebody walks up to me and asks if I know Sho-Nuff, I'm just gonna place a bag over my head and hang it with shame. :(

J/King. :D

Dr.Depravity
08-21-2006, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=7001]Don't talk to me. I thought we was boys. I thought that we was cool like that. Now when I walk the streets and somebody walks up to me and asks if I know Sho-Nuff, I'm just gonna place a bag over my head and hang it with shame. :(

I know, I let you down. Let me make it back up to somehow. :thinking:
________

Smashing
08-22-2006, 04:24 AM
Dylan and the beatles.....prolly the best
i think for a modern writer...Eminem deserves a mention...Radiohead aswell

Cletus Funk
08-22-2006, 06:42 AM
Burt Bacharach's worth a mention. His catalogue of songs is ridiculous.

JohnTheMon91
08-22-2006, 08:33 AM
that question depends a lot of what sort of music, Tupac may have been one of the best rap writers.. A lot of guys are good jazz writers (i hate jazz though). Just like Steve Harris is really good at writing heavy metal songs.. depends on your preference

Cletus Funk
08-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Morrissey (The Smiths) & Paul Heaton (Beautiful South/Housemartins) are both clever, lyrically.

Dr.Depravity
08-22-2006, 10:53 PM
we forgive u, u can still cum over and **** my sister anytime
That means alot man.

08-22-2006, 11:05 PM
You little scumbag! I got your name! I got your ass! You will learn by the numbers! I will teach you! Now get up and get on your feet!

phallus
08-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Burt Bacharach's worth a mention. His catalogue of songs is ridiculous.

that commercial he's on for some insurance company is one of the funniest i've ever seen - where he sings while that lady describes her car accident, while burt's singing " i hope i don't get hit, in the reeeear ". i'm ****ing rollin on the floor laughing everytime i see that

another guy worth a mention, definitley not the greatest but, worth a mention is chris corner from sneaker pimps. On their first cd, Becoming X, almost every song had excellent words. some examples:

from Six underground
" don't think cause i understand, i care
don't think cause i'm a talking, we're friends "

from tesko suicide
" Dark lane, bleak house shrinking rose, You're over and out"

"Talk me down, safe and sound
Too strung up to sleep
Wear me out, scream and shout
Swear my time's never cheap
I fake my life like I've lived
Too much, I take whatever you're given
Not enough, "

from post modern sleaze - this one gives me the horn
"She looks ahead, she paints her toe nails red,
She's wet and wild, a typical 90's child,

She makes every move they make,
She takes everything they take,
She must be a Thelma or Louise,
She must be a post-modern sleaze

Unscrew the wine, she'll throw a party line,
Stories extreme, she's such a drama queen,
Cries through the night, she choked on Marlboro lites,
Pure charm and grace, she hates her pretty face,

She makes every move they make,
She takes everything they take,
She must be a Thelma or Louise,
She must be a post-modern sleaze

Straw spun from gold, she craves a tortured soul,
All doom and gloom, she plays an open wound, "

Dr.Depravity
08-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Why don't you watch where your wandering, why don't you watch where your stumbling...This bog is thick and easy to get lost in, cause your dumb ass belligerent ****er! I hope it sucks you down!

08-22-2006, 11:13 PM
**** yourself. You piece of **** why don't you just kill your self.

phallus
08-22-2006, 11:19 PM
**** yourself. You piece of **** why don't you just kill your self.

isn't that from message to hairy manback?

08-22-2006, 11:24 PM
isn't that from message to hairy manback?
No. It's off of Opiate. I can't say what I want to. Even If I'm not serious.

Harry Manback was that recording of the dudes voice saying "I hope you die, ****ing American, I hope you die from cancer."

phallus
08-22-2006, 11:29 PM
No. It's off of Opiate. I can't say what I want to. Even If I'm not serious.

Harry Manback was that recording of the dudes voice saying "I hope you die, ****ing American, I hope you die from cancer."

u're right, i can hear it in my head, now...that's from Hush

08-22-2006, 11:30 PM
u're right, i can hear it in my head, now...that's from Hush
Yeah that's it. I couldn't think of the name.

Dr.Depravity
08-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Maybe I should just play god and shot you myself!

phallus
08-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Maybe I should just play god and shot you myself!

tell him:

" i'll make u famous like Amos
just like the last punk
when i stick a gat up his anus "

Dr.Depravity
08-22-2006, 11:49 PM
"All my friends are rollin' 12 cylinder Benz's with the chrome 20 inches."

j/k

phallus
08-22-2006, 11:57 PM
" Goes down smooth when I get a clean hit
Of the skunky, phunky, smelly green ****"

" i love you, mary jane "

Dr.Depravity
08-23-2006, 12:00 AM
" Goes down smooth when I get a clean hit
Of the skunky, phunky, smelly green ****"

" i love you, mary jane "

Ahh some old Cyprus Hill

Ever hear a glock go click like a camera?

phallus
08-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Ahh some old Cyprus Hill

" it's the slammified buddhafied funk on your discus "

****, those guys make me laugh

phallus
08-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Ahh some old Cyprus Hill

" i'm a chicken hawk looking for a chicken,
better run when u hear the glock clickin "

Smokin'
08-23-2006, 12:11 AM
nasir jones

SonnyG8R
08-23-2006, 02:31 AM
Billy Joel and Jim Croce were very good lyricists, but nobody touches Dylan. John Lennon was also very good, as is Robert Hunter.

The Noose
08-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Bob Dylan: Modern Music Is Rubbish Rolling Stone magazine

"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really. You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them. There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like … static… Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

08-23-2006, 06:51 PM
" i'm a chicken hawk looking for a chicken,
better run when u hear the glock clickin "

Temple of Boom was the best CH cd.

Dr.Depravity
08-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Your honor Im a hafta get rid of ya, cause there aint no trivia, about my flat in west Bolivia I blew the jury a kiss, they rather dismiss than swim with the big fish...****ing guppies.

08-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Take cover pig. Throw ya ass down. How like me now? Mutha ****in rookie passed out. Didn't have to blast him, but I did any way. Ha, Ha that punk had to pay. Here is somethin you can't understand. How I could just kill a man!

the traveler
08-27-2006, 04:25 AM
I actually think that rap lyrics take more work and are harder to write than a lot of rock lyrics. With rap, you've gotta come up with a minimum of at least 48 lines a song if you go 16 a verse. That's a lot harder to me than repeating a few lines 10-20 times during a track.

I don't exactly think that this guy is the greatest songwriter, but I think he's pretty close to being the best thing that I've ever heard lyrically: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=268785

*currently listening to chuckin fillin

Oasis_Lad
08-27-2006, 09:36 AM
I actually think that rap lyrics take more work and are harder to write than a lot of rock lyrics. With rap, you've gotta come up with a minimum of at least 48 lines a song if you go 16 a verse. That's a lot harder to me than repeating a few lines 10-20 times during a track.

I don't exactly think that this guy is the greatest songwriter, but I think he's pretty close to being the best thing that I've ever heard lyrically: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=268785

*currently listening to chuckin fillin

the original lyrics to bob dylan's like a rolling stone had something like 70 verses

and it's reported he would sit at the typewriter for hours
typing non-stop on just one or two songs

and his lyrics are alway top quality

now that's talent!

the traveler
08-27-2006, 01:06 PM
That's him. I was speaking in general terms, of course. Also, you should take into consideration the constraints put on what a rapper can say in each line because of flow.

Oasis_Lad
08-27-2006, 01:19 PM
That's him. I was speaking in general terms, of course. Also, you should take into consideration the constraints put on what a rapper can say in each line because of flow.

of course

i always respected tupac as a lyricist

but no one will come near dylan in my opinion

GunStar
08-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Bob Dylan is very overrated, I personally can't call one person the greatest song writer of all time, because I've seen too many.

The Noose
08-27-2006, 01:29 PM

Alot of rap lyrics tend to just focus on making words ryhme, and end up sounding cliched and nonsensical.

With rock the focus is more on the band and the music, and therefore the lyrics are secondary. They dont have to make sense or be understood.
With rap there is more emphasis on the rapper and wat he is saying.

I think song of the best songs are the simplist. If the lyrics are expressed perfectly in only a few words, then there is no need to go on and on just to fill in the verses.

Oasis_Lad
08-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Bob Dylan is very overrated, I personally can't call one person the greatest song writer of all time, because I've seen too many.

why is he overated ?

GunStar
08-27-2006, 01:36 PM
why is he overated ?Becasue some members of the Beatles thinks he was the greatest song writer of all time and everyone else just likes to agree with the Beatles. I've seen much better writers then this list you have here.

I will never call anyone the greatest song writer of all time, because it's pretty stupid.

Oasis_Lad
08-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Becasue some members of the Beatles thinks he was the greatest song writer of all time and everyone else just likes to agree with the Beatles. I've seen much better writers then this list you have here.

I will never call anyone the greatest song writer of all time, because it's pretty stupid.

remember it;s opinions and everyone will have one

and my opinion is that no one comes close to bob dyaln

he basically averages an album a year in his prime and they were mostly critically praised

he is a revolutionary

whe he played electric at the newport ( i think ) folk festival it is to this day regrded as the most important musical act of the 20th century

his song like a rolling stone is regarded by most as the most important song ever written

his albums blood on the track
blonde on blonde
highway 61 revisited
and the freewheelin' bob dylan regularly appear in all time tip 100 albums list usually the 4 are in the top 30 :eek:

GunStar
08-27-2006, 01:48 PM
remember it;s opinions and everyone will have one

and my opinion is that no one comes close to bob dyaln

he basically averages an album a year in his prime and they were mostly critically praised

he is a revolutionary

whe he played electric at the newport ( i think ) folk festival it is to this day regrded as the most important musical act of the 20th century

his song like a rolling stone is regarded by most as the most important song ever written

his albums blood on the track
blonde on blonde
highway 61 revisited
and the freewheelin' bob dylan regularly appear in all time tip 100 albums list usually the 4 are in the top 30 :eek:Is it because he's known to be the greatest song writer of all time because some of the members of the Beatles think so, is this the reason you think he was the greatest song writer of all time??

Anyway I think he's extremley overrated with his song writing, no offense to his fans, the man can't sing at all, horrible voice!!

Oasis_Lad
08-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Is it because he's known to be the greatest song writer of all time because some of the members of the Beatles think so, is this the reason you think he was the greatest song writer of all time??

Anyway I think he's extremley overrated with his song writing, no offense to his fans, the man can't sing at all, horrible voice!!

not at all

infact i got into dylan through my aunt long before i heard of the beatles

and he blew me away

The Noose
08-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Is it because he's known to be the greatest song writer of all time because some of the members of the Beatles think so, is this the reason you think he was the greatest song writer of all time??

I love his voice. It had character. Most of the vocalists that i like dont have great voices, but u can tell they believe in wat theyre saying.

As for the Beatles influence. I always think of them mentioning Chuck Berry alot.
Bob Dylan words more than his music struck a chord with a whole lotta people.

blockhead
08-27-2006, 04:43 PM
tom waits is the best songwriter ever. then lennon, then dylan, then elliot smith.

JohnDoe8998
08-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Neil Young

"Heart Of Gold"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaBcAwVpDTI

"Harvest Moon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00J3SK4Afog

Oasis_Lad
08-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Neil Young

"Heart Of Gold"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaBcAwVpDTI

"Harvest Moon"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00J3SK4Afog

i love neil young

but young himself admits

dylan is the greatest

Oasis_Lad
09-16-2006, 06:43 AM
there is no one like the beatles or dylan

their quality of songs and output is mind blowing

Smashing
09-16-2006, 09:24 AM
WTF..who voted Jackson...lol

MickyHatton
09-17-2006, 09:33 AM
For me:

John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Mick Jagger
Bob Dylan
Jerry Leiber
Pete Townsend
Brian Wilson
Ray Davies
Jim Morrison
Paul Simon
Bruce Springsteen
Elton John/Bernie Taupin
Chuck Berry
Freddie Mercury/Brian May/John Deacon/Roger Taylor
David Bowie
Sting
Buddy Holly

ATM
09-17-2006, 11:09 AM
All depends on what you're talking about. Lyrically or methodically.

Both are all just opinion so I'll go with Aaron Lewis for lyrically and whoever the hell Deftones lead singer is for methodically.

Oasis_Lad
09-17-2006, 11:34 AM
that question depends a lot of what sort of music, Tupac may have been one of the best rap writers.. A lot of guys are good jazz writers (i hate jazz though). Just like Steve Harris is really good at writing heavy metal songs.. depends on your preference

a good writer trancends genres

just like lennon/mccartney and dylan have done many times

Plat
09-17-2006, 11:48 AM
LOL @ the list being all white...

W

Plat
09-17-2006, 11:49 AM
a good writer trancends genres

So 2pac was not a good songwriter?

OR

Is rap inferior to rock when it comes to songwriting or something?

Oasis_Lad
09-17-2006, 11:53 AM

OR

well the fact is the beatles have at least 5 classic albums

tupac has none!

The Noose
09-17-2006, 03:25 PM

tupac has none!

Yea but rap has only been around for a short time wen compared to rock'n'roll or popular music.

And classic is subjective. Im sure many fans of tupac regard certain albums of his as classic or great.

For me David Bowe made some brilliant music but his stuff is a bit hit and miss.
I think it really comes down to preference and popularity.

Dylans lyrics might not mean anything to alot of younger people, whereas Tupac obviously connects with wat is happening with alot of young people today.

ATM
09-17-2006, 08:43 PM

OR

Modern rap? No doubt about it.

I will say that 2pac did have some good lyrics in most of his music.

Boxclever
09-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Polls closed but i'd have gone for Dylan out of those. Burt Bacherach might be worth a mention? :cool:

phallus
09-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Polls closed but i'd have gone for Dylan out of those. Burt Bacherach might be worth a mention? :cool:

yes, burt has written many classic tunes like this one:
" i hope i don't get hit, in the reeeeaaaar "

the traveler
09-21-2006, 04:57 PM

tupac has none!

Since when did opinions suddenly become facts? Like Bobby Peru said, it's subjective. Tupac definetly has classic albums. Infact all of his albums prior to his death are considered classic.

I can't knock this list because I personally haven't studied any of these guys music, but I'm definetly sure that you haven't studied any rap lyrics in depth. I really think Tupac has to be considered very high in this conversation for the way that he was able to articulate.. the way he was able to inspire and the way he was able to express emphaty in his verses. Here's a verse that demonstrates this:

[2Pac]
Now here's a story bout a woman with dreams
So picture perfect at thirteen, an ebony queen
Beneath the surface it was more than just a crooked smile
Nobody knew about her secret so it took a while
I could see a tear fall slow down her black cheek
Sheddin quiet tears in the back seat; so when she asked me,
"What would you do if it was you?"
Couldn't answer such a horrible pain to live through
I tried to trade places in the tragedy
I couldn't picture three crazed n!ggaz grabbin me
For just a moment I was trapped in the pain, 'Lord come and take me
Four n!ggaz violated, they chased and they raped me'
Even though it wasn't me, I could feel the grief
Thinkin with your brains blown what would make the pain go?
No! You got to find a way to survive
cause they win when your soul dies

Plat
09-24-2006, 06:12 AM
2pac has no classic albums? LMFAO @ you, that is some funny sh**...I am not bashing the Beatles, Bob Dylan or anybody here, they ARE sure-fire legends but you also can't deny 2pac's greatness with the pen and his influence. Also, shouldn't Bob Marley be on this list?

Oasis_Lad
09-24-2006, 11:31 AM
again i like 2pac and i love bob marley

but they just did'nt have the sort of output the beatles or dylan had

Boxclever
09-24-2006, 03:45 PM
again i like 2pac and i love bob marley

but they just did'nt have the sort of output the beatles or dylan had

i'd have to go along with that, depends what you view as classic i suppose.

jai mari078
10-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Prince, my friends, is the king.

GodzHands your right PRINCE is the man, and I agree with everyone elses input as well. People may not agree with me here, but Trent Reznor is bad ass as well. Not only is he a tremendous writer but he has to be on of the most musically gifted individuals ever.

jai mari078
10-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Morrissey (The Smiths) & Paul Heaton (Beautiful South/Housemartins) are both clever, lyrically.

Morissey is the ****.