View Full Version : Top 10 sluggers?

NJFighter91
08-19-2006, 01:58 AM
What is your top 10 slugger of all time list? I don't know mine so I can't really post.

sleazyfellow
08-19-2006, 02:10 AM
1. tyson in his prime
2. frazier
3. foreman
4. liston
5. marciano
6. dempsy
7. shavers
lol thats all i can think of right now, i havent really thought it out, but the first 2 i wouldnt change...

NJFighter91
08-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Weren't Tyson, Marciano, Dempsey more of brawlers than sluggers?

sleazyfellow
08-19-2006, 02:22 AM
brawler...swarmer? i thought a slugger just meant sumone who put almost everything into the punches, and thats what those did..

NJFighter91
08-19-2006, 02:33 AM
I thought slugger was like Shavers, Foreman and brawlers were Marciano, Tyson who were combo and fast good.

JuicyJuice
08-19-2006, 02:52 AM
Nigel Benn was a super-slugger, until he calmed down abit.

hemichromis
08-19-2006, 04:27 AM
foreman was the epitome of slugger!

i dont know if i count tyson as a slugger he threw fast combos and showed good skills and speed which arent traditionally slugger traits

TheGreat1
08-19-2006, 04:57 AM
in no order

Foreman
Holyfield
Frazier
Corralas
Hagler
JC Chavez
Brewster
Hearns
Tyson

leff
08-19-2006, 06:30 AM
liston was by no means a slugger

Yaman
08-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Tyson, Liston or even Frazier shouldn't be called Sluggers. they were a lot more technical. I'll start off a list of sluggers.

1-George Foreman
2-The late Gerald Mcclellan
3-Early Nigel Benn
4-Earnie Shavers
5-Thomas Hearns if he WANTED to slug.
6-Rocky Marciano
7-David Tua
8-Jack Dempsey
9-Razor Ruddock
10-Maybe Ibeabuchi

Chin is very important for slugger to be good. Speed and agility aswell. George Foreman had a chin and power punching ability. If he had the same heart as after Ali...Marciano could slug and had heart, but he was a bit slower and couldnt put many combos together.

leff
08-19-2006, 08:58 AM
tyson and frazier was what you can define as slugger-swarmers

Yaman
08-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Tyson was definitely a Slugger after the Spinks fight. Maybe one of the bets sluggers ever when he fought Ruddock.

Frazier was just too skilled to be a stereotype slugger.

leff
08-19-2006, 09:33 AM
frazier was a swarmer-slugger, and i dont get this with "to skilled to be a slugger".

by all means its possibel to be a skilled slugger

Kid Canada
08-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Ron Lyle has to be on the list somewhere.

sleazyfellow
08-19-2006, 12:54 PM
frazier was a swarmer-slugger, and i dont get this with "to skilled to be a slugger".

by all means its possibel to be a skilled slugger

exactly, thats why i mentioned tyson, call it stamina problems or whatever, but he couldnt punch after 8-9 rounds but mayb in his prime, every punch he threw was a knockout punch, and frazier is definetely a slugger, if u ever saw him fight look the way he throws his left...if he misses he look horrible but u can see how much he puts into it, just diffrence with tyson is that he was more like marciano as the fight went on, got better after the feeling out of his opponent

hemichromis
08-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Ron Lyle has to be on the list somewhere.

definately!! up their with foreman

most dangerous sluggers

1. foreman
2. shavers
3. lyle
4. tyson although i dont really know ho to classify him
5. tommy morrison Is he a slugger or boxer-puncher
6. razer ruddock same as above

rocky and dempsey should be up there if you classify them as sluggers, i dont!

Kid Achilles
08-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Max Baer, David Tua, Bob Satterfield (though he had skill...) all belong here.

Hard Boiled HK
08-19-2006, 07:10 PM
George Foreman - the ultimate slugger.

Dye
08-19-2006, 07:38 PM
definately!! up their with foreman

most dangerous sluggers

1. foreman
2. shavers
3. lyle
4. tyson although i dont really know ho to classify him
5. tommy morrison Is he a slugger or boxer-puncher
6. razer ruddock same as above

rocky and dempsey should be up there if you classify them as sluggers, i dont!
i think you could classify Morrison both i have seen him box and just slug, Ruddock i think he is both aswell

Crazy Dude
08-20-2006, 04:43 PM
These classifications are kind of nebulous. To be a great fighter you need to be able to do more than slug. Foreman is the only great fighter I can think of who is a pure slugger.

Yaman
08-21-2006, 08:33 AM
These classifications are kind of nebulous. To be a great fighter you need to be able to do more than slug. Foreman is the only great fighter I can think of who is a pure slugger.

Yeah, thats what im saying. Frazier was by no means a slugger. He could do it all.

hemichromis
08-21-2006, 09:36 AM

thats probably true even shavers and lyle tended to box a little bit
foreman was the only one with the combination of power chin and aggression to be successful as a pure slugger

Southpaw Stinger
08-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Foreman is the best slugger. Other fighters tended to mix both swarming and slugging, Foreman is one of the only great guys who was 100% slugger.

King Koyle
08-21-2006, 03:43 PM
In no order.

1.Earnie Shavers
2.Rocky Marciano
3.Mike Tyson
4.George Foreman
5.Thomas Hearns
6.Aaron Pryor
7.Archie Moore
8.Joe Louis
9.Tommy Morrison
10.John Sullivan

leff
08-28-2006, 08:57 PM
In no order.

1.Earnie Shavers
2.Rocky Marciano
3.Mike Tyson
4.George Foreman
5.Thomas Hearns
6.Aaron Pryor
7.Archie Moore
8.Joe Louis
9.Tommy Morrison
10.John Sullivan

louis a slugger :eek:

he was probaly the msot technical hw ever

Dye
08-28-2006, 09:01 PM
In no order.

1.Earnie Shavers
2.Rocky Marciano
3.Mike Tyson
4.George Foreman
5.Thomas Hearns
6.Aaron Pryor
7.Archie Moore
8.Joe Louis
9.Tommy Morrison
10.John Sullivan
duke.duke.duke

phallus
08-28-2006, 10:47 PM
In no order.

1.Earnie Shavers
2.Rocky Marciano
3.Mike Tyson
4.George Foreman
5.Thomas Hearns
6.Aaron Pryor
7.Archie Moore
8.Joe Louis
9.Tommy Morrison
10.John Sullivan

joe louis was the greatest boxer - puncher that ever lived, he threw combinations with beautiful technique. he should be at the top of different list

King Koyle
08-29-2006, 11:05 AM
louis a slugger :eek:

he was probaly the msot technical hw ever

Maybe putting him in the top ten was a little stretch.But only a little one!I agree that he was a great technical fighter.Which made his power all the more dangerous IMO.The man had power that could turn a fight around at any point(see Conn fight).He had fifty-five knockouts in sixty-nine wins.He failed to knockout some journeymen.So I certainly see your point!But he did knockout guys like Billy Conn(twice),Joe Walcott,Max Schelming,Max Baer,Buddy Baer,Jim Braddock,Jack Sharkey,and Primo Carnera(Big deal right :D ).

King Koyle
08-29-2006, 11:25 AM
duke.duke.duke

Got to have the duke in there ;)

hemichromis
08-29-2006, 03:28 PM
joe louis had everything:

speed power acuracy intelligence chin and heart but he was no slugger, the term boxer-puncher fits him best

Yaman
08-29-2006, 04:36 PM
David Tua outslugs just about anyone except for a few.

I just think he deserves respect for something. He was gifted. And slugging was his thing.

You guys should count him in this list aswell :)

leff
08-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Maybe putting him in the top ten was a little stretch.But only a little one!I agree that he was a great technical fighter.Which made his power all the more dangerous IMO.The man had power that could turn a fight around at any point(see Conn fight).He had fifty-five knockouts in sixty-nine wins.He failed to knockout some journeymen.So I certainly see your point!But he did knockout guys like Billy Conn(twice),Joe Walcott,Max Schelming,Max Baer,Buddy Baer,Jim Braddock,Jack Sharkey,and Primo Carnera(Big deal right :D ).

you dont get it, he aint a slugger just cause he hit hard, slugger is a style.

King Koyle
08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
you dont get it, he aint a slugger just cause he hit hard, slugger is a style.

You don't get it!Different people have different views on what a slugger is.In my eyes,someone who hits hard could be defined as a slugger.That makes sense to me!The title of the thread says slugger not brawler.People will have different interpretations of that.All i've been seeing is you analying everyone else's lists.And adding your two cents.Make a list or shut up!Your opinion means nothing to me.

Brockton Lip
08-30-2006, 01:23 PM
A slugger isn't someone who you have defined. A different view on it doesn't make it right. 2+2 equals 37; all because I say it doesn't make it correct.

King Koyle
08-30-2006, 01:42 PM
A slugger isn't someone who you have defined. A different view on it doesn't make it right. 2+2 equals 37; all because I say it doesn't make it correct.

Are you talking to me or Leff?Or both?

Brockton Lip
08-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Oh lol. You.

King Koyle
08-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh lol. You.

You said a different view on it doesn't make it right.Yet your saying that his and your view is the correct one.Does this rule only apply to me?I'll say it once more!I see his point in a slugger being a style.But I also think of a slugger as someone who can punch.If you can't understand that,OK!But it's my opinion.

hemichromis
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
You said a different view on it doesn't make it right.Yet your saying that his and your view is the correct one.Does this rule only apply to me?I'll say it once more!I see his point in a slugger being a style.But I also think of a slugger as someone who can punch.If you can't understand that,OK!But it's my opinion.

Joe louis WAS NOT a slugger!!! end of!!

King Koyle
08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Slugger(As defined in websters international dictionary)-One that strikes hard or with heavy blows.A.A prizefighter that punches hard but uses little defense(well you certainly have me there).My point being that were both right.A slugger is looked at in different ways.When I read the title,I thought of hard punchers as being sluggers.Which is only partialy correct.there is also the style factor even more so.We disagreed,but don't make it sound like my arguments had no basis.Just because it's your opinion(Chum)it doesn't make you automatically correct.

King Koyle
08-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Joe louis WAS NOT a slugger!!! end of!!

Read the below statement!End of it :rolleyes:

Yaman
08-30-2006, 02:55 PM
David Tua is the 3th best slugger ever. After Foreman and 91/Tyson.

King Koyle
08-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Before anyone else wants to come team up on good old Mass Pride.Let me just repeat what I said in a post earler.When I orginally saw the word slugger in the title.I thought of hard punchers.Which was half wrong!My bad!Nothing personal!

The Noose
08-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Slugger(As defined in websters international dictionary)-One that strikes hard or with heavy blows.A.A prizefighter that punches hard but uses little defense

By that definition I dont think that Hearns or Louis apply. They were both boxers first with good defences and great punchers. They could slug, but werent sluggers.

Foreman- definatly
Tua
Frazier - IMO yes, he wasnt a boxer. His style was to keep coming forward and throwing hard shots.
Marciano- definatly

Gatti - id say yes, although he could box, he often resorted to slugging it out.
Bobby Chacon - From wat ive seen of him, he also liked to slug.

What about Hatton?
Or Duran? Although technically great, he loved to just fight.

Southpaw Stinger
08-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Frazier - IMO yes, he wasnt a boxer. His style was to keep coming forward and throwing hard shots.
Marciano- definatly

They should be counted more as swarmers rather than sluggers. Their defences were underated.