View Full Version : tyson was probably the best that ever lived

realheavyhands
08-13-2006, 10:43 PM
i really belive tyson was the best that ever lived till before he fought rudduck, altho he already started the transition from a boxer to a puncher. tyson was really a master boxer who beat his opponets with speed and defense what made him special was how he held his left hand high which made his jab and hook even more powerful as a boxer and still could use his feet very well. i fell tyson only reached abour 75-80 percent of what he could of been. he never even started learining the tricks and counter punching of a boxer , all he really had was the base and great fundementals before he started not using them. if he would of kept that base of a boxer and added a nice counter right hand with his movement and relaxed more in the ring theres no telling how good he could of been. there have never been hands that fast that carried that much power from a boxer not a puncher, tyson was a boxer who could extend his punches like a rubber band. from seeing what he did to holmes and in my opinion his skills already were detieriating and homes was better at 38 then most think and tyson took him out in 4 rounds. holmes also claimes his prime was 33 years old becuase of his late start. a dancing holmes and dancing ali would of stood the best chance . and truth be told to dance you have to have a great jab and holmes was better then ali's and they wouldnt of been able to keep tyson at bay. tyrell biggs did a hell of an imatation as did tony tucker and those fights wernt even close.. lennox lewis would of been way too slow for tyson. if tyson learned the tricks and used his legs and moved in and out he could of beat foreman easliy , what happened was tyson became a bully that only care about power and all his other skills eroded if he kept his base as the best fundamental heavyweight of all time and learned the trick and leg movement he would still be champion now. which is amazing for a man standing 5'10

NJFighter91
08-13-2006, 10:50 PM
He wasn't the best. That's it. He fought average opponents. He could have been the best with a few more years with Cus. If cus was alive maybe 4-5 more years, then I believe Tyson would've broken Marciano's record and become the best boxer in history. But he didn't. He was badly influenced by Don King and this is while Givens is making him crazy.

He had the potential to become the best but he wasn't the best.

realheavyhands
08-13-2006, 10:54 PM
He wasn't the best. That's it. He fought average opponents. He could have been the best with a few more years with Cus. If cus was alive maybe 4-5 more years, then I believe Tyson would've broken Marciano's record and become the best boxer in history. But he didn't. He was abdly influenced by Don King and this is while Givens is making him crazy.

careerwise you may be right but there was a point where, i dont think anybody could of beat him. but i guess we'll never know

NJFighter91
08-13-2006, 11:01 PM
careerwise you may be right but there was a point where, i dont think anybody could of beat him. but i guess we'll never knowYeah I know what you mean. Trust me, I'm one of the biggest Tyson fans ever. I don't think during his career, he was the best, but he had the potential to become the best ever.

LOLORSKATES
08-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Okay this is what my coach says about Tyson..."Tyson was just a bully and every single bully that i've seen after getting cracked on the jaw will stay down, i would give Tyson credit if he rose to the occassion and went out like a warrior, but he didn't do that."

NJFighter91
08-13-2006, 11:12 PM
The thing most people don't understand is he didn't know right from wrong. He just know he had to do something and would do it either way. He had no morals whatsoever; all he knew was that he had to survive. It was easy to steer him anyway because he had no one to guide him. While living with Cus and Atlas, if he did something wrong, they would say; no, don't do that, get back on track. After Rooney was fired and Cus died and he got into Don King and Robin Givens, no one stopped him. No one pushed him.

Verstyle
08-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Okay this is what my coach says about Tyson..."Tyson was just a bully and every single bully that i've seen after getting cracked on the jaw will stay down, i would give Tyson credit if he rose to the occassion and went out like a warrior, but he didn't do that."

he was gettin hit in the jaw vs. ruddock and still won both fights. tell your coach that and see what he says. bet he'll be speachless for a good second

Hard Boiled HK
08-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Why did he fire Rooney?

NJFighter91
08-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Why did he fire Rooney?Don King told him to :frown:

He wanted Tyson to be working with different people and I'm pretty sure he brought the race card up and how Tyson was managed and stuff by white guys.

realheavyhands
08-13-2006, 11:36 PM
because he felt rooney was getting all his credit.tyson had the mentality of a little boy. how can you ever be a man if when your a boy your already the baddest man on the planet, what do you have as a man to conquer, i dont blame tyson at all for what has happened to him , in my eyes hes still a sucess story , tyson is extrmemly smart and he said it best when if you look back on him 20 years from now youll say"wasnt that a bizarre individual"

NJFighter91
08-13-2006, 11:39 PM
when if you look back on him 20 years from now youll say"wasnt that a bizarre individual"Hell yeah. The first thing I show my kids and grandkids on tv is gonna be the Tyson-Berbick fight. :boxing:

Verstyle
u guys r wrong,well not wrong but thats not the main reason. the reason is cause rooney was becoming more of a father figure to tyson and tyson didnt like that, the only father figure to him was cus

realheavyhands
Don King told him to :frown:

He wanted Tyson to be working with different people and I'm pretty sure he brought the race card up and how Tyson was managed and stuff by white guys.
thats true too. don king tricked him told they were both urchants of the ghetto. he wanted tyson for himself and for all money to go through him. altho tyson was smart he was extrmemly nieve.

realheavyhands
08-13-2006, 11:44 PM
u guys r wrong,well not wrong but thats not the main reason. the reason is cause rooney was becoming more of a father figure to tyson and tyson didnt like that, the only father figure to him was cus
thats true too if you look at tyson in every interview with rooney he couldnt stand when rooney spoke. even in the mike johnson fight when he was only 8-0 , he just didnt like rooney, if cus kept atlas around i bet tyson would of been better off

NJFighter91
08-13-2006, 11:49 PM
True. I remember I read in one of Tyson's biography's that he didn't like Rooney interfering with his life. That was the main reason, then probably Don.

Hard Boiled HK
08-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Did Rooney take a lot of his money? Is that one of the reasons why he fired him besides listening to Don King?

NJFighter91
08-13-2006, 11:57 PM
I don't think so.

realheavyhands
08-14-2006, 12:08 AM
he just didnt like rooney ,rooney was ****y and he didnt like how he spoke, tyson used to speak very articulent, when he was young in a boy mentality, but pay backs a "mother ****er" and he wouldnt blow that ****.once jim jacobs past away it was over tyson loved jacobs too

Verstyle
08-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Did Rooney take a lot of his money? Is that one of the reasons why he fired him besides listening to Don King?

no only 10% and he still does that. not alot of trainers take only 10%

hellfire508
08-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Best that ever lived? Please! If you said best heavyweight, I would accept that (even though I disagree), but best ever? God no.

What about your Durans, Peps, Charles', Armstrongs, Robinsons...?

NJFighter91
08-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Best that ever lived? Please! If you said best heavyweight, I would accept that (even though I disagree), but best ever? God no.

What about your Durans, Peps, Charles', Armstrongs, Robinsons...?That's true. I don't think you could ever say best boxer unless you go by best boxer in each weight class.

Heckler
08-14-2006, 03:39 AM
Tyson couldve been the best, but he definately wasn't the best. He never developed the inside fighting skills, nor did he have the experience and intangibles in his 'prime' as a very young man... in 88 he was at his best but still very green in a mental sense. If he stayed on the straight and narrow he could've refined his skills, developed his ring craft and the mental toughness required to persevere and suceed against a higher level of competition. Even at his best he could've given many a great a very hard time, and beat a few... but coulda, shoulda, woulda... he didn't become as great as he should've and its a shame.

MexicanWarrior
08-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Tyson was gifted, but he is by far not the best ever....
his size, and mental unstability keept him from it, Ali is the greatest by far

NJFighter91
08-14-2006, 03:49 AM
Yep, all true. He wasn't the best careerwise but had the ability to fight tougher opponents. He also had potential if Cus was still alive. I agree Atlas was a good trainer but with Cus alive, Tyson would've still done good with another trainer.

If Cus was alive a few more years, he would've taught Tyson the rest of his boxing skills and perfected him and taught his good human qualities. IMO, the main factor that stopped Tyson from unlocking his potential and becomeing the best was Cus's death. Without that, I believe Tyson would become the best boxer in history breaking marciano's record and be the best ever.

Yaman
08-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Potential to become the greatest. We've seen a lot of guys like him who never made it that far.
Who cares. Theres still millions of people in the world that consider Mike te greatest. So im happy :)

The Noose
08-14-2006, 11:15 AM
It is totally impossible to say he was the best. Or even greatest.
At his best he needed a real challenge. He needed a very good opponent like a Holyfield or Lewis to defeat and prove wat he was made of.

Dempsy - Willard, Marciano - Walcott, Ali - Liston, Ali - Foreman, Louis - Schmelling, Louis - Walcott...etc.

Tyson - ??????.

NJFighter91
08-14-2006, 11:27 AM
It is totally impossible to say he was the best. Or even greatest.
At his best he needed a real challenge. He needed a very good opponent like a Holyfield or Lewis to defeat and prove wat he was made of.

Dempsy - Willard, Marciano - Walcott, Ali - Liston, Ali - Foreman, Louis - Schmelling, Louis - Walcott...etc.

Tyson - ??????.The thing with those were, that wasn't Tyson in his prime.

Southpaw Stinger
08-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Theres still millions of people in the world that consider Mike te greatest.

yeah but most of them are safely in padded cells where they belong!

Yaman
08-14-2006, 02:31 PM
yeah but most of them are safely in padded cells where they belong!

Not really. Tyson nuthuggers are everywhere.

Hard Boiled HK
08-14-2006, 04:39 PM
I think there are more Ali nuthuggers though.

The Noose
08-14-2006, 06:00 PM
The thing with those were, that wasn't Tyson in his prime.

That was wat i meant. He needed those fights to happen wen he was still at his best.
I believe he would have defeated both, but many people disagree.

Southpaw Stinger
08-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Not really. Tyson nuthuggers are everywhere.

Tell me about, theres some at every street corner. They're never boxing fans though only Tyson fans.

mgkirkpatrick
08-16-2006, 09:07 AM
people people people... tyson fired rooney because one time when tyson did some of his usual ****.. forget what rooney tried to scare him straight. he got him alone in the gym and put a gun to his head and said **** up again and im gonna blow your brains out. tyson fired him teh next day. thats real.

mgkirkpatrick
08-16-2006, 09:09 AM
for the record im of the frame of mind that on potential he was the best ever. and at his peak he could have beaten ne one. however there is no way u can call him the best ever.

hellfire508
08-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Mike Tyson with the heart of Evander Holyfield would have been... almost unstoppable. He had endless potential, just didn't have the heart to back it up.

Nonetheless, that's like saying, imagine Ali with Foreman's power.

catskills23
08-16-2006, 09:26 AM
people people people... tyson fired rooney because one time when tyson did some of his usual ****.. forget what rooney tried to scare him straight. he got him alone in the gym and put a gun to his head and said **** up again and im gonna blow your brains out. tyson fired him teh next day. thats real.

i think your getting rooney mixed up with teddy atlas.

Smokin'
08-16-2006, 11:53 AM
This is funny. Don't you guys notice how Tyson's career is always surrounded by IF's..If this, if that.

Maybe IF I took a **** every day when I woke up I would be able to lose more weight and become a flyweight champion.

The Noose
08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
oh yea!!!!

mgkirkpatrick
08-17-2006, 02:38 AM

haha ok you're probably right. my bad. i think.

NJFighter91
08-17-2006, 03:07 PM
That's true Smokin'. There's too many if's. But to answer the thread starters question...No, he wasn't the best boxer ever, I doubt he could be top 10.

Dempsey 1919
08-18-2006, 02:22 AM
tyson was a great fighter, but far from the best.

realheavyhands
08-18-2006, 04:57 PM
tyson was a great fighter, but far from the best.
if tyson was right handed and not converted he would of been the greatest.

PATO 1
01-11-2007, 12:43 PM
haha get the **** outta here

micky_knox
01-11-2007, 12:54 PM
tyson will rightly go down as one of the best,but not THE best

Dempsey 1919
01-12-2007, 01:02 AM
if tyson was right handed and not converted he would of been the greatest.

Actually, him being a converted southpaw was a plus for Tyson, because it gave more power in both hands.

Brassangel
01-13-2007, 12:50 AM
This is true.

He had dangerous power in both hands, which was a rarity for other fighters of his style.

He was not the best, however. Heart was the key piece lacking, especially after he won his first championship, which is why he will stay between 10-12 or so on many a critical list.

Kid Achilles
01-13-2007, 02:17 AM
tyson was probably the best that ever lived

Like anyone could know that.

http://www.funtalking.com/images/wallpaper_kiphead.jpg

Verstyle
01-13-2007, 02:21 AM
ali was the best in my opinion

Piggu
01-13-2007, 02:27 AM
ali was the best in my opinion
Where do you rank Robinson?

Verstyle
01-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Where do you rank Robinson?

i really dont know.i liked the opposition ali faced and i havnt seen enough of robinson to make a valid answer to that

GREVISS
01-16-2007, 12:40 AM
no where near in my opinion, sure he had the power and potential,
but thats nothing without the mental, and we all know tyson is a
weak minded individual, he continuously makes poor descisions...
in order to be a warrior you have to be strong in mind and body
he only ever had the body part of that...

BmoreBrawler
01-16-2007, 01:07 AM
I agree, skill-wise in his prime and considering the physical deficits like height that he had to overcome he was the most talented heavyweight ever. However, you cant really call him the greatest seeing as he hasnt really proven himself.

Verstyle
01-16-2007, 01:15 AM
his performance against berbick is something ive never seen to date

The Noose
01-16-2007, 03:10 PM
his performance against berbick is something ive never seen to date

Are u just talking about Tyson?
The first thing i thought of was Louis - Scmelling 2. Or Liston - Patterson.
Or do u mean SINCE Tyson - Berbick there hasnt been a devastating heavyweight title change of hands?

EsB818
01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
The reason Tyson supposedly fired Rooney was that Rooney made comments about Tyson's personal life to the press pertaining his relationship with Robin Givens among other things. However, I think Don King and co. really pushed Tyson to fire Rooney and planted things in Tyson's head to effectuate it. Tyson had promised to let Rooney "train him for his entire professional career" and when Tyson fired him, Rooney brought suit in court to enforce this oral agreement. However since there was no written agreement the judge declared this agreement an "at will contract" that Tyson was allowed to end at any time he wanted and Rooney lost the suit.

Verstyle
01-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Are u just talking about Tyson?
The first thing i thought of was Louis - Scmelling 2. Or Liston - Patterson.
Or do u mean SINCE Tyson - Berbick there hasnt been a devastating heavyweight title change of hands?

yeah tyson. i just loved his performance. very little bobbing and weaving combos that he didnt do since that fight,nice in close compact punches. he just went in and practically said"this is my title *****"ahaha.and took that **** like a 15 year old taking a lunch from a 5year old.

Yogi
01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
When he defeated Berbick, Tyson's just lucky that he was fighting a man who was fighting at his minimum capacity.

The Surgeon
01-16-2007, 03:55 PM
When he defeated Berbick, Tyson's just lucky that he was fighting a man who was fighting at his minimum capacity.

Nah Yogi, ANYONE would hav had a real tough time with Tyson that night, I dont care who they were

Verstyle
01-16-2007, 03:56 PM

i dont care about that. what i care about is HIS performance. and berbick TRIED going toe to toe so he tried

Yogi
01-16-2007, 04:22 PM
i dont care about that.

Of course you don't care about that, because we all know that it's only Tyson's "excuses" that can be focused on when discussing fights that took place throughout his career.

Verstyle
01-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Of course you don't care about that, because we all know that it's only Tyson's "excuses" that can be focused on when discussing fights that took place throughout his career.

huh?? tyson's excuses. didnt he win that fight? ahaha. what topic r u talking about. it should be berbick with the excuses on losing. im only talking about this fight. where u going with this.ahaha

Yogi
01-16-2007, 04:35 PM
huh?? tyson's excuses. didnt he win that fight? ahaha. what topic r u talking about. it should be berbick with the excuses on losing. im only talking about this fight. where u going with this.ahaha

Here, in simplified terms;

I made a point of saying Tyson was fighting a depleted version of Berbick, which you came back to say "I don't care about that", which prompted that previous response from me that you can't seem to understand.

Verstyle
01-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Here, in simplified terms;

I made a point of saying Tyson was fighting a depleted version of Berbick, which you came back to say "I don't care about that", which prompted that previous response from me that you can't seem to understand.

sorry meany...:confused: but ne way. i was just commenting on his performance thats all. he coulda been fighting a 80s ali. i just liked the way he did his thing that day.and u turned it into something else. thats all i was saying.nothing more nothing less.

Yogi
01-16-2007, 05:51 PM
sorry meany...:confused:

:puppy_dog

K-DOGG
01-16-2007, 07:35 PM
:puppy_dog

:rofl: LOL!!!!!!! :lol1:

*phew* Sorry...that whole "meany" thing and your reaction just tickled my funny bone. :)

Meany...lol!!

Jim_Davis
01-16-2007, 08:10 PM

I second this

Mike Tyson77
01-16-2007, 09:50 PM
I love Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, and tons of others. I could talk all day about any of those great champs, but Tyson is special.

When I tell people Tyson is the greatest, they ask why. Ill tell you why, because if it wasnt for Tyson I wouldnt be talking about Boxing right now or even posting this reply. I jumped on the Tyson bandwagon 20 years too late as one of my friends put it. I have been a Tyson fan since Novmeber 2005 and now Im completely obcessed with Boxing. I never thought any sport could be better than football, boy was I dead wrong. Tyson gave me this GREAT sport and I owe him and love him for that. I just hope he can find peace in his life and hope I can thank him one day for giving me this truly awesome sport.

hemichromis
01-17-2007, 03:12 AM
I love Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, and tons of others. I could talk all day about any of those great champs, but Tyson is special.

When I tell people Tyson is the greatest, they ask why. Ill tell you why, because if it wasnt for Tyson I wouldnt be talking about Boxing right now or even posting this reply. I jumped on the Tyson bandwagon 20 years too late as one of my friends put it. I have been a Tyson fan since Novmeber 2005 and now Im completely obcessed with Boxing. I never thought any sport could be better than football, boy was I dead wrong. Tyson gave me this GREAT sport and I owe him and love him for that. I just hope he can find peace in his life and hope I can thank him one day for giving me this truly awesome sport.

fair enough!
alot of older people would say the same about ali

a few EVEN older people would say the same about louis

Dempsey 1919
01-17-2007, 03:17 AM
fair enough!
alot of older people would say the same about ali

a few EVEN older people would say the same about louis

Very true.

The Noose
01-17-2007, 07:21 AM

Thats cool, but the trouble with u saying Tyson is the greatest suggests u believe he was the greatest boxer ever. Which to anyone who is a real boxing fan sounds like u are just a Tyson fan, not a true boxing fan.
Tyson is special to u personally, but to be a real boxing fan means u have to try to be unbiased.

Verstyle
01-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Thats cool, but the trouble with u saying Tyson is the greatest suggests u believe he was the greatest boxer ever. Which to anyone who is a real boxing fan sounds like u are just a Tyson fan, not a true boxing fan.
Tyson is special to u personally, but to be a real boxing fan means u have to try to be unbiased.

if hes seen mostly tyson how can u fault him. its his opinion,u guys have a hard time dealing with other ppls opinions. why rate some1 u heardly seen at the greatest boxer ever if he wasnt an inspiration to u or u really did see him box that much. if u do that and go with the other guy your just a follower and i can see he wants the leader role.

The Noose
01-17-2007, 03:16 PM
if hes seen mostly tyson how can u fault him. its his opinion,u guys have a hard time dealing with other ppls opinions. why rate some1 u heardly seen at the greatest boxer ever if he wasnt an inspiration to u or u really did see him box that much. if u do that and go with the other guy your just a follower and i can see he wants the leader role.

I wasnt having a go at him. Just trying to say there is a difference between a fighter who is ur inspiration and THE greatest (watever that may mean to them). Maybe he meant Tyson is the greatest fighter he has ever seen, which is fine.

I dont have a problem with anyones opinion, but if somone has seen only one fighter, how can he say they were the greatest??
Boxing is historical. Where there is little or no footage of a fighter u can only rely on their record and eye witness accounts. Thats the point of a fight record, so u can trace who they fought, and how good their oppostion was.

I never attempt making a best heavyweight top ten, as i dont know enough about Johnson, Tunney, Dempsey, to make an accurate asessment of how good they were.

Verstyle
01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
I wasnt having a go at him. Just trying to say there is a difference between a fighter who is ur inspiration and THE greatest (watever that may mean to them). Maybe he meant Tyson is the greatest fighter he has ever seen, which is fine.

I dont have a problem with anyones opinion, but if somone has seen only one fighter, how can he say they were the greatest??
Boxing is historical. Where there is little or no footage of a fighter u can only rely on their record and eye witness accounts. Thats the point of a fight record, so u can trace who they fought, and how good their oppostion was.

I never attempt making a best heavyweight top ten, as i dont know enough about Johnson, Tunney, Dempsey, to make an accurate asessment of how good they were.

exactly. but like i said if mostly he just saw him why fault him on his beliefs is all im saying

The Noose
01-17-2007, 03:26 PM
exactly. but like i said if mostly he just saw him why fault him on his beliefs is all im saying

And all im saying is if the only fight I ever saw was Buster Douglas beating Tyson, i could say Douglas is the greatest?

I dont think so.

Verstyle
01-17-2007, 03:31 PM
And all im saying is if the only fight I ever saw was Buster Douglas beating Tyson, i could say Douglas is the greatest?

I dont think so.

if thats what YOU believe. like me ive watched tyson the most,so for me hes my favorite fighter,i like everything about him.his personality reminds me of myself.but greatest ever? for me no. I think its ali cause ive seen ali fight and his longevity and competition.but every1 isnt like me.

kayjay
01-17-2007, 04:37 PM
i really belive tyson was the best that ever lived till before he fought rudduck, altho he already started the transition from a boxer to a puncher. tyson was really a master boxer who beat his opponets with speed and defense what made him special was how he held his left hand high which made his jab and hook even more powerful as a boxer and still could use his feet very well. i fell tyson only reached abour 75-80 percent of what he could of been. he never even started learining the tricks and counter punching of a boxer , all he really had was the base and great fundementals before he started not using them. if he would of kept that base of a boxer and added a nice counter right hand with his movement and relaxed more in the ring theres no telling how good he could of been. there have never been hands that fast that carried that much power from a boxer not a puncher, tyson was a boxer who could extend his punches like a rubber band. from seeing what he did to holmes and in my opinion his skills already were detieriating and homes was better at 38 then most think and tyson took him out in 4 rounds. holmes also claimes his prime was 33 years old becuase of his late start. a dancing holmes and dancing ali would of stood the best chance . and truth be told to dance you have to have a great jab and holmes was better then ali's and they wouldnt of been able to keep tyson at bay. tyrell biggs did a hell of an imatation as did tony tucker and those fights wernt even close.. lennox lewis would of been way too slow for tyson. if tyson learned the tricks and used his legs and moved in and out he could of beat foreman easliy , what happened was tyson became a bully that only care about power and all his other skills eroded if he kept his base as the best fundamental heavyweight of all time and learned the trick and leg movement he would still be champion now. which is amazing for a man standing 5'10

It figures you think that

Brassangel
01-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Tyson, given his style, his roots in the sport, and the skills he possessed should have been to the heavyweight division what Hagler was to the middleweights. Unfortunately, he blew it. When he was given another chance after prison, he blew it. When he tried to come back again, well beyond his prime, he was forced into a fight with Lewis before he was ready...and guess what, he blew it. Given what he could have, should have, would have been, IF ONLY...Well, that's just it: IF ONLY.

Muhammad Ali himself, later in life, stated in an interview for a book (may have been for Ali Rap, I can't remember exactly), that, "...it's actually impossible to say who the greatest of all time is. The styles of old fighters, the training habits, and the competition are far different from the ways of today, so who is to say who the greatest is? Sure, I was probably the greatest of my time, but it doesn't make sense to say the greatest of ALL time..."

joelouisbarrow
01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
joe...nuff said

Yaman
01-18-2007, 12:37 PM
This stuff has become too old

Mike Tyson77
01-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Tyson is the greatest I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a few.I have seen tons of footage of Marciano,Johnson,Louis,Dempsey,Ali,Foreman,Fraizer ,Holyfield,Lewis,Ray lenord,Ray Robinson,Bowe,Jones JR,Basilio......and Tyson.

I seen many others and read many books. I love boxing and know quite a bit about it now. I still have a lot to learn but Im getting their.

Tyson is the greatest of all time. He did what Ali counldnt do for me, he got me interested in the sport. Tyson was the greatest of all time in the ring. He had heart to. He was gettin nailed in the jaw in both fights and still won. From 85'-90' he was something that nevers been seen before or since. No one took out opponants the way Tyson did. Berbick fought 24 more fights after his defeat to Tyson. All 24 of those fighters failed to knock Berbick out. Has anyone else ever won a world heavyweight title at the age of 20? Did Ray Mercer ever knock out that old Larry Holmes, what about Evender Holyfield? How many people knocked out Michael Spinks? How many fighters have knocked someone down three times with one punch? Did anyone else ever have to win each title one by one? And then beat the undfeated lineal champ?

Dempsey 1919
01-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Did anyone else ever have to win each title one by one? And then beat the undfeated lineal champ?

Lennox Lewis.

Mike Tyson77
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Lennox Lewis.

Wrong. He NEVER won the WBC,WBA,IBF,Lineal Championship from FOUR different champs.

Dempsey 1919
01-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Wrong. He NEVER won the WBC,WBA,IBF,Lineal Championship from FOUR different champs.

Yes, that's true.:o

Verstyle
01-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Yes, that's true.:o

OWNED.........

oh yeah hello butterfly:wave:

Yaman
01-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Hahahaha
magnificent duo, these 2.

Jazzy Paul
01-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Tyson was the best there has ever been when it comes to intimidating his opponents.

As soon as intimidation didn't work he began to regress. I don't think this would have been a problem had Cus lived a few years longer - had he kept Rooney as his trainer - had he never met Robin Givens - had he never signed with King.

Those instances were Tyson's downfall. Becoming one of the worlds most famous men at just 20 was a tremendous burden on his young shoulders also.

I really believed that Tyson would go onto be the greatest. Mentally, well, he wasn't up to it and there-in lies his ultimate downfall.

Dempsey 1919
01-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Tyson was the best there has ever been when it comes to intimidating his opponents.

No. It's this guy.

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/images/listonpic.jpg

Dempsey 1919
01-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Hahahaha
magnificent duo, these 2.

Which 2 guys are you talking about?

Southpaw Stinger
01-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Tyson77
Did anyone else ever have to win each title one by one? And then beat the undfeated lineal champ?

I think that just shows that there was an absence of 1 strong fighter to win it from. There were lots of c level fighters holding onto meaningless alphabet belts.
Winning the undisputed title from a guy like Liston or Foreman is much more impressive than beating a few low grade heavies holding onto a fragmented championship...

Verstyle
01-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I think that just shows that there was an absence of 1 strong fighter to win it from. There were lots of c level fighters holding onto meaningless alphabet belts.
Winning the undisputed title from a guy like Liston or Foreman is much more impressive than beating a few low grade heavies holding onto a fragmented championship...

doing it 1 title at a time in less then 2 years is impressive. most fighters get a title then fights a bum,get a title,then fights a bum,gets a title,then fights a bum. and usually only fight once a year.

****in tyson fought all of them in a row in less then a year! and no boxers really go after individual titles like that. doesnt matter the level of the fighter,it matters the balls of the fighter thats fighting those ppl all in less then a year at 21years of age. how many 21 year olds do u know cleaning out divisions in 9 months?

Southpaw Stinger
01-20-2007, 07:28 PM
doing it 1 title at a time in less then 2 years is impressive. most fighters get a title then fights a bum,get a title,then fights a bum,gets a title,then fights a bum. and usually only fight once a year.

****in tyson fought all of them in a row in less then a year! and no boxers really go after individual titles like that. doesnt matter the level of the fighter,it matters the balls of the fighter thats fighting those ppl all in less then a year at 21years of age. how many 21 year olds do u know cleaning out divisions in 9 months?

well it was a heavyweight tournament set up by Don king. Kingy wanted Tyson to be undisputed champ so he could make the $$$ Don makes unification fights when he wants too. It's still impressive but it shouldn't be blown out of proportion.

Verstyle
01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
well it was a heavyweight tournament set up by Don king. Kingy wanted Tyson to be undisputed champ so he could make the $$$ Don makes unification fights when he wants too. It's still impressive but it shouldn't be blown out of proportion.

naw some fighters that even fight 3 times in a year. or even 15times a year. not that many unless there bums

Dempsey 1919
01-20-2007, 08:01 PM
how many 21 year olds do u know cleaning out divisions in 9 months?

Joe Louis.

EsB818
01-21-2007, 02:33 AM
Funny thing is my story is very similar to yours. Both my grandfathers were amateur boxers early in their lives before going into their respective careers. I remeber having some interest in Tyson growing up, but my mom always thought boxing was a savage violent sport and never really let me watch it and I never got into it or anything. It wasn't unlike about a year ago (I'm 24)or so when I saw an ESPN Mike Tyson marathon that I became transfixed with Tyson and then boxing as a sport. I still love Tyson but I have now discovered other fighters and am a huge boxing fan because of him.

Verstyle
01-21-2007, 02:41 AM
Joe Louis.

WRONG.........

realheavyhands
01-22-2007, 07:58 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M4l0ZyKmeNE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M4l0ZyKmeNE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Verstyle
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M4l0ZyKmeNE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M4l0ZyKmeNE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

for some reason i love ****in ray charles jr. behind tyson. he is just so funny without even doing nothing.ahaha all i can read from his face when i ever saw him was "gold digger"ahaha

Dempsey 1919
01-23-2007, 12:29 AM
wrong.........

Right.........

joelouisbarrow
01-23-2007, 10:34 AM
i loved mike back in the 80`s for what he did...he put the heavyweights back on the map and made boxing the #1 talked about sport...he had amazingly quick hands ( not patterson quick though ) and his head and body movement was oft overlooked due to his punching power....his life inexperience finished him...his wife and mother-in-law from hell + kings intervention = the end of mike..they were ****ing with his head at a time when he was most vulnerable...i still watch all my tyson films as he was the most exciting heavy to win the title since clay in 64

Southpaw16
01-23-2007, 12:13 PM
The thing most people don't understand is he didn't know right from wrong. He just know he had to do something and would do it either way. He had no morals whatsoever; all he knew was that he had to survive. It was easy to steer him anyway because he had no one to guide him. While living with Cus and Atlas, if he did something wrong, they would say; no, don't do that, get back on track. After Rooney was fired and Cus died and he got into Don King and Robin Givens, no one stopped him. No one pushed him.

Ummm, not according to Teddy Atlas. Atlas has said that Cus D'Amato would let Tyson completely run wild because he didn't want to discipline him, because he wanted Tyson to win the heavyweight title while he was still alive. There is of course the famous story where Tyson groped Atlas's 11 year old step-sister, and D'Amato wasn't going to do anything so Atlas had to put a gun to Tyson's head, but supposedly he was just generally getting away with anything because it was obvious that he was gonna make them millions.