View Full Version : Larry Holmes's jab or Ali's jab?

Hard Boiled HK
08-12-2006, 06:13 PM
I was just watching the Larry Holmes vs Ken Norton fight, and although I don't like admitting it, it seems to me that Larry Holmes jab is faster than Muhammad Ali's jab. Is there anyone else that thinks this or am I just crazy?

Kid Achilles
08-12-2006, 08:07 PM
I think it was slightly slower but more powerful.

K-DOGG
08-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Holmes had a different type of jab than Ali. Ali used his jab to blind opponents for the follow-up punches, or just through it as a fast, slashing type of jab....once again, to blind the opponent to help him "disappear" so to speak. It was as much a part of his offense as his defense; but wasn't a powerful punch, per-say.

Holmes, on the other hand, used his jab more as an offensive weapon, which was a damaging punch in and of itself. He didn't necessarily rely on it to set anything up, though he could use it in that regard. Holmes's jab was a powerful jab with a lot of pop to it, used for busting up his opponents and knocking them off balance.

Holmes's jab was more akin to Liston's. It wasn't exactly used in the same regard as Sonny's was most definetly an offensive weapon in and of itself as well as a set-up punch; but Larry's jab was more akin to Sonny's that it was to Muhammad's, IMO.

Hard Boiled HK
08-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Holmes had a different type of jab than Ali. Ali used his jab to blind opponents for the follow-up punches, or just through it as a fast, slashing type of jab....once again, to blind the opponent to help him "disappear" so to speak. It was as much a part of his offense as his defense; but wasn't a powerful punch, per-say.

Holmes, on the other hand, used his jab more as an offensive weapon, which was a damaging punch in and of itself. He didn't necessarily rely on it to set anything up, though he could use it in that regard. Holmes's jab was a powerful jab with a lot of pop to it, used for busting up his opponents and knocking them off balance.

Holmes's jab was more akin to Liston's. It wasn't exactly used in the same regard as Sonny's was most definetly an offensive weapon in and of itself as well as a set-up punch; but Larry's jab was more akin to Sonny's that it was to Muhammad's, IMO.

So you think Ali's jab was faster?

K-DOGG
08-12-2006, 09:01 PM
So you think Ali's jab was faster?

Sorry....yes. Ali's jab was faster; but Larry's carries more pop.

phallus
08-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Sorry....yes. Ali's jab was faster; but Larry's carries more pop.

larry's jab was beautiful to watch, unless, that is, it was coming towards u

hellfire508
08-12-2006, 10:48 PM

Great post. I agree.

hemichromis
08-13-2006, 07:10 AM
to me larrys jab seemed to hurt people more than his cross this probably comes from being a left hander in an orthodox stance

realheavyhands
08-13-2006, 04:44 PM
to me larrys jab seemed to hurt people more than his cross this probably comes from being a left hander in an orthodox stance
where did you find this out , it has been a theory of mine

fistlegend
08-14-2006, 10:27 AM
alis was faster but less powerful.

Dynamite76
08-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Both were effective in different ways, but I'm going with Holmes', after all, he floored Ossie Ocasio with it.

Dempsey 1919
08-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Ali's jab was just as powerful as Holmes' jab. Holmes just sat on his punches more. Watch Ali-Quarry I and see ali flatfooted throwing jabs at Jerry. They looked pretty powerful to me.

Hard Boiled HK
08-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Ali's jab was just as powerful as Holmes' jab. Holmes just sat on his punches more. Watch Ali-Quarry I and see ali flatfooted throwing jabs at Jerry. They looked pretty powerful to me.

The jabs thrown in Ali-Frazier I were pretty powerful, too.

Dempsey 1919
08-21-2006, 11:04 AM
The jabs thrown in Ali-Frazier I were pretty powerful, too.

Yeah, that is true.

Southpaw Stinger
08-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Sonny Listons jab beats all!

Hard Boiled HK
08-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Sonny Listons jab beats all!

Not fast enough.

Southpaw Stinger
08-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Not fast enough

It was pretty fast. His huge reach, power and accuracy made his jab somthing special. He's ko'd guys with jabs.

hemichromis
08-21-2006, 05:23 PM
sonnys jab was powerful but slow
alis was fast but weak (compared to sonnys)

foremans jab was quick AND powerful it was his most underused punch

Dempsey 1919
08-30-2006, 05:13 PM
sonnys jab was powerful but slow
alis was fast but weak (compared to sonnys)

foremans jab was quick AND powerful it was his most underused punch

liston's jab was faster and more powerful than foreman's IMO.

Southpaw Stinger
08-30-2006, 05:24 PM
liston's jab was faster and more powerful than foreman's IMO.

Definatly. Listons jab was a lethal weapon.

Dempsey 1919
08-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Definatly. Listons jab was a lethal weapon.

Liston i think is the most underrated boxer on this forum. Almost nobody gives him credit.

Zigga
09-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Am gonna say that Holmes had a better jab.