View Full Version : George Foreman vs Jerry Quarry

Hard Boiled HK
08-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Who would win if they fight? Why did George Foreman openly dodged Jerry Quarry? Did Foreman think he could not beat Quarry?

K-DOGG
08-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Who would win if they fight? Why did George Foreman openly dodged Jerry Quarry? Did Foreman think he could not beat Quarry?

Quarry had beaten, easily I might add, heavy punchers Lyle and Shavers, so he had the right style to beat the crude big swinging Foreman. Whether or not George actually "ducked" Quarry is up for grabs because he had a $5,000,000 dollar offer on the table to fight Ali in Zaire. I'm not sure if that affected whether or not the proposed Quarry fight; but in the end, it didn't take place.

For what it's worth, I think it's entirely conceivable that Quarry could have beaten Foreman from a style perspective.

Hard Boiled HK
08-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Quarry had beaten, easily I might add, heavy punchers Lyle and Shavers, so he had the right style to beat the crude big swinging Foreman. Whether or not George actually "ducked" Quarry is up for grabs because he had a $5,000,000 dollar offer on the table to fight Ali in Zaire. I'm not sure if that affected whether or not the proposed Quarry fight; but in the end, it didn't take place.

For what it's worth, I think it's entirely conceivable that Quarry could have beaten Foreman from a style perspective.

On Quarry's website, there's the quote:

"I dodged him, purposely." - George Foreman

I suppose it could be because of the 5 million dollars.

Southpaw Stinger
08-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Foreman was scared of Frazier and didn't want to fight him. If it wasn't for the title, I doubt Foreman would want anything to do with Frazier.
Georges fears were laid to rest though when he fought Fraizer and I think the same woukd happen if he fought Quarry.

Quarry had beaten, easily I might add, heavy punchers Lyle and Shavers

Although they had shaky chins, especially Shavers.

If I had to put money on it, I would definatly back Foreman.

Hard Boiled HK
08-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Foreman was scared of Frazier and didn't want to fight him. If it wasn't for the title, I doubt Foreman would want anything to do with Frazier.
Georges fears were laid to rest though when he fought Fraizer and I think the same woukd happen if he fought Quarry.

Although they had shaky chins, especially Shavers.

If I had to put money on it, I would definatly back Foreman.

I didn't know Foreman was scared of Frazier. Interesting.

the traveler
08-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Foreman. I can't see Quarries punching power serving as a problem for George. Quarry cuts easily. I can see this as a TKO in 2.

boski
08-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Big George. Blowout.

hellfire508
08-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Foreman, despite tasting the canvas once himself. Quarry was a tough mofo, and hit hard. Foreman in a war, by round 4.

Yaman
08-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Foreman is bit too strong, good chinned, heavy handed and determined for Quarry imo.

The Raging Bull
08-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Foreman is bit too strong, good chinned, heavy handed and determined for Quarry imo.

I agree. I doubt quarry would be able to handle Foreman. He was, in my opinion, a much better all round boxer than lyle and shavers with better attributes.

Southpaw Stinger
08-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Ali took Quarry out in 3, Frazier took Quarry out in 7 so I don't see why Foreman couldn't.

Foreman wins pretty early.

The Raging Bull
08-09-2006, 09:48 AM
I say Foreman in 5 when Quarry cant take any more bombs from Foreman.

K-DOGG
08-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Ali took Quarry out in 3, Frazier took Quarry out in 7 so I don't see why Foreman couldn't.

Because quite often, Styles make fights, my friend.

I'm not saying for sure Quarry would beat Foreman; but I do give him a helluva chance to counter-punch big George to death. Quarry had a great chin and if a cut didn't open up...a big if...Quarry could, very conceivably, take Geroge into the middle or later rounds...which is quite possibly where George's "parachute wouldn't open," to use an Ali-ism.

Southpaw Stinger
08-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Because quite often, Styles make fights, my friend.

Indeed, and Quarry was a fairly small guy who was fearless and cut easy - which leads me to the conclusion that he wouldn't last against Foreman.

Hard Boiled HK
08-09-2006, 03:32 PM

It took Ali 7 rounds in their rematch. Quarry probably got stronger/better after their first match.

hemichromis
08-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I didn't know Foreman was scared of Frazier. Interesting.

you can see it in the first fight, foremans very tight a cautious untill he feels one frasiers hooks then foreman lets RIPP!!!!!

hemichromis
08-09-2006, 04:13 PM

foreman would have beaten him but it would not have been easy. quarry was a brilliant counter puncher, as long as he wasn't scared of foreman he would release nice straght punches right inside foremans hooks

Southpaw Stinger
08-09-2006, 05:02 PM
It took Ali 7 rounds in their rematch. Quarry probably got stronger/better after their first match.

Or Ali got worse...

K-DOGG
08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Or Ali got worse...

No, the first fight was stopped when Ali cut Quarry to the bone (literally)with a series of punches. Quarry just got beat up in the rematch.

Southpaw Stinger
08-09-2006, 05:28 PM
No, the first fight was stopped when Ali cut Quarry to the bone (literally)with a series of punches. Quarry just got beat up in the rematch.

Wasn't Quarry getting knocked about in the first fight a lot? Did he go down?
I haven't seen either of the fights.

K-DOGG
08-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Wasn't Quarry getting knocked about in the first fight a lot? Did he go down?
I haven't seen either of the fights.

No, he didn't go down; and Ali did come out looking to impress. However, it was the cut that stopped the fight, which was relatively competitive. The big question was Ali's stamina because it only lasted 3. Quarry never appeared hurt as he was in the rematch.

Hard Boiled HK
08-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Or Ali got worse...

Ali said that after the layoff he really never gained his timing and stamina back until the second Jerry Quarry fight, where he felt like his old self again. You can tell too, he was so ****y in that fight (more than normal I think).

Hard Boiled HK
08-09-2006, 05:54 PM
you can see it in the first fight, foremans very tight a cautious untill he feels one frasiers hooks then foreman lets RIPP!!!!!

Does anyone have this fight?

K-DOGG
08-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Does anyone have this fight?

I've got both Foreman-Frazier fights as well as both Ali-Quarry fights....but they're on VHS. Sorry.

Hard Boiled HK
08-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I've got both Foreman-Frazier fights as well as both Ali-Quarry fights....but they're on VHS. Sorry.

Damn you K-Dogg, you had me excited for a bit until I read the VHS part.

K-DOGG
08-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Damn you K-Dogg, you had me excited for a bit until I read the VHS part.

Tell ya what, I'm in the process of getting a DVD recorder so I can compile all of my fights on VHS to DVD....which should take a helluva long time. Once that's done, hopefully, I will have a home computer by then; and will then proceed to convert the data again....and I'll post a list of every fight I've got.

Mind you, this should take a helluva long time from now; but you get dibs on the first uploads. Cool?

Hard Boiled HK
08-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Tell ya what, I'm in the process of getting a DVD recorder so I can compile all of my fights on VHS to DVD....which should take a helluva long time. Once that's done, hopefully, I will have a home computer by then; and will then proceed to convert the data again....and I'll post a list of every fight I've got.

Mind you, this should take a helluva long time from now; but you get dibs on the first uploads. Cool?

Of course it's cool...can't wait. I've got 260 million dollars in the bank that I can give you (it's virtually everything I have).

Southpaw Stinger
08-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I've got 260 million dollars in the bank that I can give you (it's virtually everything I have).

You got me excited for a minut there.. lol

And I got the Foreman Frazier fights on VHS too so I can't help you for free.

Dempsey 1919
08-11-2006, 03:35 AM
Foreman in about 2 or 3. Quarry cut easily and his punches wouldn't affect foreman.

LondonRingRules
08-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Don't you ever think? Why did Quarry duck Midget Wolgast?

In the years that George turned pro, Quarry was KOed by Chuvalo, Ali, Frazier, and Norton.

Hard Boiled HK
08-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Don't you ever think? Why did Quarry duck Midget Wolgast?

In the years that George turned pro, Quarry was KOed by Chuvalo, Ali, Frazier, and Norton.

So your point? You answered my question? Why did Foreman duck Quarry? Hello?

LondonRingRules
08-17-2006, 10:49 PM
So your point? You answered my question? Why did Foreman duck Quarry? Hello?
** Cut to the chase. Foreman turned pro in the middle of 69. When was he supposed to have ducked Quarry? Quarry lost every minor and major title fight he was ever in.

Hard Boiled HK
08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
** Cut to the chase. Foreman turned pro in the middle of 69. When was he supposed to have ducked Quarry? Quarry lost every minor and major title fight he was ever in.

Foreman was quoted ducking Quarry according to Quarry's website, and I highly doubt Quarry would lie about that, especially when he quoted George Foreman for saying it.

LondonRingRules
08-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Foreman was quoted ducking Quarry according to Quarry's website, and I highly doubt Quarry would lie about that, especially when he quoted George Foreman for saying it.
** All you have is some Quarry website? The Quarrys did not live healthy lifestyles and Quarry hung on too long out of shape and punchy.

If George was gonna be intimidated, it woulda been Frazier or Liston who George idolized and sparred with. George in his first 13 months KOed Wepner, Chuvalo, and outpointed Peralta. Chuvalo had KOed Quarry and Peralta was a lot cuter than Quarry could ever imagine.

I spoke with George about Quarry. He rates Quarry high among heavies who never won a title, but, Quote: "Jerry was a counter puncher who gave sluggers hard fights." That's it.

George was ascending to a title fight while Quarry was descending into pug hell. Study up!

Hard Boiled HK
08-18-2006, 08:18 PM
I spoke with George about Quarry. He rates Quarry high among heavies who never won a title, but, Quote: "Jerry was a counter puncher who gave sluggers hard fights." That's it.

Are you serious? How did you get to know George Foreman? Are you good friends with him?

George was ascending to a title fight while Quarry was descending into pug hell. Study up!

Okay, I will.

LondonRingRules
08-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Are you serious? How did you get to know
** No, I ain't tight with George, I just caught him at the right time.

Shame is, Quarry ain't around to set the record straight.

Frazier's 15th round
08-20-2006, 04:43 PM
A Quarry/Foreman fight was in the works at some point when Foreman was champ, but it never happened. Foreman was at the fight where Quarry beat Shavers in one, and supposedly, Foreman said, "There goes your title shot."

LondonRingRules
08-20-2006, 10:03 PM
A Quarry/Foreman fight was in the works at some point when Foreman was champ, but it never happened. Foreman was at the fight where Quarry beat Shavers in one, and supposedly, Foreman said, "There goes your title shot."
** So instead he fought Ken Norton and then Ali, all overseas. Yeah right, keep drinkin' the Koolaide!

Frazier's 15th round
08-21-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm not drinking kool-aid, dickhead. This fact has been established for some time, if you bothered to look it up. Foreman even said "I dodged him, purposefully."