View Full Version : Did anyone catch the Discovery Channel documentary...

* FeistyWench *
08-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Global Warming: What You Need to Know, with Tom Brokaw.
It will be on again August 21st at 12:00 PM.

I've been hearing about this forever, but it seems like the more damage that is done, the more people start to take notice.

this is not a strictly disaster-ridden documentary. along with some pretty dismal predictions, we also are given tips on what we might do to help halt this great natural disaster. it is good advice for future generations and for now.

OptimusWolf
08-03-2006, 09:39 AM
EDIT: I didn't watch the show but it sounds interesting and informative - more people need to be made aware of these issues.

I think the problem with getting action on environmental issues has been mainly one of scientific disagreement. Until recently there was no credible consensus on the extent of a) climate change and b) the impact(cost) it might have to the world. Without this consensus politicians were understandably very loathe to put into force difficult measures to reduce fossil fuel consumption, and promote sustainability where the "market" could be seen to be failing.

It seems though that the science is getting clearer, and the mainstream is following slowly but surely. In the UK, our Conservative leader (shadow PM, probably future PM) is extremely green, and this didn't stop him getting the leadership of the party least likely to be pro green issues.

The difficult part is......we will probably have to take some sort of hit in our material standard of living some point along the line, because we simply consume too much gas, too much ore, too much water!

Or we could just sack off future generations and have some fun!

BrooklynBomber
08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Hmmm...I am a bike person and I also made my parents promise to buy a diesel car.

Hard Boiled HK
08-03-2006, 03:00 PM
How about Al Gore's "An Inconvient Truth" documentary about global warming? I heard it's pretty good and it came out not too long ago (3 months?)

* FeistyWench *
08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
How about Al Gore's "An Inconvient Truth" documentary about global warming? I heard it's pretty good and it came out not too long ago (3 months?)
yes, they both have received good reviews.

* FeistyWench *
08-03-2006, 03:08 PM
There are small measures we can all take to reduce CO2 emissions - scientists estimate that they need to be reduced by at least 50% if we’re to avoid the devastation that global warming may cause. We can:

Use low-energy fluorescent light bulbs in our homes and offices

Unplug large appliances (televisions and computers) when they’re not in use to reduce their drain on electricty

Lower the thermostat in winter (and put on more clothes!) and raise it in summer (and take off your clothes! :D )

Drive cars with the best fuel economy - better yet drive hybrids or use alternative fuels

Use mass transportation whenever possible

Telecommute (utilize computers & telephones)

Carpool

Walk! Suburban sprawl is not often conducive to walking, but if your destination is within walking distance - put on some comfortable shoes and hoof it! It will do your body good too.

Eat your veggies! who knew that going veg is a good choice to reduce global warming? The cost in CO2 emissions for transport of agricultural products across the country is high - but apparently it’s highest for meat and dairy. From the Discovery Channel info on “what to do” about global warming on their website: “The fossil fuels and carbon emissions involved in farming, transporting, processing and distributing food is enormous…also, because it takes 10 times as much energy to grow a pound of beef than to grow a pound of corn, it’s a lot more efficient for humans to eat the vegetables directly….” In addition, it’s better to eat locally grown fruits and vegetables that traveled a short distance to the supermarket than to eat artichokes from California when you live in Georgia.

None of these suggestions will make your life painfully inconvenient. We, especially Americans, have been terribly spoiled by modern conveniences. It won’t take much to continue enjoying those conveniences while we’re making sure that our children can enjoy a healthy, comfortable, safe planet for generations to come…..

(these are not my suggestions, i got this from an article about the documentary)

Bonafide
08-03-2006, 03:46 PM
The earth is going straight to hell.

Were all gonna melt some day.

Hard Boiled HK
08-03-2006, 04:55 PM
How many of us are actually doing something to help global warming?

jason100x
08-04-2006, 01:28 AM
I walk and use mass transit to get around. I haven't driven a car in many years so I am doing my part. But, at least I live in the city, I guess it's much harder to do all that if you don't live in a city. I am up here in the middle of nowhere in norheastern Connecticut visiting my parents and you have to walk far to get anywhere, although I guess you could ride a bike. At least I can get exercise and help the environment (and save on gas prices) all at the same time.

Smokin'
08-04-2006, 01:29 AM
No one's gonna do anything to help global warming. The earth is screwed soon.

OptimusWolf
08-04-2006, 05:15 AM
The incentives simply aren't there for people to do anything. I'd really like to believe in the benevolence of man but on a societal scale it rarely exists. For people to do something it usually has to be in their interests, often financial.

I hear people complaining about high petrol prices but if you were to factor in the damage to the environment and the scarcity of fossil fuels I'm pretty sure that the price of petrol is unnaturally low. Governments need to remedy this through taxation, but without the support of at least a large minority of people they won't be able to.

There was related study about the relative prices of cigarettes and alcohol in the UK that suggested quite strongly that cigarettes were over taxed and alcohol undertaxed to take into account their social costs. I'd take a bet that petrol even though taxed highly should technically cost even more with social costs included.

I don't drive (I live in London, little point) and use public transport or run to places, but I know that I'll be driving a car when I move back to the Midlands, and it would take very high petrol prices to put me off this.

OptimusWolf
08-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Just to add that in general I favour taxes and subsidies as a way of achieving socially optimal outcomes rather than prohibition, quotas etc, but thats the market economist in me....

MANGLER
01-29-2010, 01:36 AM
I used to watch the ones on sharks and animal attacks.

Hi-Dro
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I used to watch the ones on sharks and animal attacks.