View Full Version : Most Underrated Fighter of All-Time!!

ucbc0
07-28-2006, 10:22 PM
My vote....Aaron Pryor

Azteca
07-28-2006, 10:27 PM
aaron was an enigma more then anything else. over time, instead of being underrated - he has become overrated.

ucbc0
07-28-2006, 10:32 PM
not an enigma....no secret what stopped him, a raging cocaine addiction...without that he would have been invincible for 3 or 4 years...leonard was afraid to fight him and Hearns was destroyed by him as a gold glover

hellfire508
07-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Pryor is slightly underrated, however, that is only by the general public. True boxing fans know how good he was, therefore not being underrated. I think someone like Eder Jofre is the most underrated, as most boxing fans (I do generalise greatly here) don't even know who he was, let alone the public.

Azteca
07-29-2006, 12:12 AM
aaron pryor beat tommy hearns when tommy was a 17 year old - whoopty doo!

SABBATH
07-29-2006, 12:22 AM
aaron pryor beat tommy hearns when tommy was a 17 year old - whoopty doo! Nicky Furlano also beat Hearns as an amateur. Tommy had a dismal KO record then. It wasn't until he turned pro that he became a big KO hitter.

cple
07-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Eder Jofre.

Underrated might be the wrong word to describe him, since everyone who saw him realized how special and great he was; unknown may be a more fitting word. Whenever discussing the greatest fighters of all-time, his name is rarely brought up--if at all. It's a damn shame. Eder Jofre, the greatest bantamweight to ever live, has been described as the 118 pound version of Ray Robinson. And that's no hyperbole. He was that good.

Azteca
07-29-2006, 12:23 AM
exactly. i read that when manny started training hearns in the pro's he added alot of leverage and torque to his punching.

Azteca
07-29-2006, 12:36 AM
underappreciated would be the best choice of words for pryor.

thistlecrown
07-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Len Harvey for sure,
but just before and along with Harvey and just after him are 3 more and ALL of them better than Turpin!

Len Johnson
JOCK MCAVOY
BERT GILROY

honorable mention to Arthur 'Ginger' Sadd and Jack 'Cast-Iron' Casey.

Verstyle
07-29-2006, 02:33 PM
LENNOX LEWIS..........

RockyMarcianofan00
07-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Chuck Wepner for one
I know he fought and lost to a less then stellar Ali but people don't seem to realize just how much heart he had

look at his record he fought some guys that would have most boxers of the 60's and 70's shaking in there boots.....

skill wise-
Larry Holmes
people don't realize his accomplishments

I'll post a link later

thistlecrown
07-29-2006, 02:51 PM
http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Boxer:Bert_Gilroy:010247

Hard Boiled HK
07-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Larry Holmes is underrated for sure.

Scoody Boo
08-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Sean O'Grady. I am not saying he was one of the greats, but he deserved at little recognition. He completely owned Hilmer Kenty when he fought him for the lightweight title.

NJFighter91
08-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Chuck Wepner for one
I know he fought and lost to a less then stellar Ali but people don't seem to realize just how much heart he had

look at his record he fought some guys that would have most boxers of the 60's and 70's shaking in there boots.....

skill wise-
Larry Holmes
people don't realize his accomplishments

I'll post a link laterMy trainer knocked down Wepner numerous times when he was prepping Wepner for the Ali fight. Wepner wasn't that good IMO. Wepner still comes to my gym a few times a year. Nice guy in person but everything he says to the public and books is just crap and lies.

+= El Jefe=+
08-02-2006, 01:50 AM
i think is Azuma Nelson...

Hard Boiled HK
08-02-2006, 08:01 PM
My trainer knocked down Wepner numerous times when he was prepping Wepner for the Ali fight. Wepner wasn't that good IMO. Wepner still comes to my gym a few times a year. Nice guy in person but everything he says to the public and books is just crap and lies.

Like what kind of things does Wepner say are lies? I'm curious.

oldgringo
08-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Azumah Nelson gets a vote from me. He was a very interesting case. He refined his game over time...first relying on his brute strength and physicality to beat his opponents. He developed his raw skills and became a very well rounded boxer...a masterful boxer. He fought everyone, anywhere, anytime.

This is a guy who gave Salvador Sanchez HELL with only 13 pro fights under his belt...none of which were against great competition. He traveled the world to fight the best...australia, puerto rico, england, spain, mexico...wherever. I believe him to be one of the three very best 130 pounders of all-time. An all-time great featherweight indeed.

NJFighter91
08-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Like what kind of things does Wepner say are lies? I'm curious.

Recently I think, ESPN interviewed him and they started talking about the Ali fight and rabbit punches during the fight. Wepner said he was used to the rabbit punches Ali was throwing because back in Bayonne the sparred with a big rabbit puncher (my trainer) so he was used to it in the fight. The thing is, my trainer got so pissed and offended because he never threw rabbit punches in a fight or sparring.

Wepner usually just says things to make himself not look as bad on tv and to the public.

He even apologized to my trainer about what he said on tv. He said he said it only to not look bad.

Hard Boiled HK
08-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Recently I think, ESPN interviewed him and they started talking about the Ali fight and rabbit punches during the fight. Wepner said he was used to the rabbit punches Ali was throwing because back in Bayonne the sparred with a big rabbit puncher (my trainer) so he was used to it in the fight. The thing is, my trainer got so pissed and offended because he never threw rabbit punches in a fight or sparring.

Wepner usually just says things to make himself not look as bad on tv and to the public.

He even apologized to my trainer about what he said on tv. He said he said it only to not look bad.

Yeah the rabbit punches in that fight was ridiculous. Thanks for the example.

Dempsey 1919
09-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Sonny Liston. People don't realize how great he was. They just see an old, undertrained, and disinterested Liston lose to Ali, and they think he's trash. He was smart, very skilled, powerful, quick, a sort of Joe Louis type fighter, only stronger, with a better chin. Liston has a great chance against any heavyweight in history, including Muhammad Ali.

http://www.hk12.de/sonnyliston.jpg

sleazyfellow
09-15-2006, 01:13 AM
my pick is ezzard charles, he was a very good lightheavy and a decent hwyweight, ppl just seem to remember him losing to marciano and being "chinny" but i think he was good all around fighter, like joe louis...for me its either him or jersey joe that r the most underappreciated fighters cause they came right after joe louis 12 year reign as champ

hellfire508
09-15-2006, 01:23 AM
Sonny Liston. People don't realize how great he was. They just see an old, undertrained, and disinterested Liston lose to Ali, and they think he's trash. He was smart, very skilled, powerful, quick, a sort of Joe Louis type fighter, only stronger, with a better chin. Liston has a great chance against any heavyweight in history, including Muhammad Ali.

http://www.hk12.de/sonnyliston.jpg

I disagree. I think Liston is rated accordingly. He is underrated by some, but most people acknowledge his abilities. As for his fights with Ali, he didn't actually look that bad in the first fight. He was working pretty well, but he was bewildered by the movement of Ali. Sonny was used to throwing, hitting, and knocking the stuffing out of his opponents. Against Ali, he was throwing, and hitting, but hitting air. The evasive skills of Ali in this fight were amazing. Sonny seemed helpless, doubling, tripling on the jabs, and Ali just casually made him miss my inches. Remember, Sonny was coming off the biggest wins of his career over Floyd Patterson, two first round KOs. Sonny was past his best, but was by no means gone, he was still a brilliant fighter. In this case, it was more of a stlyes mismatch.

Yogi
09-15-2006, 01:51 AM
During my readings of various all-time rankings on the net I have found that Charles is generally rated as the #1 175 pounder of all-time, Pryor the #1 140 pounder, and Jofre the #1 118 pounder.

Now the question I have is...

When fighters are most often given the #1 position of all-time in their respective divisions by those compiling such lists, how is even possible for them to be underrated by us boxing fans in general?

Abe Attell
09-15-2006, 09:53 AM
maybe not so much by historians but people on this board rarely talk about Sam Langford

Probably the true "Pound for Pound" best fighter

http://www.iabpff.org/regions/site/sam1.html
http://coxscorner.tripod.com/langford.html

Dempsey 1919
09-15-2006, 01:12 PM
I disagree. I think Liston is rated accordingly. He is underrated by some, but most people acknowledge his abilities. As for his fights with Ali, he didn't actually look that bad in the first fight. He was working pretty well, but he was bewildered by the movement of Ali. Sonny was used to throwing, hitting, and knocking the stuffing out of his opponents. Against Ali, he was throwing, and hitting, but hitting air. The evasive skills of Ali in this fight were amazing. Sonny seemed helpless, doubling, tripling on the jabs, and Ali just casually made him miss my inches. Remember, Sonny was coming off the biggest wins of his career over Floyd Patterson, two first round KOs. Sonny was past his best, but was by no means gone, he was still a brilliant fighter. In this case, it was more of a stlyes mismatch.

He would have looked better if he was about 4 years younger, and was in better shape.

Yaman
09-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Gerald Mcclellan. He could have banged and beat the greats like Leonard, hearns, Hagler, Jones JR etc. he just didnt get the chance to show it for years to come.

That is why i pick him.