View Full Version : Is this the end for Sak?

seldomTap
11-28-2002, 08:30 PM
"Kazushi Sakuraba has been driven into long-term cancellation of PRIDE fights due to serious injuries. Sakuraba suffered a tendon injury in his right knee in his fight last Sunday against Gilles Arsene (France). Sakuraba is opting against surgery and will try to reinforce his leg muscles. There is also some feared ligament damage in the right knee. "

Sak has taken some beatings in his last few fights. Vanderlei busted his shoulder, Cro Cop busted his eye socket, now this...

I guess you play with fire, you is going to get burned, which accounts for the shoulder and eye, vanderlei and Cro Cop are two of the better strikers in Pride.

Should Sak keep fighting? And if he does, who does he fight now?? Surely he needs a couple of fights with guys a. his size and b. that he matches up well with ability wise...Newton comes to mind as a good rematch

IMO, Sak is one of the best to have walked into an MMA ring, it is a shame to see him like this...I hope he gets out before the great memory of him is replaced by a half crippled fighter who only fights nobodies.

realkaps
11-28-2002, 08:32 PM
Its time to retire for Sak.......

seldomTap
11-28-2002, 08:44 PM
I am leaning toward that thinking to...but I fear he won't...

realkaps
11-28-2002, 08:46 PM
He is going to become the Evander Holyfield of MMA.......

James Fulton
11-28-2002, 08:52 PM
He's got fights left in him

seldomTap
11-28-2002, 08:59 PM
You could be right James, and probably are...but will his next fights live up to the Sak 'legend' that he has established over the years?

First to beat a Gracie in MMA, then beat 4 of them. Wins over Newton, Mezger, Jackson...does he have any 'quality fights' left?

realkaps
11-28-2002, 09:06 PM
I seen they where trying to set up a Saku Vs. Silva III, that would be a wrong move IMO........

seldomTap
11-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Sak is not a good match up for Silva and vice versa.

this has been proven twice already...it is hard to watch the first time they fought and the second was over before it really began after Sak got injured.

Pride needs to put him in with another grappler type fighter that will play on the mat with Sak for it to be worthwhile. Big strikers don't do him any favours now it would seem.

HockeyFighter
11-28-2002, 09:32 PM
I think newton would own him a second time around. time to retire.

Leather
11-29-2002, 11:07 AM
I think he has done a lot for Pride, he has won the Gracies and other great fighters. He has done enough.

DOGGx0
11-29-2002, 12:48 PM
i think he has a few good fights left in....

as long as they don't stick him with the big boys anymore. he has taken the spot as defeating all gracies.... he should throw in the towel, but i think he has a few more in him.... as long as he is givin some guys of his stature.

world of pain
11-29-2002, 04:19 PM
I would love to see Sak vs Frank Shamrock. Sak should take it easy and let someone else beat Wanderlei Silva.

Fallout
11-29-2002, 06:12 PM
I hope he gets to fight Frank or Bustamante.

Someone in his own weight damn it

momita
11-30-2002, 04:43 PM
I think Sak needs to work on some different training. When boxers start losing, they switch trainers, plus work on different strategies. I don't think he will just fade away, he is to proud of a man.