View Full Version : George Foreman vs Ron Lyle

Kid Canada
07-22-2006, 09:23 AM
I had heard about this fight and read about what a great slugfest it was but until last night I had never seen it. All I got to say is WOW. What an exciting brawl. Two big powerful sluggers trying to decapitate on another. The funny thing is, Lyle came out in the 1st round trying to outbox big George, and was actually doing it quite easily. Had he stuck to that instead of fighting Foremans fight he probably would`ve beat him. Foreman would later say that Ron Lyle hit harder than any other man he ever faced.

Southpaw Stinger
07-22-2006, 10:13 AM
A great fight it was, one of my favourites.

Here it is for those who haven't seen it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KfeAFakak&mode=related&search=george%20foreman

LondonRingRules
07-22-2006, 10:59 AM
A great fight it was, one of my favourites.

Here it is for those who haven't seen it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KfeAFakak&mode=related&search=george%20foreman
** Yeah, hadn't see it in a while, so thanks for the refresher. However, George boxes well for the first 3.5 rounds. Then he hurts Lyle as George starts to tire a bit and is hurt back and the bout spirals into a slugfest. Lyle never gets enough credit for his excellent showing against George and Ali who got a gift over Lyle.

Nice to hear a sharp Norton offset Howie who always filled his shorts anytime anything exciting happened or not.

RockyMarcianofan00
07-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Yea that fight was crazy fight

I got Lyle v Shavers on my computer but I havent' watched it yet so I'm hoping that'll be a good one too

American_Ninja
07-22-2006, 12:00 PM

I got Lyle v Shavers on my computer but I havent' watched it yet so I'm hoping that'll be a good one too
I've never seen that one. Who won?

Southpaw Stinger
07-22-2006, 12:02 PM
I've never seen that one. Who won?

Ron Lyle won. But Shavers knocked him down though, but Lyle came back and stopped Shavers.

Brockton Lip
07-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Ali who got a gift over Lyle.

:rolleyes:

Southpaw Stinger
07-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by LondonRingRules

What do you mean man? It was a clear TKO win for Ali in round 11.

Toddy
07-22-2006, 05:21 PM
that was a good brawl. i agree with kid canada i think lyle wuda won if hed stuck 2 wat he was originaly doin but good fight non the less

the traveler
07-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Foreman looked really weird in that Lyle fight. He didn't have the same reckless aggressiveness that he had prior to the Rumble in the Junge. You can tell how the Ali fight really affected him.

Southpaw Stinger
07-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Foreman looked really weird in that Lyle fight. He didn't have the same reckless aggressiveness that he had prior to the Rumble in the Junge. You can tell how the Ali fight really affected him.

George was a changed man.

LondonRingRules
07-22-2006, 06:25 PM
What do you mean man? It was a clear TKO win for Ali in round 11.
** If it was a clear win then how come the announcers questioned the stoppage and Lyle protested. He was never out, he was just ropadoping Ali. That ref would have stopped Ali in the 3rd round of the Foreman fight if he was consistant.

LondonRingRules
07-22-2006, 06:28 PM
** Foreman had a new manager/trainer, Gil Clancy, who was trying to get him to box and pace himself more. His old trainer, Saddler, used to dehydrate him 48 hrs before a bout and whip him into a frenzy before the bell rang.

SABBATH
07-22-2006, 07:13 PM
** If it was a clear win then how come the announcers questioned the stoppage and Lyle protested. He was never out, he was just ropadoping Ali. That ref would have stopped Ali in the 3rd round of the Foreman fight if he was consistant.The fight was shown live on ABC with Howard Cosell doing the commentary alone. He did not question the stoppage.

Hard Boiled HK
07-22-2006, 10:05 PM

Define "gift".

LondonRingRules
07-23-2006, 12:24 AM
I saw the replay on ESPN with different commentators. Regardless, Lyle was not hurt a single bit. Had that been Ali on the ropes the fight would not have been stopped. Superstars always get the gift calls, just look at Michael Jordan!

jason100x
07-23-2006, 12:25 AM
wow, I just finished watching that one a little while ago. Great fight!

LondonRingRules
07-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Define "gift".
** Gift is when you're supposed to be a superstar boxer and a crude slugger out of prison is outboxing you and you win the fight.

I would add in Jack Johnson did not dominate his era. In their primes Sam Langford was the most dangerous heavy of the era and Sam Mcvea, Joe Jeannette, and Harry Wills were fighting the big battles, taking the big chances.

Dempsey 1919
07-23-2006, 12:36 AM
I like it when ali haters show their true colors. ali had lyle falling over the ropes twice. he was glassy-eyed and his head was snapped continuously. That was a clear stoppage win for ali. If the ref didn't stop it, then lyle would have went down in that round for sure.

SABBATH
07-23-2006, 01:43 AM
** I would add in Jack Johnson did not dominate his era. In their primes Sam Langford was the most dangerous heavy of the era and Sam Mcvea, Joe Jeannette, and Harry Wills were fighting the big battles, taking the big chances. Langford was soundly defeated by Johnson prior to winning the title getting dropped twice in the process and suffering "the worst beating of my career" to quote Sam. Johnson also decisively beat McVey and Jeanette prior to winning the title.

Harry Wills was employed as a sparring partner for Johnson when Jack was champion and wouldn't reach top contender status until Dempsey was champion.

Of course Dempsey didn't defend against Willis because he didn't grant title fights to black fighters just like Jim Jeffries before him and Joe Louis afterwards.

LondonRingRules
07-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Nice pic of yourself Sabby. Ozzy is proud of all his special fans.

SABBATH
07-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Nice pic of yourself Sabby. Ozzy is proud of all his special fans. Seeing how you're from Muleshoe and probably don't have access to television or movies I'm not overly surprised that you wouldn't recognize actor Rick Moranis...now go back to watching the grass grow...

Southpaw Stinger
07-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Seeing how you're from Muleshoe and probably don't have access to television or movies I'm not overly surprised that you wouldn't recognize actor Rick Moranis...now go back to watching the grass grow...

lol

spaceballs always gives me a laugh.

LondonRingRules
07-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Seeing how you're from Muleshoe and probably don't have access to television or movies I'm not overly surprised that you wouldn't recognize actor Rick Moranis...now go back to watching the grass grow...
** Now shush them Jagger lips. I only grow the hay fer horses. The sh** is that adulterated cr** you smoke!

Demorak
07-25-2006, 06:16 AM

Can you maybe upload that fight or tell me where you found it?

Ive never seen it, and I cant find it anywhere...only dead links

BoxingPromoter
07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
** If it was a clear win then how come the announcers questioned the stoppage and Lyle protested. He was never out, he was just ropadoping Ali. That ref would have stopped Ali in the 3rd round of the Foreman fight if he was consistant.

Are you Lyle's trainer? In the postfight interview with Howard Cosell, Lyle and his trainer acted like there was some kind of conspiracy going on between Ali and the ref. I've seen this fight numerous times and still could never understand why Lyle and trainer acted like this. They should have been glad the ref stopped it when he did, preventing him from further punishment and injury.