View Full Version : 90 pecent of fights end up on the ground?

Waylander
12-01-2002, 05:19 PM
I don't think that is very accurate. Ive been in a ton of streetfights, and we pretty much stayed toe to toe, the only ground that went in is when glass joe got dropped and i kicked him in the nose.

Anyone have a good argument for this?

realkaps
12-01-2002, 05:22 PM
I get tired after going toe to toe for a while if I havnt knocked them down already I usually throw a head and arm on and take them down get up and do the all mighty head stomp.......

DOGGx0
12-01-2002, 06:00 PM
[quote:7938a588cb="Waylander"]I don't think that is very accurate. Ive been in a ton of streetfights, and we pretty much stayed toe to toe, the only ground that went in is when glass joe got dropped and i kicked him in the nose.

Anyone have a good argument for this?[/quote:7938a588cb]

then you have not been in many fights. 90% of all fights end up on the ground. They start with exchanging blows...... but ALWAYS, 100% end up on the ground, just as 100% of all fights start standing up.

If they don't end up on the ground, then 1, you never were able/ powerful enough to put them on the floor. 2, they did'nt put up much of a fight for you to take them to the floor. 3, you were to damn scared to take them to the floor cause you might get ****ed up cause you don't know how to fight on the ground. 4, you were obviously not trying to serve a beat down, cause if you were, you would knock them to the ground and GnP thier face in.
5, vise versa on all of the situations above.

ParazIT
12-01-2002, 06:07 PM
mostly it i some exchange of kicks and punches then someone drags or throws the other one to the ground...unless one of them really really want to keep it standing..

Napol
12-01-2002, 07:28 PM
[quote:63f3d2d8c4="Waylander"]I don't think that is very accurate. Ive been in a ton of streetfights, and we pretty much stayed toe to toe, the only ground that went in is when glass joe got dropped and i kicked him in the nose.

Anyone have a good argument for this?[/quote:63f3d2d8c4]

well there isnt really much to say if u saw all these street fights go toe to toe. its ur persoanl exsperience vs. someonelses. but like i said before, i have been in tons of street fights and seen 100x's more then that. and only once have i seen two big boys who knew how to box go toe to toe.
it was an anwsome fight!!! my main reason to want to know stand up is because i seemed to always get ****in jumped!! i always have atleast two mother****ers on me!! so thats why my street stand up is very important. i cant fight two guys at once on the ground

Waylander
12-02-2002, 10:03 AM
[quote:2bff9c2db4="Adam"][quote:2bff9c2db4="Waylander"]I don't think that is very accurate. Ive been in a ton of streetfights, and we pretty much stayed toe to toe, the only ground that went in is when glass joe got dropped and i kicked him in the nose.

Anyone have a good argument for this?[/quote:2bff9c2db4]

then you have not been in many fights. 90% of all fights end up on the ground. They start with exchanging blows...... but ALWAYS, 100% end up on the ground, just as 100% of all fights start standing up.

If they don't end up on the ground, then 1, you never were able/ powerful enough to put them on the floor. 2, they did'nt put up much of a fight for you to take them to the floor. 3, you were to damn scared to take them to the floor cause you might get ****ed up cause you don't know how to fight on the ground. 4, you were obviously not trying to serve a beat down, cause if you were, you would knock them to the ground and GnP thier face in.
5, vise versa on all of the situations above.[/quote:2bff9c2db4]

Sounds like your spouting off what you learned in jiu jitsu and not thinking on your own.
Are you telling me that Boxing and K-1, kick boxing arent considered a fight?
I guess Chuck Liddell's win over Suloev in UFC 35 just wasn't a fight either. The only time a fight goes to the ground is if someone wants it to go to the ground. If your confident in your stand up, you should be able to end a fight rather efficiently.

12-07-2002, 01:17 AM
I prefer stand up to BJJ in a street fight, only one of my street fights ever went to the ground. Too much bad **** can happen when you are on the ground!

DOGGx0
12-07-2002, 01:31 AM
[quote:e8dcc3a069="Waylander"]Sounds like your spouting off what you learned in jiu jitsu and not thinking on your own.
Are you telling me that Boxing and K-1, kick boxing arent considered a fight?
I guess Chuck Liddell's win over Suloev in UFC 35 just wasn't a fight either. The only time a fight goes to the ground is if someone wants it to go to the ground. If your confident in your stand up, you should be able to end a fight rather efficiently.[/quote:e8dcc3a069]

True, however...... those fights are more controlled, so in a more NO HOLDS BARRED fight, whether proffessional or just a regular street fight, it ALWAYS goes to the ground PERIOD. Thats not jiu-jitsu talk, thats just normal situations. There is gonna be one of the fighters that will be a little better in that particular fight, thats how we have "winners" in the end, becuase someone is better...... the fighter that is not as good will more than likely try to take the fight to the ground. Or vise versa if the other fighter's game is on the ground as well and going for the gNp.

I will admit that stand-up IS needed, but the topic is *90% of the fights end up on the ground*, and that is the truth if you are asking for general fights(pro or street)/ NHB, or were you asking for Controlled Sport Fighting (ie. Boxing, Kickboxing, etc. etc.)????

Please, either clarify your question or it stands that 90% of fights DO end up on the ground.

Does anybody agree?

12-08-2002, 10:57 AM
I think most go to the ground (people who dont know nuttin' but drinking) because they start trying to put there "will" on the other guy and its tuff not to slip and if one guy is going down the other guy is gonna grab him ...and its now on the ground. Also option 2 is ... you start boxing the hell out of this guy and he is losing (and getting laughed at) he does a bull rush and a tackle.... also now on the ground.

almostoooo
12-08-2002, 10:59 AM
[quote:e029d19f72="Anonymous"]I think most go to the ground (people who dont know nuttin' but drinking) because they start trying to put there "will" on the other guy and its tuff not to slip and if one guy is going down the other guy is gonna grab him ...and its now on the ground. Also option 2 is ... you start boxing the hell out of this guy and he is losing (and getting laughed at) he does a bull rush and a tackle.... also now on the ground.[/quote:e029d19f72]
Sorry i wasn't logged in.

KimuraMan
12-08-2002, 11:02 AM
I beleive that 90% statistic only applies to street fights, where usually your in a enviorment that isnt usually the best for fighting, there's alot of hate and anger, technique is usually out the door and you just start laying into eachother with heavy shots and then the fall happens, and the person on the ground will be pounded viciously while trying to either get back to his feet so he can continue his punching, or grab onto the person handing him a beating and take him down to fight. Of course It wouldnt apply to K1 or to Boxing because it's not set in the rules.

Waylander
12-09-2002, 10:07 AM
The stats I have heard was 90 percent of fights go to the ground. Not any certain fights, just a fight in general. So lets take it all into consideration, Street/Kick Boxing/MMA/NHB/Boxing/Etc. Just any time a physical confrontation between two or more people. I just think it is inaccurate. I know having ground game is important, I just think that is a sad exaggeration, maybe as a gimmic used to draw people into a certain kind of art, IE BJJ. It's effectiveness isnt in question here, its the statistic. I am guessing that most of you put more emphasis on ground, in the bast that was dominating, what I see of the sport now is it is levelling out, we are seeing more fights stay standing up, and more and more knock outs. As I said before, I think a fight only goes to the ground if someone wants it to, and I dont think 90% of people want it to go to the ground.

paddan
12-10-2002, 04:43 PM
I owuld say more like 60%

DOGGx0
12-10-2002, 05:27 PM
[quote:a3067f3f14="Waylander"]The stats I have heard was 90 percent of fights go to the ground. Not any certain fights, just a fight in general. So lets take it all into consideration, Street/Kick Boxing/MMA/NHB/Boxing/Etc. Just any time a physical confrontation between two or more people. I just think it is inaccurate. I know having ground game is important, I just think that is a sad exaggeration, maybe as a gimmic used to draw people into a certain kind of art, IE BJJ. It's effectiveness isnt in question here, its the statistic. I am guessing that most of you put more emphasis on ground, in the bast that was dominating, what I see of the sport now is it is levelling out, we are seeing more fights stay standing up, and more and more knock outs. As I said before, I think a fight only goes to the ground if someone wants it to, and I dont think 90% of people want it to go to the ground.[/quote:a3067f3f14]

i will say it again, bro....

it is not an exageration! if someone is not getting punched hard enough to make it to the floor, then they might as well go to the floor. otherwise it is a ***** fight, cause if someone ain't droppin, something is wrong. people don't stand the WHOLE time fighting. someone goes to the floor, otherwise it is probably gonna be a lame ass fight.

...... kickboxing and bixing , etc. those fights are more controlled, so in a more NO HOLDS BARRED fight, whether proffessional or just a regular street fight, it ALWAYS goes to the ground PERIOD. Thats not jiu-jitsu talk, thats just normal situations. There is gonna be one of the fighters that will be a little better in that particular fight, thats how we have "winners" in the end, becuase someone is better...... the fighter that is not as good will more than likely try to take the fight to the ground. Or vise versa if the other fighter's game is on the ground as well and going for the gNp.

I will admit that stand-up IS needed, but the topic is *90% of the fights end up on the ground*, and that is the truth if you are asking for general fights(pro or street)/ NHB, or were you asking for Controlled Sport Fighting (ie. Boxing, Kickboxing, etc. etc.)????

12-10-2002, 09:27 PM
i think that statistic is bull ****, the gracies and other bjj guys created it to make people think that their style was the be all end all, it's true for the gracies when they say it because, 90% of all fights go to the ground because they take them there it all depends on whether on guy is willing. stand up is brilliant cause it enables u to end a fight in one shot quick from trash talk to ko, wheras in the street bjj is an invitation for a boot from the guys ***** friend, just my opinion though.

Big-g
12-10-2002, 11:40 PM
Well pure ground fighters will always..always beat pure stand up. Unless of course your names cro-cop!

Waylander
12-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Its a bull**** statistic dogg, quit denying yourself the truth. Saying something always is a certain situation, especially in something has volatile as fighting.

submission_guy
12-12-2002, 05:06 AM
[quote:1cffe54c91="Big-g"]Well pure ground fighters will always..always beat pure stand up. Unless of course your names cro-cop![/quote:1cffe54c91]

only if that ground fighter can shoot well, if not he can take lots of shots.

DOGGx0
12-12-2002, 01:00 PM
[quote:c74b2aecb4="Waylander"]Its a bull**** statistic dogg, quit denying yourself the truth. Saying something always is a certain situation, especially in something has volatile as fighting.[/quote:c74b2aecb4]

thats why you have to admit, that if someone is not doing **** to the person... the whole fight will stay up.

CrashZero
12-14-2002, 04:18 PM
their is no information to back up the 90% thing sinc that was just a estimate with no real facts but I wouldnt mind agreeing with it. I mean even in K-1 and boxing youll see guys get hit and go down or lose their balance and fall in most fights and they arnt even going for takedowns and all that.

Waylander
12-15-2002, 02:30 PM
If you count knocking someone out and them falling to the ground, the statistic may hold true. What I take that percentage as is 90 percent of fights go to the ground, and then involve grappling (ground fighting). I watch the fighters evolve, the fights are more and more focussing on stand up, as people are getting away from the dominance of jiu jitsu. Look at ufc 40, 2 of the fights ended by submission, and none went to a decision, GNP was a factor on 2 of the fights, so its getting more and more even as to going to the ground or staying standing, if that event is one that you can guage by.

GhosT^x0
12-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Waylander
I don't think that is very accurate. Ive been in a ton of streetfights, and we pretty much stayed toe to toe, the only ground that went in is when glass joe got dropped and i kicked him in the nose.

Anyone have a good argument for this?

Good argument? No argument, bud... it's the truth.

In a real streetfight, the guy who wrestled in high school is the one you don't wanna **** with... he's gonna handle a guy with a puncher's chance the same way each time. Ground and pound's been around since the good ol days of playin kindergarten-yard kickass at recess. No bull****tin on this one, 90% isn't even accurate... 100% of all fights end on the ground... whether it's you or him, you and him both, or one of you not stoppin when glass joe gets dropped.

PS: Tell me you've never pinned someone down in the sandbox and given em a sandwich, and I'll introduce you to someone who's full of ****.

seldomTap
12-19-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by GhosT^x0
Good argument? No argument, bud... it's the truth.

In a real streetfight, the guy who wrestled in high school is the one you don't wanna **** with... he's gonna handle a guy with a puncher's chance the same way each time. Ground and pound's been around since the good ol days of playin kindergarten-yard kickass at recess. No bull****tin on this one, 90% isn't even accurate... 100% of all fights end on the ground... whether it's you or him, you and him both, or one of you not stoppin when glass joe gets dropped.

PS: Tell me you've never pinned someone down in the sandbox and given em a sandwich, and I'll introduce you to someone who's full of ****.

Spot on Dave...it is in our blood to Ground and Pound...we are bought up on that style!

Bzob
12-20-2002, 10:07 AM
None of mine have ended on the ground.

True_Warrior4
12-20-2002, 01:39 PM
YA STOMP THEM IN THE HEAD

Waylander
12-21-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Bzob
None of mine have ended on the ground.

There we go! I would say less than 60% of the fights I have been in has ended on the ground. Normally I get punched and just lay there like a slug, its my only defense.

Bzob
12-23-2002, 03:20 PM
that is exactly right, In the past if I knocked someone down or if I got knocked down i would receive or give kicks to the head and stomach. I would never mount someone.

academiachuteboxe
12-23-2002, 05:04 PM
crowds love a stand up fight.

Waylander
12-24-2002, 03:52 PM
I definately think its more exciting.

Kempo Chris
12-29-2002, 03:57 PM
if a real good fighter doesnt want the fight go to the ground he wont let it go to the ground

I think 90% is totally inaccurate
just my two cents

Silver Wolf
12-29-2002, 08:16 PM
A lot of fights do go to the ground but 100% start on their feet.

Pac808
01-02-2003, 05:52 AM
In the two street fights I got into, there was some ground **** going on. The first one, the guy just dropped when I punched him and I started to kick him, then I tripped and we rolled a little but then we ended up standing again. The second one the guy hit me when I was not looking and then he pushed me into the bushes, so I triangled him and then he got pulled off me. Then I just punched his ass to the ground, then his friend pulled me off. Then I kneed him in the face when he got up again and hiis jaw busted in two places, then I proceeded to mount him. Then my roommate pulled me off for fear that I would kill that guy. So I dont know, with me, I just do what comes as instinct and what I know. If he puts his head down, knee him in the face, if he istrying to box me, out box him or kick him in the knee, but I would like to think that I can ground and pound better than anything.

Waylander
01-06-2003, 04:06 PM
way to give em hell tho pac!

Chuck Liddell is my hero when it comes to this topic.