View Full Version : Leonard and Pryor Sparring

SABBATH
07-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Azteca, as promised I contacted Aaron Pryor regarding his sparring sessions and this is what I was told:

Aaron and Ray have been friends since their teen years when they were both on the US Boxing Team and traveled together to such places as Venezuela, Russia, Poland, Germany, etc., Aaron and Ray did not spar together as amateurs since they were on the same US Boxing Team. This was right before Aaron became an alternate on the 1976 Olympic Team. But Aaron was Ray's sparring partner after the 1976 Olympics when they both turned pro. Aaron would go to Palmer Park, MD and stay for several months at a time with Ray & his family. They were just getting their careers started and they tell great stories about that time period. One being that Ray's Mom encouraged both of them to go to college and get real jobs since she didn't believe they could support themselves through boxing! Aaron & Ray are still very good friends and see each about 3-4 times a year. In fact, they had a reunion of the 1976 Olympic Team at the IBHOF Induction this year.

There was never any negotiations or informal talks to fight as pro's. Angelo Dundee has told Aaron's wife numerous times that he was deadset against Ray fighting Aaron because he felt that it would have been too difficult of a fight for Ray. Of course, both Ray and Aaron have different opinions about who would have won.

Dye
07-02-2006, 11:17 PM
thanks for that

Verstyle
07-02-2006, 11:19 PM
by the thread title it seemed as if u would have a video. nice trickery there ;)

THE REAL NINJA
07-02-2006, 11:26 PM
by the thread title it seemed as if u would have a video. nice trickery there ;)
Man do i wish ... :(

sleazyfellow
07-04-2006, 03:35 AM
i heard stories about them sparring b4 in legendary nights..it seems ray wanted no part of arron, dismissing his challenges n whatnot